Best universities to study nursing in Nigeria: Nursing/Nursing science is a very prestigious and competitive course in Nigeria currently. In most developed countries, nurses are paid better than doctors and lawyers; but that is not the case in Nigeria anyway. Only few nurses that graduate from Nigerian schools are eventually employed in big and high paying hospitals.
Most times, In deciding whether to employ a graduate of nursing or not, some of the big hospitals in Nigeria considers the institution which the graduate attended. Conversely, employers are more likely to employ people who attended the best schools of nursing. The reason is because, people believe that graduate who attended the best institutions in Nigeria are brighter than those that attended just any institution. In light of the above, i will be disclosing the best universities to study nursing in Nigeria. So, if you are aspiring to become a nurse in Nigeria and you do not know which institution to attend yet, make sure you read this article carefully before making your choice of institution.
It is important to know that the universities mentioned in this page were not gotten from the air. A thorough reasear has been conducted before reaching this list.
Top 16 Universities To Study Nursing in Nigeria
Below are the best universities to study nursing in Nigeria this 2024:
- University of Lagos (UNILAG);
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN);
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN);
- University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT);
- University of IBADAN (UI);
- Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital School of Nursing;
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife (OAU);
- University of Jos (UNIJOS);
- University of Benin (UNIBEN);
- Lagos State University (LASU);
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK);
- University of Abuja (UNIABUJA);
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Bowen University Iwo (BUI)
- Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital
- Evangelical Church Winning All (ECWA) School Of Nursing Sciences
Those are the best schools in Nigeria you can study nursing in 2024. If you wish to know more about these institutions, i enjoin you to continue reading as I will give you detailed information about each one of them.
1. University of Lagos (UNILAG): UNILAG is undoubtedly the best university to study nursing in Nigeria. The university was established in 1962 at University Road, Akoka, Lagos State, Nigeria.
It is pertinent to note that after UNILAG was established in 1962, the university did not have a department of nursing until 2009. On Wednesday, August 5th 2009, the Academic Board of the College received to letter that consented to the offering of nursing in UNILAG.
However the programme was to be domiciled as a unit in the Department of Medicine, Faculty of Clinical Sciences as approved by Senate until they achieved a departmental status. The first class of eight students were admitted during the 2009/2010 academic session, and that was actually how the department of nursing stated in UNILAG.
Currently, UNILAG has the best department of nursing in Nigeria. The institution has succeeded in building a place where students aspiring to become nurses will be thoroughly trained to meet the international requirements of a professional nurse. Check here to see UNILAG admission requirements for every course.
Also read: Top 10 Richest pastors in the world
2. University of Ilorin (UNILORIN): Another good school to study nursing in Nigeria is the University of Ilorin (UNILORIN). UNILORIN is the second best university in Nigeria according to UPeople. It was established in 1975 at Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria. It will surprise you to know that UNILORIN is also one of the most competitive and most populated institutions in Nigeria.
Accordingly to the management of UNILORIN, the institution is bent on preparing undergraduates of nursing to think effectively, to communicate thoughts and to discriminate among values. In other words, one of the focuses of the institution is to make their nursing students exceptionally good in the profession. It is essential to know that the department of nursing in UNILORIN is under the College of Health Sciences. The department is very competitive and only students that actually meet the university’s admission requirements are offered admission.
Requirements for nursing in UNILORIN
Below are the requirements for nursing in UNILORIN:
- Direct entry candidates required to have a registered Nurse (RN) Certificate in addition to UTME requirements.
- Candidates are to have, at least, Two ‘A’ Level passes chosen from Biology, Chemistry and Physics in addition to UTME requirements.
- UTME and Direct Entry candidates must possess five O’Level Credits passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology
- Lastly, UTME students are to have the following UTME combination; English Language, Physics and Chemistry.
Also read: How to start a blog and make money in school
3. University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN): The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) is one of the outstanding institutions in Nigeria. It was established in 1960 at Nsukka, Enugu state, Nigeria as the first and only Indigenous university of Nigeria.
