Federal, State and Private Universities that Accept Second Choice in Nigeria: You will agree with me that most of the universities in Nigeria don’t accept second choice candidates for admission. This is a tradition that most popular and prestigious universities do nowadays.
In many opinion, they do this to make sure that only the best students are given admission each year. Another reason why many institutions in Nigeria don’t admit second choice candidates is because, they want to look more prestigious to the public. By not accepting second choice candidates, everyone will think that the university is very competitive and better than other institutions in Nigeria.
Consequent upon this, many institutions assumes that student that does not make them a first choice during JAMB registration is not ready for admission.
Well, the good news is that, there are many other institutions in Nigeria that actually accept second choice candidates for admission. But these institutions are not really popular in Nigeria. So, if you have been searching for a good school to make your first or second choice of institution during JAMB registration, below are the federal, state and private universities that accept second choice in Nigeria.
- Does AAU accept second choice candidates for admission? See answer
- Does UNN accept second choice candidates for admission? See answer
- Does ABSU accept second choice candidates for admission? See answer
- Does EBSU accept second choice candidates for admission? See answer
Federal Universities that Accepts Second Choice Candidates in 2020
If you want to make a federal university your second choice of institution, below is a list of some of the federal universities in Nigeria that accept second choice candidates for admission:
- Federal University Dutse, Jigawa State (FUD)
- Federal University Dutsin-ma, Kastina State (FUDMA)
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe State (FUGASHUA)
- Federal University Gusau, Zamfara State (FUGUS)
- Federal University Kashere, Gombe State (FUK)
- Federal University Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Federal University Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University Otuoke, Bayelsa State (FUOTUOKE)
- Federal University Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi State (FUBK)
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Oye Ekiti, Ekiti State (FUOYE)
- University of Maiduguri, Borno State (UNIMAID)
State Universities That Accepts Second Choice Candidates in 2020
State universities accept second choice candidates more than even federal universities in Nigeria. There are many state universities you can make your second choice of institution in JAMB. Below are some of them:
- Abia State University, Uturu, Abia State (ABSU)
- Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi, Bauchi State (ATBU)
- Adamawa State University, Mubi, Adamawa State (ADSU)
- Akwa Ibom State University, Ikot-Akpaden, Akwa Ibom State (AKSU)
- Anambra State University, Uli, Anambra State (ANSU)
- Cross Rivers University of Technology, Calabar, Cross River State (CRUTECH)
- Ignatius Ajuru University of Education
Private universities that accepts second choice candidates
Almost all the private institutions in Nigeria accept second choice candidates. The truth is that; most private institutions don’t really care about whether you make them a first, second or third choice of institution.
As long as you meet their university admission cutoff mark and you have the money to pay for the institution, you will definitely be offered admission. Below are some of the known private universities that accept second choice candidates when offering admission in Nigeria:
- American University of Nigeria, Yola, Adamawa
- Edwin Clark University, Kiagbodo, Delta State
- Gregory University, Uturu, Abia State
- Modibo Adama University of Technology, Yola, Adamawa
- Obong University, Obong, Ntak Akwa-Ibom State
- Paul University, Awka, Anambra State
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom State
- Tansian University, Oba, Anambra State
- University of Mkar, Gboko, Benue State
- Western Delta University, Ogbara, Delta State
It is important to note that; the fact that these institutions allows second choice candidates does not mean that they are going to consider second choice candidates the same way they consider their first choice candidates.
In most of the universities above, second choice candidates have slimmer chance of gaining admission than first choice candidates. So, you should carry this at the back of your mind.
- See the best universities to study Pharmacy in Nigeria 2020
- Best Universities To Study Medicine In Nigeria 2020
- Cheapest universities to study law in Nigeria
List of universities that doesn’t accept second choice candidates for admission
Now, if you are thinking of making any university in Nigeria your second choice of institution, it is advisable to take away the some universities out of your mind. The institutions I am going to share with you below are those that does no even consider second choice candidates at all.
- University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Kwara State (UNILORIN)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State (UNN)
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun State (FUNAAB)
- University of Jos, Jos, Plateau State (UNIJOS)
- Ambrose Ali University (AAU)
- University of Lagos, Yaba, Lagos State (UNILAG)
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State (ABU)
- University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Oyo State (UI)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Anambra State (UNIZIK)
- University of Calabar, Calabar, Cross River State (UNICAL)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Osun State (OAU)
- Federal University of Technology, Akure, Ondo State (FUTA)
From the above, you will notice that most of the universities that does not accept second choice candidates are mostly the top schools in Nigeria. Well, the list above is not even complete. There are many other universities in Nigeria that do not accept second choice candidates.
- Best science courses to study in the university
- Does DELSU accept second choice candidates for admission? See answer here
- Does ESUT accept second choice candidates for admission? See answer
Okay! this is where I am going to stop for now. Above is a list of some of the federal, state and private universities in Nigeria that accept second choice candidates for admission. For now, this is just the once I have been able to confirm. More research is still going to be conducted and this list will be updated with more universities very soon.
By way of conclusion, i must let you know that if you make the mistake of making a university that does not accept second choice candidates your second choice, you will definitely not be offered admission into that institution.
So, it will be wise to go through the list above very carefully before making any institution you second choice. Hope this was helpful?