Best Secondary Schools in Nigeria 2021: Education is the primary tool for sensitization, and it is the bedrock for knowledge. As Benjamin Franklin rightly said “An Investment in knowledge pays the best interest.” Hence the need to properly use the right channels to invest in knowledge, one of which is Secondary education which is very essential in the transformation of every Child to Adolescence; a period pivotal to their Career choices.
This is a reason why every parent wants their Children to attend the best Secondary Schools. I was once in that position, as a matter of fact my parents had to choose a secondary school quite far from our place of residence, just to get the best Secondary education for me and the knowledge I acquired there was invaluable.
If you are also a Parent Ward, or guardian contemplating the best Secondary Schools you can take your Child to? This Article best answers your question.
Also see: Cheapest private universities in Nigeria
Top 10 Secondary Schools in Nigeria (2021)
In no particular order, below is a list of the best secondary Schools in Nigeria today:
1. Christ the King College, Onitsha Christ the King College popularly known as CKC Onitsha, is a knowledge and excellence driven school founded by Archbishop Charles Heerey and fellow Irish missionaries in 1933.
CKC, Onitsha is anchored on Bonifade, Disciplina, Scientia which means Goodness, discipline, and knowledge. Over the years, CKC has lived up with this Motto and it’s Mission statement of partnering with Parents to educate the minds and nurture the hearts of students for a Better tomorrow, as it was ranked amongst the best Secondary School in Nigeria, and the 36th best Secondary School in Africa and has produced a long list of Alumni’s such as: Gov Peter obi, Olisa Agbakoba SAN, Justice Chukeudifu Oputa, Prof Patrick Utomi, Dr Peter Odili, Justice Peter N.C Umeadi, and Justice Anthony Aniagou who have all contributed to a better Nigeria.
CKC is located at Oguta Road, Onitsha, Anambra State, and their School fees is around 50,000 Naira.
2. American International School of Lagos: The American International School of Lagos is undoubtedly one of the best Secondary schools in Nigeria located at Federal Estates, Victoria Island, Lagos. The school was founded in 1964. The school is also one of the oldest in Nigeria currently.
Unlike other secondary schools in Nigeria, American International School of Lagos is populated by mostly international students from the United States, United Kingdom, Canada etc. This makes the school one of the most admired secondary schools especially in Lagos where it is located.
Another interesting fact about the American International School of Lagos is that the school does not operates with the curriculum of other activities in Nigeria. They have a different and special academic curriculum to meet the needs of international students. Trust me, if you are really searching for the best school in Nigeria, then this is one of them.
3. Atlantic Hall: Atlantic Hall is a Co-educational boarding School, committed to Academic Excellence, all round education, and fostering the leadership potentials of it’s students.
This School is an accredited International Examination Center, which offers an outstanding learning programme leading to both IGCSE and WASSCE.
Over the past 5 years, Atlantic Hall has received numerous awards for producing the best WAEC and IGCSE results in Nigeria. In addition, the School boasts of a very conducive environment, ultra modern facilities, high profile teachers, outstanding performance in not only academics, but Sports, Drama, and other extra curricular activities.
Atlantic Hall is located at Poke-epe, Lagos, and it’s School Fees is around 3 Million Naira per annum.
4. Loyola Jesuit College: Loyola Jesuit College is a private boarding School committed to the intellectual, moral, and religious formation of girls and boys of all religious Faiths, tribes, and Socio-economic background to be leaders in service of God and others.
This School provides a conducive atmosphere for focused learning, Spacious athletic fields, creatively designed buildings that complement the natural beauty of the landscape of the School. Hence making it a beautiful and effective educational learning environment. This is reflected in the fact that the School has been top in WASSCE examination ranking in Nigeria over the past 10 years.
Loyola Jesuit College is located at Gideon Mangoro, Karu-Karshi Road, Abuja, and the School fees is slightly above 2,800,000 per student and per annum.
