Best science courses to study in the university: After graduating from secondary school it is usually difficult for students to decide which course they want to study in the university. For students in the department of science, this is usually a big problem because most of the science courses are lucrative and prestigious.
On a normal, i usually enjoin students to go for courses which they think is best for them. That is, the course they have passion to study in the university. Apparently, passion is one of the things every student must consider before choosing a course and that is why i always recommend that students should align with what they are passionate about.
That notwithstanding, considering the fact that most students still can’t tell exactly what they have passion for, i thought it wise to share the best science courses any science student can study in the university. In this article, i will comprehensively explain the best science courses to study in the university and why they are the best.
Also read:Most populated universities in Nigeria
In light of the above, i enjoin you to read this article painstakingly as i will quickly list the best science courses to study in the university and explain why you should go for them as a science student.
You can watch the full video of this article above. Here, i gave more details about the courses mentioned in this article. Like and subscribe to Bscholarly TV thank you.
Best Science Courses To Study
Below are the best science courses to study in the university:
- Medicine and surgery
- Nursing/Nursing science
- Computer Science
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Medical rehabilitation
Above are currently the best science courses to study in the university. For detailed information about these courses, continue reading below. Here, I will tell you what each of those courses is about and why they are the best among all the courses available to science students.
Also Read: 7 key Characteristics of human rights
1. Medicine and surgery: Medicine and surgery is undoubtedly the best science course to study in the university. It is apparently the most reputable and one of the most lucrative science courses in the world. Medicine according to Oxford English Dictionary is the science and practice of diagnosing, treating and preventing of diseases.
It pertinent to note that medicine is not only reputable. It is also one of almost competitive courses. That is to say, it is more difficult to gain admission into medical colleges in any institution than any other school. If you really want to become medical doctor, you must be dedicated to your education. It is not enough that you study like every other student. You must read hard because medicine is not an easy course at all.
Note that medicine and surgery has many areas of specialty where a student can decide to enrol in. Below are some of the areas of specialty in Medicine and surgery:
Specialties under surgery:
- Gynecologic Oncology.
- Neurological Surgery.
- Thoracic Surgery.
- Colon and Rectal Surgery.
- Obstetrics and Gynecology.
In addition to what I have said already, I recommend you watch this beautiful video below. It will try to guide you on the best university to study medicine in Nigeria.
RECOMMENDED: Salary structure of medical doctors in Nigeria
2. Pharmaceutical science: Pharmaceutical science is another wonderful course for any student that is interested in the field of science. Pharmacy is simply the science and technique of preparing and dispensing drugs. Just like medicine, pharmacy is lucrative and highly respected as one of the best courses in the field of science.
A graduate of pharmaceutical science can work in the hospital, a pharmacy or with medical agencies of the government. Trust me; gaining employment is not a problem for graduate of the course In most countries. It is indeed one of the best science courses for science students.
If you wish to study pharmaceutical science in the university, make sure you take your time to consider whether it is something you will be able to do or not. Accordingly, consider the ups and downs of studying Pharmaceutical science in your country before deciding to study the course.
3. Engineering: Engineering is another wonderful choice to make as a science student. In fact, it is impossible to make a list of the best science courses without mentioning Engineering. It is a very important field of science.
In Nigeria and many other countries, Engineers are highly respected and paid heavily for their job. This is not just specific to Engineers in Nigeria or US. Engineers are paid reasonably well in most part of the world too.
Engineering is spitted to different areas, some of which are:
- Agricultural & Environmental Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Industrial Production Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering etc
All these are the divergent facets of Engineering. It is one of the best science courses for students to study in the university. If you are really searching for the best science courses, then i think you should give Engineering a try!
Also see: Salary Structure of Engineers in Nigeria
4. Nursing/Nursing science: No doubt, Nursing/Nursing is also among the best science courses to study in the university too. However, today, the course is deemed to be a course for female students alone in most African countries. This is only a fallacy and I advise you not to subscribe to that Ideology. Nursing is a course for both male and female science student.
