Best States for NYSC Corpers to serve in Nigeria: During the general Yakubu Gowon administration, on May 22, 1973, NYSC was established as a means of promoting national reconciliation, reconstruction, and rebuilding following the Nigerian Civil War. Dec. No. 24, said that the programme was made “with a view to the correct stimulation and development of common bonds among the youths of Nigeria and the promotion of young people’s rights.
The aim of the scheme is to foster patriotism among the youths taking them from their comfort zone in the home amd locality, to a different geopolitical zone in the country. Where they will camp with their fellow youths for a specified time. This will allow them to bond with people from other tribes, states and backgrounds, realising that indeed there is only one Nigeria. Nigerian youths who are eligible for service include graduates from Universities and Polytechnics. They are expected to register at the NYSC website, after registration eligible youths are given a call up letter.
They will proceed to the Orientation Camp in their State of Posting for a period of three weeks. After three weeks they are to posted to their Place of Primary Assignment. Currently, the State a corper is posted to is a very important decision to a prospective corper, opportunites for career advancement, marriage, training all depend on whicb state one is posted. Due to insecurity is several parts of the Nation there are also states some would like to avoid. Thus the aim of this article is outline the most desirable states prospective Corpers aspire to serve in. This list would be bases on four criteria. Theybare Security, Cost of Living, opportunities and Standard of Living. Thus the following are the best states to consider serving in Nigeria.
Recommended: Countries with the most beautiful women in the world
Top 10 Best State For Prospective Corp Member To Serve In Nigeria
1. Lagos: It is no suprise to many that Lagos holds the number one spot. For more than a decade it has held down this spot as the most desired state to serve in Nigeria. This is no coincidence, with a population of more than fifteen million, Lagos is the destination for ambitious youths as the commercial capital of the country. The state with its prosperous and busy ports is the number one place to serve based on opportunites. It is arguably the most developed state in Nigeria with extensive career opportunities, training, employment etc. Unfortunately it is very competitive due to the high number of youths choosing the state as their preferred area of posting, hence do not set your hopes too high during registration.
The cost of living is high in comparison to other states in Nigeria, but this is considered an acceptable trade off with the opportunities for hustle. Security in Lagos can be said to be adequate, due to the high population density with a such a large number of people living in small state, petty crimes like pickpocketing and thuggery are common.
However felonies like armed robbery, kidnapping and murder are relatively rare and there is an active police presence in the state. There is also a high level of stress that comes with living and working in Lagos due to the constant hustle and bustle so those with health issues should take reasonable care.
Recommended: How To Become a successful lawyer
2. Abuja: Abuja is another highly desirable state for potential corpers to serve. Nigeria’s capital city of Abuja is an excellent place for corp members to serve. It is renowned for its social amenities, first-rate infrastructure, and tranquil surroundings. Additionally, Abuja boasts a vibrant social scene that facilitates networking and interpersonal connections for corps members. As the capital, Abuja boasts excellent road network, relatively stable electricity in comparison with the rest of Nigeria and good security with active police presence in every part of the state.
Abuja also has numerous job openings in government agencies, commercial businesses, etc. Despite Abuja’s high cost of living and lack of salary for corp members, many corp members choose to serve there because, with the right card playing, it’s very easy to establish decent networks there. There are private companies willing to pay well for the expertise of young corpers.
3. Akwa Ibom: Many people in Nigeria want to do their NYSC in this particular state. You would undoubtedly fall in love with Akwa Ibom. It is highly developed boasting good infrastructure like roads and bridges. The state also has good electricity(by Nigerian standards), and the state is very safe boasting low crima presence and active police units.
As an oil producing state, it has low costs of living, cheap housing and cheap transportation. Overall a pleasant experience with the locales being very welcoming of the corpers.