5. King’s College: Kings College as the name implies is an All boys School committed to the excellence, Social, Psychological, and physical development of it’s students in a bid to making them responsible and impact driven members of the society.
Based on WAEC results, Kings College is the second best Secondary School in Nigeria. It is located at 13 Catholic Mission street Lagos Island, Lagos, and from my findings the school fees is around Forty Eight Thousand Five Hundred (48, 500) to Sixty thousand Naira (60,000).
RECOMMENDED: Best courses for art students in the university
6. Charles Dale Memorial International School: Charles Dale Memorial International School, is a Co-educational and multi-cultural Secondary School, which admits both National and International students.
The School is committed to developing it’s students, and providing these students with resources to become critical thinkers and lifelong learner’s through an International inquiry based programme of learning.
The school is located at Igwuruta, Ikwerre Local Government area, Rivers State. And it’s school fees is slightly above two million Naira.
7. Grange School: Grange School, founded in 1958 by a group of British Expatriates to provide education of equivalent standard to that of U.K, is a school which boasts of an excellent academic record of it’s student, and generally as a school it has been consistently top 10 in all external examinations written by Secondary School’s in Nigeria.
In addition, Grange School has a good record in Inter-School competitions, it also encourage it’s students to participate in Charity, and extra-curricular activities like Football, Chess, Swimming, Basketball, et cetera.
The School is located at Harold Shodipo Crescent, GRA, Ikeji Lagos. The School fees is around Three Million per annum.
8. Vivan Fowler Memorial College: Vivan Fowler Memorial College is the leading all girls secondary School in Nigeria. It was established by Dr. Mrs. Leila Fowler on 8th January 1991, in a bid to promote the advancement of women through quality, functional, and effective education. The School is also committed to inculcating in the girl child the pursuit of perfection and excellence, to raise a generation of young women who will uphold the dignity of labour, and develop with basic qualities of Independence, and also contribute positively to the Society.
The School is located at Plot 5, Billingsway Oregun, Ikeji, Lagos State, Nigeria. It’s School fees is Two million per session.
9. Greensprings School: This is one of the Foremost British International Schools in Nigeria. Greensprings School provides an all round education that enables students develop vital life skills, Excel academically, and also become lifelong learner’s.
The School has two campuses at Anthony Ikoyi, and Lekki Lagos. It’s School fees is between Three to Four million per year.
RECOMMENDED: Richest doctors in Nigeria (2021).
10. British International School: British International School is a Co-educational school offering a British styled curriculum, perfectly blended with key elements of the Nigeria provision. It is the best Secondary School for Nigerians and expatriates looking for a British education within an International settings.
BIS has been constantly recognized as producing one of the best C.I.O academic achievers in Africa, and it has the finest educational facilities in Nigeria which are of international standard, and encourage a balanced pursuit of Studies and recreation simultaneously. Hence, giving value for it’s School fees of Five Million Naira per annum.
11. Faith Academy: Faith Academy is one of the few Private Secondary Schools in Nigeria, which gives you top notch education, environment, and facilities at a pocket friendly price.
While there are a lot of Branches of Faith Academy, founded by Bishop David Oyedepo, the President of Winners Chapel International. The best are Faith Academy Ota, Faith Academy Asaba, and Faith Academy Goshen, Abuja.
Faith Academy boasts of a Sublime environment, Constant light, well disciplined staffs, Academic excellence, Spirituality, extra curricular activities, and inter-school competitions which are beneficial to the students.
The School fees ranges between 120,000 – 300,000 Naira per term. A fee which covers all your books, 3x feeding a day, hostel accommodation, Monthly Pocket money, and more.
Recommended: Top 10 Professional courses to study any university
In conclusion, while there are a host of other good secondary schools in Nigeria, the aforementioned 10 are just the opinion of the writer, and does not in any way preclude other Schools as a top tier Secondary School nor make the above solely the best in Nigeria, as things may change overtime. Same is applicable to the School fees stated above. It may change over time, but as at when writing this article this is the applicable School fees.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ChMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.