Apparently, UNN is also one of the best places to study nursing in Nigeria. Just like every other university, UNN’s department of nursing is under the institution’s college of Health Sciences & Technology. Nursing undergraduates in UNN believes that they are naturally above students of other institutions in Nigeria, and of course, they do. In fact, employers usually prefer students of this institution more than students of other institutions in Nigeria. The reason is because, UNN is the most recognized and official university of Nigeria.
One the driving forces of UNN department of nursing is the fact that a primary health-care is the fundamental framework for the organization of care in the helping relationship.
4. University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT): UNIPORT is one of the best state universities in Nigeria. It was established in 1975 at Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria. Over the years, UNIPORT has also been one of the most soughted institutions in Nigeria, as thousands of students keep applying for admission every year.
The department of nursing in UNIPORT is a hot cake in the school. I mean, it is one of the most competitive departments you can think of in the school. Conversely, gaining admission into the department isn’t very difficult, as only students that meets UNIPORT admissions requirements for nursing will eventually be admitted into the school.
Requirements for nursing in UNIPORT
Below are the requirements for nursing in UNIPORT:
- Direct entry candidates must possess two A’level passes from Biology/Zoology, Chemistry and Physics plus 3 other O’level credit passes in Mathematics, Physics and English Language.
- Accordingly, candidates must have NRN or its approved equivalent plus O’level requirements.
- I strongly advise you to check here if you wish to see more of the requirements for admission into UNIPORT.
Also read: Largest States in Nigeria: Top 10
5. University of Ibadan (UI): The University of Ibadan (UI) is not only one of the best universities to study nursing in Nigeria, it is actually the best in Nigeria. Yes! I mean, the best amongst all all the universities in Nigeria. UI was established in 1948 during the colonial erra by the colonial masters to forster education in Nigeria.
Like every other institution I have mentioned, nursing in UI is very competitive. It is competitive because UI is one the best universities to study nursing in Nigeria. During the programme, students will learn about the basic human needs, nursing processes and the continual promotion of health. Students will also acquire diverse skills related to the areas of disease prevention, surgical asepsis, wound care, physical well-being, etc. After studying in the university, students will receive a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing (BSc Nursing).
Requirements for nursing in the University of Ibadan (UI)
Below are the requirements for nursing in the University of Ibadan (UI):
- Firstly, direct entry and UTME candidates must possess five SSCE credit passes in Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Physics and English Language.
- Direct entry candidates must possess two A’level passes from Biology/Zoology, Chemistry and Physics plus 3 other O’level credit passes in Mathematics, Physics and English Language.
- UTME candidates must use the following subject combination: English, Physics Chemistry and Biology
- Candidates can also apply for admission using NRN or its approved equivalent plus five O’level credit passes in English Language and one Science subjects chosen from Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Human Anatomy, Physiology and Hygiene, Health Science, Further Mathematics and General Science.
6. Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital School of Nursing: Situated in Kaduna State, Zaria town to be precise, the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital School of Nursing also ranks as one of the best Nursing Schools in the country.
Among other things, it has an age limit requirement for its students. Candidates applying for admission into the School must not be below eighteen years of age or above twenty-six years of age. It also requires applicants to write an entrance test examination, in addition to an interview before they are granted admission.
Like many other Nursing Schools in Nigeria, Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital School of Nursing, Zaria runs a three-year nursing programme. It also has up-to-date laboratories facilities that eases the conduction of practicals necessitated by the curriculum. It also has an equipped library that is openly accessible by students.
7. Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife (OAU): Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife is popularly known as OAU. It was established in 1961 to facilitate the growth and development of the standard of education in Nigeria. Believe it or not, OAU has one the best departments of nursing in Nigeria.
Even in the Labour market, students of OAU are generally deemed to be more proficient than many other school in Nigeria. Though, it is very difficult to gain admission into the institution. In other words, students that do not meet OAU departmental cutoff mark and admission requirements are usually not offered admission into the institution.
Nonetheless, OAU is really good for anyone that wants to study law in Nigeria. According to the management of the university, the department of nursing was established to give students sound understanding of the subjects from the point of view of health care. Trust me; OAU is a good place to study nursing in Nigeria.