In case you don’t know, Nursing is a profession within the health care sector focused on the care of individuals, families, and communities so they may attain, maintain, or recover optimal health and quality of life.
Trust me, Nursing is just like medicine. It is lucrative and prestigious in most universities. There are many sectors a nursing graduate can work in after leaving school, so you don’t need to bother about gaining employment.
5. Computer Science: Computer scientists deal basically on software engineering and design, algorithmic thinking, human computer interaction, programming languages, and the history of computing. This course is another great place for science students who want to study the best science courses in the. Computer science is lucrative course and it gives room for innovation. There is absolutely no doubt about it.
One striking fact about being a computer science graduate is that, you will not necessarily have to take files from one office to another, looking for job. Like i have already said, Computer Science is a course that allows innovation and creativity. Thus, If you are creative enough, you can channel your knowledge in the field to other sectors of the economy. All you will need to do is to explore your knowledge in computer engineering in your work.
Another reason why I listed this course as one of the best science courses is because, the world is rapidly embracing technology today. More computer scientists and engineers are called up to handle ICT issues in many companies in the world.
6. Dentistry: Dentistry is another prestigious course science students can study in the university. According to wikipedia, Dentistry is a branch of medicine that consists of the study, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases, disorders and conditions of the oral cavity. Dentistry is a lucrative, prestigious, and an ideal choice of course for all science student.
If you really want to study one of the best science courses in the university, then you should consider this superb course. It should be noted that Dentistry has for long been underrated in most African countries like Nigeria. It is still one of the best science courses to study in the university.
MUST READ:Problems facing lawyers in Nigeria
7. Microbiology: Microbiology is simply the study of all living organisms that cannot be seen with the naked human eye. Some of which are: Bacteria, Archaea, Viruses, Fungi, Prions, Protozoa amongst others.
Evidently, Microbiology is another good course for any science student. It’s also very well respected in the university. After studying this course, you will be able work in universities, hospitals, medical schools, government laboratories, and almost every industry. As a Microbiologist, your job is to study microorganisms.
MUST READ: Proven ways to know an intelligent person
8. Radiography: Wikipedia postulates that radiography is an imaging technique using X-rays, gamma rays, or similar ionizing radiation and non-ionizing radiation to view the internal form of an object. Thus, radiographers are people who take images of the insides of a sick patient’s body in other to diagnose injuries or diseases. They also care of people with cancer.
Radiography is undoubtedly one of the best science courses you can study in the university. Many students don’t actually know this. In Nigeria, Radiography is seen as a course that is out of class because it is not competitive.
Well, it will surprise you to know that radiography is very lucrative and very prestigious too. As a radiographer, you can work most medical hospitals and get paid for your services. Trust me; this is one of the course you should consider studying if you still don’t know the best science course to study.
9. Medical Laboratory Science: Medical Laboratory Science is not as popular as other courses I have discussed already but it is still one of the best choices for students in the field of science. A medical laboratory scientist (MLS) is also called a clinical laboratory scientist (CLS) or a medical technologist (MT).
According to Wikipedia, Medical laboratory scientists work in clinical laboratories at hospitals, reference labs, biotechnology labs and non-clinical industrial labs. To some extent, I will say that Medical Laboratory Science is also a lucrative. It is usually resorted to by students who are unable to gain admission into the college of medicine.
10. Medical rehabilitation: The last on my list of the best science courses to study in the university is Medical rehabilitation. It is another wonderful course you should consider if you really want to study the best course in the field of science. Medical rehabilitation is a branch of medicine, aimed at enhancing and restoring the functional ability and quality of life to those with physical impairments or disabilities.
Medical rehabilitation is alternatively called physiatry or physiatrics. It is a competitive course in most Nigerian university. That is to say, if you really want to study this course, you must work hard.
In most countries, graduates of Medical rehabilitation easily get job after graduating. They can work with Teaching Hospitals, Armed forces, Sports organizations and even industries.
11. Agricultural sciences: Apparently, Agriculture is one of those courses that has been looked down on by many people. The reason is because almost every graduate is expecting to be employed to do a white-collar job. This is so pathetic but it is the reality here.
