Cheapest private universities in Nigeria: It is truism that private universities are the most expensive universities in Nigeria. In fact, the cheapest private university in Nigeria currently is almost the same amount for full undergraduate school fee for most federal and state universities in the country. I don’t really blame private schools for collecting such amount of money because the cost of running a university is apparently not cheap. This is why only the rich attend private universities.
Surprisingly, i discovered recently that there are some private universities in Nigeria that do not collect so much as school fee. In this article i will be taking a look at the cheapest private universities in Nigeria and their school fee. If you have been wishing to attend a private university but don’t have the money required, this article might help you find a very affordable private university this 2021.
Check out the best private universities in Nigeria currently in the video below:
Table of Content
Cheap Private Universities to Attend in Nigeria and their School Fees 2022
1. Alhikmah University – N103,000 – N600,000
Alhikmah University is one of the cheapest private universities that has been accredited by the Nigerian University Commission (NUC). The university came into force in 2005 after the granting of its Operating License (License No. 010) on the 7th of January 2005.
The university currently has two campuses in Ilorin and Igbaja, Kwara State. Though these campuses are still new, it is believed that in few years from now, they are going to be among the best in Nigeria.
Note that Alhikmah universities does not offer all the courses in Nigeria currently. The university has the following faculties:
Faculty of Natural & Applied Sciences
Faculty of Management Sciences
Faculty of Education
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Health Sciences etc.
2. Oduduwa University – N170,000 – N197,000
Another cheap private university i would like you to check out is the prestigious Oduduwa university. It is located at Ipetumodu, Osun State, Nigeria. Oduduwa has been in existence since 2009 when the university was approved to start its activities.
Even though Oduduwa is still a cheap university currently, Wikipedia shows that the university has about 20,000 population. From this, it is clear that Oduduwa university will soon become one of the top institutions in Nigeria.
Below are the colleges in Oduduwa university currently:
College of Management and Social Sciences (CMSS)
Banking & Finance
College of Natural and Applied Sciences (CNAS)
Mass Communication & Media Technology
College of Environmental Design and Management (CEDM)
College of Engineering and Technology (CET)
Recommended: Best art courses to study in the university – Top 10
3. Ajayi Crowther University N162,000 – N782,000
Ajayi Crowther University is another cheap private university in Nigeria that is open for everyone. It was established the same year with Alhikmah University in 2005. Ajayi Crowther University is currently located in Oyo State, Nigeria. The university has working academic staffs in the following fields:
Faculty of Natural Science
Faculty of Social Science
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Management Science
Faculty of Humanities
Faculty of Engineering
Faculty of Education etc.
Note that Ajayi Crowther University is a well disciplined and organized institution. I personally recommend this university for everyone who can afford their fees.
Also see: Highest paying law firms in Nigeria
4. Obong University – N180,00 – N200,000
Obong university is another super cheap private university in Nigeria. It is amongst the oldest private universities that is still cheap even till today. The university first started as the African College of Management in 1997. Today, it is among the well known private universities in Nigeria.
Obong university has a clean library for students, hostel for everyone and sport facilities for students who are interested in sporting activities. However, it should be noted that as at today, Obong university does not accept every course. Currently, the university offers the following courses:
Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution
5. Lead university – N200,500 – N550,00
If you talk about private universities that are really popular in Nigeria, then you should be talking about Lead university. The institution is respected all over Nigeria and other parts of the world. It was built in 2002 but it stated its activities in 2005 when the Nigerian University Commission (NUC) gave their approval.
Note that not all the courses are really accredited in this university. Take for instance, if you want to study law, Lead university may not be a good choice. Nonetheless, the founder of the university, Tunji Olaopa is truly making efforts to see that all the courses in the school are accredited.
6. Crescent University – N283,000 – N1,000,000
This is another cheap private university that was created in december 2005. The university is located at Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria and had about 24,000 students who are currently studying there.
It should however be noted that Crescent University is not really a university for everyone. It was built by the Islamic Mission for Africa. Thus, it is doubtful whether the university accepts applications for students of different religions.
Below are the courses in the institution:
College of Law
College of Arts
Social and Management Sciences
Information and Communication Technology,
Natural and Applied Sciences
7. Rhema University – N152,000 – N464,000
This is one of the youngest universities in Nigeria. It was built in 2019 with the aim of equipping humanity for excellence. Rhema University was built by Living Word Ministries International as a way of contributing to the growth of education in Nigeria and other parts of the world.
When it was accredited in 2019, most of the courses in the institution was also accredited. This is why i recommend Rhema university for everyone. Based on my research, the university accepts students for almost all the courses in Nigeria. Nonetheless, you can go ahead an do more research to see if you dream course is approved in the school.
8. Adeleke University – N273,000 – N450,000
If you have heard of Chief Adeleke before then you should know this university. Adeleke University is owned by one of the richest men in Nigeria, Chief Adeleke (who is also the father of Davido. It was built with promoting Education, Excellence And good Character amongst youth.
It is worthwhile to know that Adeleke University was built through Springtime Development Foundation (SDF) which is managed by Chief Adeleke.