8. University of Jos (UNIJOS): UNIJOS is one of the prestigious state universities in Northern Nigeria. The university was established 1975 in at Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria. Based on research, UNIJOS has one of the best departments of nursing in Nigeria. Frankly speaking, UNIJOS is the least university that anyone will expect to be in this list because the university is less competitive. However, based on research, UNIJOS is actually one of the best when it comes to studying nursing in Nigeria.
If you wish to gain admission into UNIJOS department of nursing, check out the institutions admission requirements here. This will help you to know the things you need to gain admission into the UNIJOS department of nursing this year.
9. University of Benin (UNIBEN): UNIBEN is one of the popular and prestigious universities in Nigeria. It was established in 1970 at Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria, as a step towards bringing education to every part of Nigeria.
Believe it or not, UNIBEN is a good choice of institution to study nursing in Nigeria because the university has a very high reputation. Conversely, any student that studies in the university is generally seen as qualified in their area.
To gain admission into UNIBEN department of nursing, candidates must meet all the requirements for admission into the institution. Check here to see UNIBEN Admission Requirements for this academic session.
10. Lagos State University (LASU): As you will suggest from the name of the institution, LASU is the indigenous university of Lagos state, Nigeria. Following its establishment in 1983 Lagos State University (LASU) created the department of nursing to entertain more application for admission every year.
The university is not only one of the best to study nursing/nursing science, it is also among the best universities to study medicine in Nigeria too.
Despite the fact that LASU is a state university, LASU is also very competitive now. In other words, only students that meet the university’s admission requirements are offered admission.
Students aspiring to study nursing in Lagos State University must, amongst other requirements, have the following subject combination before they will be considered for admission:
- English Language
Trust me; LASU is one of the best places to study nursing in Nigeria currently. Before applying for admission, it is important that you know other requirements of the institution here.
11. Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK): UNIZIK is one of the prestigious universities in Nigeria because it was named after a well known nationalist in the history of Nigeria (Late Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe). The university was established in 1991 at Awka, Anambra state, Nigeria.
Like other universities, UNIZIK Department of Nursing is under the university’s faculty of Health Sciences. One of the goals of the department is to train undergraduates for five-year on the basic nursing philosophies, basic health needs, nursing processes and disease prevention. Afterwards, successful undergraduate of the department will be certified and given a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing Science (BNSc).
Among all the state universities in Nigeria, UNIZIK seems to be the most equipped for nursing/nursing science. This is why the university is on this list. I enjoin you to also check the university’s admission requirements before you go ahead to apply.
Recommended: Richest Actors in Ghana 2022: Top 9
12. University of Abuja (School of Nursing): Most recently, this university provides a high standard subjects in the profession of nursing and today, its School of Nursing is one of the best in the whole country (Nigeria). It provides 2 different basic programs every session which are: 3 year basic Nursing program (for O’ level cerficate candidates) and 18 months post basic program (for those who qualify as midwives). Those who apply with the O’level certificates would also sit for JAMB with the aspiration to study Nursing in this university while those who apply for the post basic midwifery program would wait for their approval by the management.
Once the Nursing prospective students meet the procedures and requirements for the course, they will be admitted in the School of Nursing in affordable fees and the basic general training is open to both male and female students who must have attained the ages of 18 and above.
In terms of qualification, aspirants of basic Nursing in the University of Abuja School of Nursing must have acquired the O’ level certificate and must have been registered in the Midwifery council with evidence (for post basic Nursing). This School of Nursing has a comfortable and conducive environment and accommodations for its students which can also help them in their studies. Today, graduants of this university School of Nursing are well trained in the profession in order to meet the basic health demands of people.
Recommended: Countries with the Most Beautiful Women in the World
13. University of Calabar (School of Nursing): The UNICAL School of Nursing has many well-equipped facilities (both for lecturing, tutoring, and computer practicals), science laboratories with libraries and stores. The school also has hostel accommodation with its reading space, cafeteria, kitchenette, common space, laundry, and sick bay and can contain most of the admitted students.
Since 1979 till today, UNICAL School of Nursing has been training nurses among the best in Nigeria and in 2009, it was nationally recognized for that. UNICAL Nursing School admits both male and female who qualify to take the entrance examination organized by the University Teaching Hospital and also qualify after the exam. Today, this School has maintained the standard of its objectives towards the students which include:
1. Raising nurses who can put their affective, psychomotor, and cognitive, domains in order to deliver effectively in the profession at any time and any place.