Suffice to say that Agriculture is one of the most paying and lucrative field in the country. A graduate of agricultural science in Nigeria who knows what he went to school to study does not even need to be employed by anyone because the course is a job already.
Another wonderful thing about agricultural sciences is the fact that it doesn’t take too much time to study in tertiary institution. In the university, it is just 4 years. During their study, students will be trained in both the practical and theoretical aspects of the course.
According to Wikipedia, there are different facets or branches of agricultural where one can decide to go into. Some of which are: Aquafarming, Farming, Apiculture (Beekeeping), Fishery, Forestry, Ranching etc.
If you are a science student and you have an entrepreneurship mindset, I highly recommend that you choose to study this course. Trust me, you will not regret it in the long run.
Recommended: Salary of Medical Doctors in Nigeria (2021)
Guide for Choosing A Course to Study in the University
In as much as I have explained the best course for science students above, it is also imperative to know that not all the courses mentioned above will be suitable for you. However, below are the things that will guide you when choosing a course to study in the university.
1. Know your capability: Knowing your capability is very key when choosing a course of study in the university. Most students only consider the prestige giving to the course they want to study, but believe me, that has led so many students to doom. You should not choose a particular course because the society respects is, neither should you choose a course because your friends did so.
The most important factor you must consider when choosing a course to study, is your ability to carry that course. Do not choose because your friends did so, but choose because you believe you can carry the work load of that course. Yes, no particular course is easy, but some are more debilitating than the other. If you fail to do this, then you must prepare to get traumatized while in school.
2. Follow your passion: Slightly after considering your capability to study a particular course, is your passion for that course. This is another essential factor you should consider when choosing a course to study. Who must consider that which you love doing, and follow it up in the University by choosing a course that is related to it.
Some students may think, that their passion/talents, has nothing to do with it. But the truth is that, it really has something to do with your education. Chinua Achebe (generally known as the father of the African literature), was originally supposed to be on the medical field, but he left it, because he wanted to follow his passion.
Today, Chinua Achebe is respected throughout the whole Africa, as the father of the African literature. So you see, you should not choose, on the basics of profitability first, but let your passion play.
3. Consider your economic power: Your economic power (money) is another determining factor when choosing a course to study in the university. There are some university courses, that requires very huge amount of money before a student becomes a graduates of that course.
This money perhaps, may not be a very big problem to those who have it. But it will definitely be a great obstacle to those with less economic power (money). So, before choosing any university course, make sure your economic power will meet up to the demands of that course. This is to prevent you from dropping out later.
4. Duration of study: Your course duration may sometimes mater. Before choosing any course, it is important you consider the duration of that course. I know there are people who will not want to waste much of their time in the university, people who will want to graduate as fast as possible, for various reasons know to them.
So, if you are under this category of persons, then you must consider this factor. Even at this, it is also very important to consider your course duration before choosing any course.
5. Consider your chances of gaining admission: It also essential to also know your chance of gaining admission, if you decide to study a particular course. Especially here in Nigeria. As a student, you should know that there are some courses that are tag, “too hard to get“. And as so, it very tedious to gain admission to study those kind of courses. So before choosing any course, make sure you know how difficult or how easy, it is to gain admission to study that course.
6. Employment Opportunity: Before choosing any course to study in the University, it is important to also consider your chances of getting employed after you must have finished studying that course.
I may not mention any course in particular here because many things come into play when deciding which course has more employment rate than the other. Nonetheless, I strongly recommend that, before choosing any course, you should also consider your chances of getting employed.
Those are the best science courses any student can study in the university. Remember that this article is only to help science students when deciding which course they will study in the university.
If after reading this article, you still don’t know which science course to study in the university, i enjoin you to contact me via our contact us page so I can guide you on the right course for free. Nonetheless, have at the back of your mind that the courses I mentioned above are the most lucrative and best science courses for any student.
Hope this article was helpful? Do let me know if you still have questions or contributions to make on the best science courses for science students.