Recommended: Most profitable skill to learn in 2024
4. Kano: It might be a suprise to many that a northern state might be this high on the list, due to the damage Boko Haram has done to the reputation and security of the North in general. However Kano’s place on this list is not unwarranted. One of Nigeria’s largest cities and a significant centre for trade is Kano. Kano state was once the most populous state in Nigeria; however, Lagos state may have surpassed it in that regard due in part to the Boko Haram conflict.Kano state had held the distinction of most populous state in Nigeria, but Lagos state may have surpassed it due in part to the Boko Haram conflict. One of Nigeria’s largest cities and a significant centre for trade is Kano.
Every corps member who has served in Kano would attest to the wonderful hospitality, reasonable standard of living, and possibilities available there. In terms of industries, it is unmatched by any state in the north.
5. Enugu: Enugu state is excellent. It has little negative qualities. Food is reasonably priced, transportation is equitable, and safety is ensured.
However, due to the area’s hilly topography, residents of Enugu struggle with a lack of water. Water becomes somewhat limited because drilling a borehole is typically very expensive and laborious. On the other hand, clean water is available in some places but at undesirable rates. Corpers in the state’s urban areas receive ₦1,000 from the state government each month, while those in the state’s rural parts receive ₦4,000. Since it is more challenging in rural regions, we think it is a result of the water issue. Despite this, it is one of the few states in the union with excellent employment prospects.
Recommended: Most Technology Advanced Countries In Africa
6. Ogun State: First off, it is a truth that Ogun State boasts Nigeria’s best NYSC camp. You will thus begin to experience the wonderful things from the camp as soon as you enter the state. Although Ogun State does not compensate corpers, there are numerous businesses that offer corporative employment opportunities. (Note: You might be assigned to businesses rather than schools if you enlist early in the year). The majority of Ogun State, including its capital city Abeokuta, offers various lovely homes at moderate costs, transportation costs are very inexpensive, and security is adequate.
7. Cross River: Cross River is one of the most beautiful and vibrant state in Nigeria. Boasting and active and profitable Tourist attraction in Nigeria, the indigenes are known to be hospitable and welcoming to strangers. The cost of living is also affordable.
Recommended: Major Causes of Divorce In Nigeria 2024
8. Rivers State: Rivers State’s capital, Port Harcourt, is where all corps members aspire to serve, but there are plenty of great local governments outside of Port Harcourt where you can spend your service year. Take Obia-Okpor LGA, for example.
According to Google, this is the richest LGA in Nigeria and among the richest in Africa. But wealth is not without class, and class has a price. Therefore, the fact that Port Harcourt is among the Nigerian cities with the highest cost of living is no longer news. Being an oil producing state, there is also an abundance of opportunities to keep corpers coming.
9. Niger: Be not afraid! Niger State has a higher proportion of Christians than any other Northern state. In the state of Niger, the sharia law is not very successful. Because of the Kanji dam, the state’s residents have more access to power than those of any other state in Nigeria.
Food and housing are often inexpensive across the north, and Niger is no exception. It is also extremely safe. However it has very little economic opportunities and it most likely that nost corpers will be sent to schools.
10. Anambra: Occupying the last spot on this list is the state known for owning the largest market in West Africa in Onitsha. Though it is not the capital, Onitsha is said by some to have more money than any other city in Nigeria, and the state is arguably home to the largest market in West Africa.
In Anambra, practically everything is inexpensive, including food, lodging, and transportation. The only issue is security, particularly in the vicinity of Onitsha.. Because of the market, Onitsha’s security is lax because both good and bad eggs mix in the market vicinity. That does not exclude you from serving there, though. Major Anambra towns like Awka and Nnewi are safe and excellent places to reside.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka, ACMC, is a lawyer and a certified mediator/conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a developer with knowledge in various programming languages. Samuel is determined to leverage his skills in technology, SEO, and legal practice to revolutionize the legal profession worldwide by creating web and mobile applications that simplify legal research. Sam is also passionate about educating and providing valuable information to people.