Best Tech Companies In Nigeria 2021: Nigeria as a country has been able to stand out among other countries in Africa, due to tech companies that are in the country.
We are presently in a digital age where the economic and digital strength of a Nation lies in the volume and quality of tech companies that are in the country.
There are a lot of quality tech companies in Nigeria which are part of the co reasons why Nigeria is referred to as the giant of Africa.
In this article, I will be talking about the best quality tech companies that are in Nigeria, which you may not know about. Do read along to discover them.
RECOMMENDED: Best law apps for lawyers and law students
Top 13 Biggest Tech and Software Companies in Nigeria 2021
1. Andela: The first best software company in Nigeria is Andela. Andela is an American company that has operational campuses in most African nations. It launched operations in 2014 to aid global companies overcome the skilled shortage of skilled software developers. It was co-founded by Jeremy Johnson and three other persons.
Andela company offers Engineering as a Service (EAAS). It identifies, trains, develops and connects African talents to the engineering team of global companies.
2. Flutterwave: Most of us that like using online banking platforms, won’t find it surprising to find flutterwave, at the top of this list.
Remember the saying “the young shall grow”? Flutterwave perfectly fits into this definition.
Flutterwave was founded by Iyinoluwa Aboyeji and Olugbenga Agboola in 2016, as a Nigerian and U.S.-based payments platform.
The company started with few staffs as a new company.
However, the quality service that this company offers, has brought it to where it is today. The company now has branches across African countries and the United States.
Amazingly, the value of this company is now $1 billion, amazing right? This is as a result of their quality service, as a result, it has attracted millions of users to them.
3. MTN: MTN is a popular tech company in Nigeria. I’m quite sure, 95% of Nigerians make use of their service.
The company was launched on May 16, 2001, and was the first GSM network to make a call, after the launch of GSM in Nigeria.
MTN provides internet and calling services in Nigeria. The service of this company is mostly used by Nigerians due to their strong signal.
4. Hotels.ng: Hotels.ng started their service in Nigeria in 2016.
The company takes up the responsibility of providing good accommodation for travelers by booking a hotel for them.
It all started as a small company, people traveling into Nigeria, can easily browse to the site, and book a suitable hotel near them, without having to drive around and search for a hotel, or getting stuck in a particular position.
However, their quality service has made them what they are today, the service of the company is now widely used by thousands of people daily, and not only in Nigeria, across all African countries.
5. ULesson: The world is becoming more digitized each day. However, this is not just happening on its own, it’s some people that are behind it.
Back then, the only way to read and learn is to make use of textbooks or learn from a tutor. However, this could be quite hard, especially when one is having a tight schedule. Nevertheless, this has now been simplified via uLesson. Students can now read with their mobile device, once they are on the uLesson web platform, or via their app.
uLesson started its operation in Nigeria in 2020 by Sim Shagaya, who is as well the owner of Konga (A popular E-commerce store).
The platform is aimed at helping students assimilate things faster. Today they cover all the secondary school subjects, and a detailed explanation of all the questions students may be battling with.
6. Opay: Opay is an online payment platform for Nigerians. Most people will prefer to use this virtual banking platform than their normal bank because you won’t be charged for any transfer you make.
I’m sure you know that, if you want to make a transfer to someone from your normal bank, no matter how little it is, you will be charged. However, if you make use of opay, it’s #0 transfer fee, worth giving a trial right?
Aside from this, you will also get discounts on the recharge card you purchase from the platform, for example, if you want to buy a #100 recharge card, you will get it for #97. This is not all, the platform also offers loan services, without requesting collateral from you. All you have to drop is your BVN.
You can also make use of the Creditme feature, to get loans faster, provided you only need a little amount of money.
7. Airtel: Airtel is a recognized telecommunication company in Nigeria, that provides postpaid, prepaid, and 4G services for Nigerians. Their internet service is easy to afford, which is why many prefer to use their service.
Many people whose work is basically online-based, prefer to use the Airtel Network, because they have good internet bundle packages, and their service is as well very strong. I, as a person, love using the Airtel Network, because their service is very fast and reliable.
Also see: Top online stores in the United Kingdom
8. Paystack: Paystack is an online payment platform that makes it easy for Nigerians to receive funds from international countries.
Gone are the days, when the ability of people to offer service online is limited because there is no means of payment. However, this is no more, with haystack, as you can now receive money from international countries on the platform.
9. Google Nigeria: Google Nigeria has its headquarters located at Rewane, Ikoyi Lagos. According to Forbes, Google is worth billions of dollars, and its service is actively being used all over the world. However, to make its service more effective, Google has branches in the most important parts of the world including Nigeria.
10. Ericsson Nigeria: This company will ever continue to remain relevant among all the technology companies in Nigeria.
Ericsson Nigeria is part of the early technology company in Nigeria, which exposes the country to the usefulness and importance of technology.
11. 9Mobile: 9Mobile was formerly recognized as Etisalat. The company is a multinational company from the United Arab Emirates and has its operation spread to most parts of Africa including Nigeria.
Among all the internet service providers in Nigeria, I can say this network offers the cheapest among them all.
9mobile started its operation in Nigeria in 2008, and its headquarters in Lagos. You can browse their website at Etisalat.com.ng, to learn more about this company.
12. Interswitch Limited: Interswitch Limited is another powerful tech company in Nigeria. It was founded in 2002 by Mitchell Elegbe and since its inception, the company has been doing its best to make online transactions easier and faster for Nigerians and Africa as a whole.
As a matter of fact, the company is ranked No 1 In the list of tech companies that are into processing payments for businesses in Africa. Interswitch Limited also has other subsidiaries like; Verve International (known for the verve credit and debit card used all over the country), Paynet Kenya Limited (a payment system in Kenya) and even eClat Healthcare Ltd. No doubt, Interswitch Limited is one of the best in Nigeria.
13. IBM: IBM stands for an international business machine. This company is an American-based multinational company that deals with software and hardware.
The company sells software and hardware, and the company does not only have its Nigeria only but around the world.
Ever since the company started its operation in Nigeria, the country has experienced a massive development in the usage of computer software and hardware.
14. Dataflex: One of the oldest ICT companies in. Nigeria is Dataflex. The company provides internet service for Nigerians.
In addition, the company has international partners such as,
And has its headquarters in Victoria Island, Lagos State, Nigeria.
In conclusion, it is pertinent to know that the importance of tech companies can’t be underrated in any part of the world. They help, both in the economic and digital development of a country. Do I hope you find this piece of information informative? If yes, kindly share with others.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ChMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.