2. Teaching Nursing studens the professional skills required for the work based on the general human view.
3. Producing sympathetic, dynamic and versatile nurses who can tackle the challenges in the profession.
Recommended: How Long It Takes To Become A Software Engineers
14. Bowen University Iwo (BUI): This private University was established in 2000. It is one of the private universities that are committed to providing high quality education for all students (including the nursing students) in Nigeria.
This University is a Christian institution that fully observes the long tradition of the Baptist Church, with its core values such as: God, academic excellence, honesty, leadership, professionalism, character, and love for humanity. So, this University adheres to the Baptist’s traditions and is designed as a unique research centre and learning. However, Bowen University provides a B.Sc Degree in “Nursing” for undergraduates. Nursing is a fundamental study of needs for basic health, and continual promotion of health.
It prepares the students with different skills in relation to the areas of physical well-being, prevention of disease, wound care, surgical asepsis, nutrition and fluids, safety, personal hygiene, elimination, oxygenation, mobility, rest, therapies and administration of medication. Also, this course in Bowen University covers the application of nursing processes and clinical judgment to promote health in a childbearing family during the process of pregnancy, labour, delivery, reproduction and the periods of postpartum.
So, graduates of Nursing address the safety of patients, provide efficient care for them, and make vital clinical decisions in any medical environment. If you study “Nursing” in this University, you will have the understanding and skills on how to relate with patients. Also, you can contribute significantly to the delivery of health care. Again, the programme will enable you to be competent in the intervention of therapeutics (in cases of complicated health problems), as well as promotion of health.
This means the once you are able to complete your nursing programme in BUI, you will be competent in the technical and theoretical aspects of nursing practice directed towards curative, preventive, and restorative care. However, as a private University, Nursing programme in the University is more expensive than the federal and State Universities in Nigeria. But the University is so good and you should consider it if you want to study the course. This is because it worth the expense.
Recommended: Best Law Firms In Nigeria 2024
15. Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital: This University is located at the Northern part of Nigeria as one of the best in that region. It has the College of Health Sciences with both medicine and nursing students (school of nursing). This school of nursing trains its students in both the theoretical and practical aspects of the course.
However, if you are interested, some of the requirements for studying nursing in this University are: WAEC Result (or its equivalent), JAMB Result (high score), and post utme (or screening) and all must be above the cut-off mark of the University.
If you want to study the course as a direct entry student, you are required to purchase the form for Direct Entry of this school through the school portal of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB). You must have a minimum of Merit Pass in the National Diploma (ND), Certificate of Education (NCE) and other certificates of Advanced Level.
However, apart from these requirements, you must also satisfy the requirements of the Faculty/Department of health science (where the course belong). If you study nursing in this University, you become one of the best among your equals.
16. The Evangelical Church Winning All (ECWA) School Of Nursing Sciences: This School of Nursing was formerly known as “Nurses Training School” and was established in 1955 and located at Egbe, Kogi State.
Since its inception, it has trained many Christian nurses who have become the best in different nursing fields today.
Today, this school still has full accreditation in nursing and takes the profession to a higher level in the health sector of Nigeria and distinguishing it from others all over the country. Some of their requirements for this course include: WAEC result (with the necessary subjects), JAMB Result, screening among others. So, if you want to study nursing, you can try out in this school.
By way of conclusion, i must remind you that this list is the most comprehensive any researched list of the best universities to study nursing in Nigeria.
Having gone through this comprehensive list, it is advisable that choose you choices of institution wisely. In my opinion, it is better to choose any of the above institution if you can afford the school fee. Do not rush into making a choice that you will regret later. Hope this article was helpful? I did like to hear from you if you have nay contribution to make on this topic.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka, ACMC, is a lawyer and a certified mediator/conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a developer with knowledge in various programming languages. Samuel is determined to leverage his skills in technology, SEO, and legal practice to revolutionize the legal profession worldwide by creating web and mobile applications that simplify legal research. Sam is also passionate about educating and providing valuable information to people.