Most expensive universities in Nigeria: A university is a high level educational institution in which students study for degree, and academic research. It is the next step after high school and the determinant factor for most professions. Take for example, you would need to have a law degree (that is, study law in a university and law school for a certain period of time, and obtain a degree) before you can practice as a lawyer. Same goes for medicine, nursing etc.
The word “university” is derived from the Latin word “magistrorum et scholarium”, meaning “a community of teachers and scholars”. It is imperative to state that this definition is exhaustive. The university is really a community of teachers and scholars well versed in their respective fields, who come together to impart these same knowledge in their students. It is a place where you live and study.
Also see: Best Art courses to study in the university
In Nigeria, university education is necessary, and unlike in the western countries, almost everyone aspires to have a university degree. There are two types of Universities in Nigeria. They are private university and government owned universities. The government owned universities are known as Public universities. The government is in charge of paying the lecturers and other staffs contributing to the day to day running of the school, so in relation to private universities, the students pay way less than is paid in private universities.
Also, due to the constant devaluation of the naira (resulting in it almost worth nothing, in relation to the currencies of other countries all over the world), public university education in Nigeria could be said to be the cheapest in the world.
With this information, it is expected for this list (list of the most expensive universities in Nigeria) to be dominated by private universities.
RECOMMENDED: Cheapest private universities in Nigeria
Top 14 Most Expensive Private and Government Universities in Nigeria 2023
The following are the top fourteen most expensive universities in Nigeria:
1. American University of Nigeria: this University is located in Yola, Adamawa state and it is the most expensive universities in Nigeria. Founded by Atiku Abubakar, in 2004, it is modeled after American style. Students are required to pay tuition fee ranging between 2.7 million to 1.9 million naira per session, depending on the course.
The truth about studying in American University of Nigeria (AUN) is that you can never regret it. During your years of study in the school, you will be trained to fit in a field of the society, such that, you will be useful to the society once you graduate. Another wonderful thing is that; students are exposed to everything they need to perform excellently well in their careers while in school.
Also see: Best science courses to study in the university
2. Baze University: No doubt, base university is one of the best private schools in Nigeria currently. The institution is located at Abuja and their tuition fee ranges from 2.5 million – 2.2 million naira per session. It is also note- worthy that a major determinant of the price of the tuition fee, is the course of study. For professional courses like law, medicine, pharmacy etc, students pay higher than those offering non-professional courses.
The courses offered in Baze University includes, Accounting, Banking and finance, Biology, chemistry, Computer science, International relations, Law, Marketing, Physics, Sociology, anthropology and more.
3. Nile University: This University is one of the most expensive schools in Nigeria, and is located in Abuja. Their tuition fee ranges between 2.4 million to 1.7 million naira per session, depending on the course of study.
Nile University is known for having some of the best lecturers in Nigeria. Sometimes lecturers from foreign countries usually come to the school to teach as visitors. This is undoubtedly why the school is one of the best private universities and also among the most expensive in the country too.
4. Afe Babalola University: This university was owned and named after Afe Babalola, a great Scholar in his time. Currently, the university is located at Ado Ekiti, in Ekiti state, western Nigeria. Their tuition fee ranges from 2.1 million to five hundred thousand, depending on whether the course is a professional or competitive course.
The courses offered in the institution includes; Accounting, Anatomy, Banking and Finance, Biochemistry, Chemical engineering, Civil engineering, Economics, English, Human Biology, Law, Mathematics, Medicine and Surgery, Nursing etc.
5. Covenant University (CU): Covenant university is one of the best and most populated private universities in Nigeria. The school is located in ota, ogun state and is owned by Winners chapel. Their tuition fee ranges from eight hundred and fifty seven thousand naira to one million and even more.
Notwithstanding the amount, Covenant University is one of the best private universities in Nigeria. In 2019, the university was the first Nigerian university to be ranked in the top 401-500 category of world universities by Times Higher Education. This shows that the institution actually worth attending.
6. Skyline University: this university is located in Kano state, and was founded in 2018. Students are required to pay two million naira or more, per session, as tuition fee.
Courses offered in Skyline include, Accounting, Biochemistry, Biology, Business Administration, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Mass communication.
Also see: Best universities to study law in Nigeria
7. Benson Idahosa University: This is one the oldest universities in Nigeria, modeled to be a Christian university is also one of the most expensive universities in Nigeria. It is also the first African university to obtain membership in the United states National Academy of Inventors.
Students are charged from 1.5 million naira and above, per session depending on the course and level of study.
