Most Watched Movies On Netflix, Ever: Over the years, Netflix has had several rather significant hits, but it has never been easy for onlookers to quantify its biggest successes. With millions of users worldwide and a society that values marathon binges, it’s safe to say that Netflix is putting up some pretty impressive figures. Netflix tends to keep its ratings fairly confidential.
Both a streaming service and a film production company, Netflix produces original content that has received both positive and negative reviews. Although praise is good, the sole purpose of Netflix’s film selection is to increase the number of hours that viewers watch.
In terms of viewership, Netflix was infamously secretive for years. However, after withholding statistics for part of its programming for a few years, Netflix created a website in mid-November that posted charts of its most popular episodes as well as a global list of its all-time most watched movies. A never-before-seen wealth of information about what is popular on Netflix is available in the charts, which are updated every week and listed by the total number of hours that users watched them.
On the website, the top films of the previous week are published both globally and in more than 90 countries. Additionally, it aims to give customers a better understanding of the most well-liked programs on the biggest subscription streaming service in the world in the hopes that you’ll discover something new to watch.
The website also includes a ranking of the most popular series of all time, as well as a list of the films that had the most viewing hours in the first 28 days after release. In this post, we’ll examine some of these most-watched movies on Netflix following each title’s debut.
Recommended: Best Movies For Programmers
Top 8 Most-Watched Movies On Netflix Ever
1. Red Notice (2021)__ 364,020,000 hours watched: The movie was acquired by Netflix for distribution after initially being scheduled for release by Universal Pictures. Before being made available for digital streaming on the platform on November 12, 2021, it had a November 5, 2021, limited theatrical release.
It stars Ryan Reynolds and a select group of renowned actors, including Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Gal Gadot. They unwillingly work together to capture the top art thief and exact revenge against her when an FBI agent with a grudge finds one of the most famous art thieves of all time. This film does well to entertain and amuse any casual moviegoer because it is filled with both direct and indirect references to popular culture trends from decades past.
2. Don’t Look Up (2021)__ 359,790,000 hours watched: Before its December 24 Netflix release, this star-studded dark comedy had a December 10, 2021, limited theater run. An ensemble cast that includes Cate Blanchett, Tyler Perry, Rob Morgan, Mark Rylance, Timothée Chalamet, Himesh Patel, and Melanie Lynskey turn in engaging performances for Don’t Look Up.
The movie is about a ‘planet-killer’ asteroid that is headed straight for Earth and is discovered by Dr. Randall Mindy (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Kate Dibiasky (Jennifer Lawrence), two nameless astronomers who are forced to embark on a reality-shattering publicity tour across a social media-influenced society. This movie’s performances by so many performers make it worthwhile to see despite the dark and crude humor.
See Also: Scariest Horror Movies Ever
3. Bird Box (2018)__ 282,020,000 hours watched: Sandra Bullock plays the primary character and message of the post-apocalyptic film Bird Box.
Malorie (Sandra Bullock) and her two children are forced to use the one survival skill they have learned—don’t look—against this ethereal foe as a significant section of the human population unnervingly commits suicide.
Millions of spectators have been drawn in by Bird Box, which features an objectively weird ensemble that is all confined within a small area of one another. Bird Box had its global premiere on November 12, 2018, at the AFI Fest, went on limited distribution on December 14, and went live on Netflix on December 21.
4. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022)__279,740,000 hours watched: Tech tycoon Miles Bron invites his buddies to a vacation on a private Greek island. Detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) is assigned to the case after a body is discovered. Kate Hudson, Janelle Monáe, and Edward Norton are featured in the Oscar-nominated sequel.
With a significant cast shift and an increase in visual saturation, the slightly cartoonish sequel Glass Onion surprisingly works well as a terrific mystery movie. A teaser trailer for Glass Onion was released on September 8, 2022. The complete trailer was released on November 7, 2022. The Toronto International Film Festival is where the movie made its global premiere on September 10, 2022.
Recommended: Most Dangerous Snakes In The World
5. The Gray Man (2022)__ 253,870,000 hours watched: The Gray Man, a thrilling action film by the Russo brothers, depicts the disillusioned CIA agent “Sierra Six” (Ryan Gosling) as he unearths a sinister secret about his organization.
He is immediately chased by the ruthless and murderous former agent Lloyd Hansen (Chris Evans), who will destroy anything and everyone in his path to catch up with Six.
It’s justifiably regarded as one of Netflix’s most popular films, no doubt in large part as a result of Ryan Gosling’s outstanding portrayal of an enigmatic and fearless action hero. On July 15, 2022, a select number of theaters began showing The Gray Man; on July 22, 2022, Netflix made the film available digitally.
6. The Adam Project (2022)__ 233,160,000 hours watched: The effectiveness of Ryan Reynolds’ partnership with Netflix is still being demonstrated. The Adam Project was the next Netflix film from the actor and producer after 6 Underground and Red Notice.
In the science fiction time-travel film, Ryan Reynolds serves as a mentor to his younger self in a plot that features both spacecraft dogfights and touching family scenes. Along with Ryan Reynolds, the cast of The Adam Project featured actors like Mark Ruffalo, Jennifer Garner, and Zoe Saldana, all of whom contributed to the film’s success with viewers.
On March 9, 2022, the movie had a brief run in theaters; on March 11, Netflix made the movie available to stream.
Must Read: Importance of Technology in Education
7. Extraction (2020)__ 231,340,000 hours watched: The action-packed movie with Chris Hemsworth, who plays Thor in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, made its Netflix debut in 2020 and quickly rose to the top of the list of the service’s most well-liked productions. Anthony and Joe Russo, who also directed Avengers: Endgame, produced and wrote the film Extraction.
Even the major Hollywood companies struggled to produce an action film without an IP at the time, but Extraction’s success was more than enough to secure a sequel to Greenlight. The cast includes Chris Hemsworth, Rudhraksh Jaiswal, Randeep Hooda, Golshifteh Farahani, Pankaj Tripathi, and David Harbour.
8. Purple Heart (2022)__ 228,690,000 hours watched: Fans of films that use the fake dating cliche must watch Purple Hearts because it captures the special bond that develops between Cassie (Sofia Carson) and Luke (Nicholas Galitzine).
It’s understandable why the romantic film is one of Netflix’s most popular selections. It manages to provide viewers with likable characters and a love story they can root for, but not doing anything to reinvent or improve on the formula it uses. It was released on Netflix on July 29, 2022.
Must Read: Most Dangerous Plants In The World
Movie theaters are no longer the only place where viewers can get entertaining, high-budget entertainment, as evidenced by Netflix’s all-time most popular titles. It started as a rival to video rental shops, to the point that the massive Blockbuster franchise vanished, but it eventually developed into a global platform that also provided original content. Although not every Netflix movie release has the same amount of budget and production value, the service’s current output of releases allows a wide range of tales and genres to reach fans.