Below are the Faculties in Adeleke University:
Faculty of Arts
Faculty of Engineering
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
Faculty of Business and Social Sciences
Faculty of Science
9. Babcock University N288,000 – N560,000
Babcock is the only Nigerian university that was created before the Civil War. It started as the Adventist College of West Africa in 1995. Currently, courses offered in Babcock university includes the following
School of Social Sciences
School of Public & Applied Health.
School of Science & Technology.
School of Computing & Engineering Sciences.
School of Management Sciences.
College of Health & Medical Sciences.
School of Nursing.
School of Education and Humanities.
School of Law & Security Studies.
College of Post Graduate Studies.
Trust me, this is a great institution to study. People like Davido, Debo Ogundoyin, Beverly Osu etc also studied in the university.
10. Fountain University – N341,000
The last but not the least of the cheapest private university in Nigeria is Fountain University. It was created in 2007 at Osun, Osogbo, Nigeria. Fountain university is an Islamic university thus application for admission into this institution is not open to everyone. The university is indeed a good idea for Islamic students that wants to gain admission into a very cheap private college.
Fountain University has two colleges currently, College of Natural and Applied Sciences and the College of Management and Social Sciences.
Recommended: Advantages and Disadvantages of shopping online
11. Renaissance University – N200,000 to N700,000
Recently, I found out that Renaissance University is also one of the cheapest private university to attend in Nigeria. The university is located in the Eastern part of Nigeria (at Agbani, Enugu state precisely). When it comes to quality of education and school facilities, Renaissance University is not doing bad. I personally visited the school myself to see a friend and I was really surprised by the way everything was organized over there.
Surprising, their school fee is just about N200,000 to N700,000 per session (depending on the course you are studying). The friend I visited was actually studying law and she told me her fees is about N700,000. The truth is, that amount of money is actually big when compared with federal or state universities in Nigeria. Nonetheless, there is no doubt that it is actually the cheapest among private institutions in in the country too.
Consequently, if you have been searching for a good private university to attend in Nigeria, I think you should start considering Renaissance University. Trust me, you won’t regret it on the long run.
Recommended: African countries with the most beautiful women
Guide for choosing a private university to attend
You will agree with me that students of private universities are often not given the same respect as those in federal or state universities. But that is also not completely correct. There are some private universities that are known and respected in Nigeria. And despite the amount mentioned as school fees above, i think you should also put that in mind. So, here are something that should guide you while choosing a private school to attend in addition to school fees:
1. Prestige of the school: In this country, employers are more likely to employ graduates from schools that are prestigious and popularly known than those that are not. And that is why you must consider how popular the school is while checking your budget. Covenant university is one of the best private schools with good prestige both outside and inside Nigeria
2. Availability of courses: You must also be conscious of the fact that most private universities in Nigeria don’t offer as many courses as state and federal universities. So, it is usually advisable to be sure about the course before you apply for admission into any private university in Nigeria.
3. Accreditation: Aside from the schools i have mentioned and discussed above, you are probably going to find some other private institutions that are also cheap. But it is important to make enquiries as to whether the school is accredited by NUC (Nigerian University Commission) before you apply. The reason is because, if the institution has not be recognised by NUC, then students of the school are also not recognised.
Why Private Universities are Better in Nigeria
1. No strike: The fact that private university do not usually go for unnecessary strikes like public universities in Nigeria is actually a big advantage. It is in fact, the major reason why many students prefer going to private schools. Private schools are very meticulous about this because they can be sued if students spend more years than the expected number of years they are supposed to spend in school.
2. No UTME Requirements: Most accredited private instititions in Nigeria currently don’t even need JAMB to admit students. This is another reason why private instititions are good. In my article on how to gain admission into tertiary institutions without JAMB, I stated it clearly that it is possible to gain admission into a private university in Nigeria without UTME and many people have been doing it successfully.
3. Care for students: The last but not the least is the fact that students in private schools are better cared for than those in public schools. I mean, if you compare the school hostel of private and public schools in Nigeria, you will definitely attest to the fact that public schools are not taken care of by the government and this has made it an advantage to attend private schools rather than public schools.
Other cheap universities in Nigeria 2021
Having seen the cheapest private instititions in Nigeria, below is a list of some of the cheapest federal institutions that can be compared with private institutions in Nigeria:
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) – N40,000 – N71,000
- University of Lagos (UNILAG) – N14,000 – N64,000
- University of Ibadan (UI) – N20,000 – N35,000
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK) – N20,000 – N70,000
- Bayero University – N20,000 – N40,000
- National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) – N20,000 – N41,000
- Modibbo Adama University of Science and Technology – N15,000 – N42,000
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta – N33,000
- Amadu Bello University (Abu Zaria) – N20,000 – N33,000
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources Effurun (FUPRE) – N37,000 – N80,000
Note: In most Nigerian universities, the school fee of students are different considering the fact that they study different courses. So, the amount mentioned above are not the exact amount of school fee for every course. However, from our research, the school fee for every course is within the range given above.
Recommended: Best online university in the world (2021)
So far, i have mentioned and given detailed information about the top 10 cheapest universities in Nigeria. I strongly believe this article is an eye opener to those who think it is impossible to attend private universities because of their usual expensive nature. Hope you enjoyed this one.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ChMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.