The courses offered in this university are; Accounting, Accountancy, Agriculture. Banking and Finance, Biochemistry, Business Administration, Business Education, Christian Religious Knowledge, Computer Science, Conflict and Peace Resolution, Economics, Education and more.
Also see: Advantages and Disadvantages of Judicial Precedence
8. Igbinedion University: This university is located in Okada Benin, Edo state. It was named after the Edo philanthropist, Gabriel Osawaru Igbinedion. The school is amongst the notable and most expensive universities in Nigeria currently. It is populated by over 30,000 undergraduate students in the country.
The rate of tuition fee ranges from 2 million to 6 hundred thousand naira, per session, and this hinges on whether the course is a professional course or not. Take for example, medical students pay as high as two million and even more sometimes.
9. Babcock University: Babcock University is owned by the Seventh Day Adventist church in 1999, and is located in Ogun state. Their school fee is from seven hundred and eighty thousand naira and above.
One thing you should also know is that Babcock university is popularly known for producing smart and wonderful students. In the school, students are exposed to the facilities and resources they need to do well in their fields of study. Students of Babcock University are also known for participating in numerous educational competitions that usually increase the image of the school positively.
Also see: How to become a successful lawyer in Nigeria
10. Lead city: Lead city university is undoubtedly among the leading private universities in Nigeria. The institution was established in 2005 at Ibadan, oyo state. When it comes to providing quality education, Lead city is among the best. Over the years, the university has produce numerous influential people in the society. Even though the university is still very young, it has succeeded in producing over 5,000 graduates. This shows how much the institution is loved amongst students.
Nonetheless, Lead city school fees ranges from N100,000 – N310,000 only. The fees differ based on the year of student and course.
Also see: University that accept second choice admission in Nigeria
11. Bowen University: The Bowen University, one of Nigeria’s best and most prestigious educational institutions, is owned and run by the Nigerian Baptist Convention.The university, which has a 6 km2 campus and 5,000 students currently enrolled, also offers a teacher preparation program.In light of the fact that it only had 500 pupils when it first began in 2002, that is a pretty amazing amount. The university will soon be able to accommodate more than 20,000 students and contains five faculties in addition to a medical college.
In Nigeria, Bowen University has a good number of qualified lecturers who teach and train their students to bring out the best in both undergraduate and graduate students. This is one advantage of the institution.Depending on the course you’re taking, the college charges anywhere from N570,000 to N1,850,000 in tuition.
12. Redeemer’s University: The Redeemer’s University was founded in 2005 and is a private institution of higher learning owned by the Redeemed Christian Church of God. The college, which offers B.A. and B.Sc. degrees and has over 3,000 students enrolled, is expanding steadily. Since 2013, it has begun accepting students for its M.A., M.Sc., and Ph.D. programs.
The university currently houses three colleges, and there are plans to eventually add an engineering college. The natural sciences, management sciences, and humanities are this university’s strongest academic focus areas. It is one of the top private universities in Nigeria. The Christian university charges between N500,000 and N650,000 in tuition.
Recommended: How To Find And Choose Good Research Project Topics
13. Crawford University: The founder of the Apostolic Faith Mission, Paul A. Kazuo, established Crawford University in 2005. This prestigious Christian institution is owned and run by the charity non-profit The Apostolic Faith Mission. The town of Igbesa in the state of Ogun is where this university is situated.
The university’s goal is to provide “world-class tertiary education” as soon as possible. Excellent, state-of-the-art facilities at the college encourage learning and support extracurricular activities among students. It has a scholarship program for deserving but struggling students and a strong research division. Crawford’s tuition ranges from N400,000 to N600,000.
Recommended: Countries Where Teachers Are Paid the Most
14. Caleb University: The Caleb University was founded in 1986 and is now located in Imota, Lagos. Prince Oladega Adebogun first founded the institution as a nursery and elementary school, but over time it branched out into higher education and began operating as a university in 2008. The ideals and morals that represent the institution are the foundation of its remarkable success story.
The institution has been successful in winning both the hearts and minds of parents and students by placing a priority on excellent instruction. The annual tuition at Caleb University is roughly N550,000.
Recommended: Most Beautiful Universities in the World 2023
In conclusion, it is imperative to note that the fees mentioned here are not static. Usually, the fees differ based on whether the course is a professional course, whether the course is competitive and the level of study of the student. The school fee mentioned above are just estimates of the amount paid by students. Hope this article helped you to find out the most expensive universities in Nigeria currently. Don’t forget to drop a comment below if this was helpful.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ACMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.