Top 10 tech skills in-demand in 2021: Are you someone that is looking to maximize your marketability by pursuing technological skills that will definitely be in vogue in the future, or are you looking to change fields? Perhaps you have no prior knowledge in technology, but you want technological skills that will launch your career? Then this article is definitely for you. The truth is that technology continues to change rapidly, therefore the demand for professionals with advanced IT skills also rise.
Another truth also, is that technology by far dominates the categories of best jobs or most in demand jobs that will be relevant in the future. There is need as an individual who wants to be at the top in your career, to garner one or more of these skills. Skills that are in demand no doubt, can boost your career.
Definitely, knowing what employers look out for in this present time, will enable graduates out there gain these skills so as to stand out from the saturated pool of candidates. In this regard, below are few IT skills and technological skills that employers and candidates should be aware of.
Recommended: Top Canadian Business Schools to Enroll in 2021
Top 10 Tech skills in-demand Today
1. Artificial intelligence and Machine Learning: Artificial intelligence and machine learning is no doubt in vogue in 2021. They have revolutionized industries to the extent that hiring in these areas of tech is continually on the increase globally. According to Linkedin’s 2020 emerging jobs report UK, “artificial intelligence specialist” was the number one emerging job of 2020.
The skills in demand across machine learning and artificial intelligence are: Java, R, natural language processing, tensor flow and Python. These skills are in demand because of their popularity. As a tech guy or upcoming tech person, it is recommended that you equip yourself with one or more of these skills, in order to be relevant and climb to the top of your game in 2022 and beyond.
2. Augmented reality (VR) and virtual reality (VR): Augmented reality and virtual reality are collectively known as extended reality (XR). The European market size, predicts that by 2026, the size of the market for extended reality (XR) will increase by $7.59 billion to $104 billion.
The importance of augmented reality and virtual reality cannot be overemphasized. Even numerous industries like advertising, entertainment, education and health care, have adopted extended reality technologies as the new normal. This in turn, has led to massive increase in the demand for skilled technicians, who are highly professional in the use of this technology.
Currently, over three-quarter of software engineers, predict that the full impact of augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) will be evident in the next five years. They also predict that acquiring knowledge in Unity, will help IT professionals skilled in coding, to path their way in extended reality (XR).
Recommended: 10 Signs That Shows you are are Intelligent
3. Data science and analytics: These two jobs are consistently and constantly in demand yearly. It is predicted that revenue from this tech skills, will grow from $5.3 billion in 2018 to $19.40 in 2026. 53% of companies globally, employees data skills also known as Big data, to accelerate decision making and ensure greater accuracy. These big data are employed by various industries. Industries like the federal government, banking, manufacturing, professional services such as: accounting firms and financial advisors make use of this skill.
It is also important to note that due to the influence and advantages big data offers, they have earned a top spot on Linkedin’s emerging job reports, for three consecutive years the report was conducted.
4. Data engineering: Data engineering is distinct from data science, but that does not mean they are not related. Data engineering is what enables data science to exist. Also, data engineering enables the build of tools and infrastructure that data science relies upon to conduct its work. The growth of data engineering is conspicuous.
In fact, the growth of data engineering is historically said to have surpassed the growth of data science. Statistically, since 2015, the hiring rate of technologically inclined jobs has increased by nearly 35% throughout the various industries. The salary of data engineers is not meager. Data engineers receive not less than $92,000 annually.
5. Data visualization: What data visualization does, is simply to provide a visual context, so that people can better understand the significance of data. For example: turning spreadsheets into graphs or charts, thereby creating a pictorial representation, so that the charts and graphs can better be understood. Data visualization as a skill is mostly employed by data analyst and data scientist.
As a skill, data visualization is also very helpful in most digital marketing roles. It is also advisable to acquire this skills because, not only is it in demand, it can also be fun, because your job will be to collect data gathered by analysts, and convert it into a form anyone can understand.
6. Cyber security and Network Information Security: As a network operator or tech person, security of data is very important. Any company that collects customer data or information, especially those that are sensitive in nature, has to keep such data secure. If they do not keep such data safe, and they are exposed to public knowledge, it can cause havoc to the company’s image and market.
That is why it is important for these companies to engage persons specifically trained in network security. In truth and fact, there is shortage of people trained in this area of tech, and this is not encouraging. So, as a young graduate, take one or two courses in this subject and start earning good money.
Recommended: Advantages and Disadvantages of shopping online
7. Cloud computing: Cloud computing simply entails switching from classical server infrastructure to cloud solutions. In a research conducted by Forrester, the market for global public cloud services grew from 35% to 20 billion dollars in 2021.
This means that cloud native architecture skills are currently in vogue in 2021, and will stay so beyond 2021. Therefore, go ahead find a good tutor or school, pick up a form and begin learning about cloud computing as soon as possible.
8. UI and IX design: It may look like UI and UX are the same, but they are not – though they are in the same family. While UI (also known as user interface) specialists, design interface for websites and apps, creating appealing visuals that are beautiful and easy for users to navigate, UX (also known as user experience) specialists, do all that is necessary, including carrying out research and testing, in order to figure out every element of how the user communicates and interacts with the company and website.
User interface is for those who want to specialize on the layout, look, feel or visuals of a product, while user experience is for those that want to meet users needs through analysis and testing.
Also see: Highest paying Jobs in South Africa
9. Block chain: Block chain was originally invented for the digital currency-Bitcoin, however it has evolved. Block chain is no longer used for only Bitcoin, it is now used for crowdfunding, file storage, identity management, digital management, peer to peer payments etc.
Statistically, demand for block chain engineers increased by 40% from 2017 to 2018, and tech giants such as Amazon, IBM, Microsoft, Facebook are currently working with block chain.
10. Software developments: The demand for software developers is on the increase globally, this is especially so with the increasing use of apps, mobile and technology. The change of technology yearly, demands the change of skill and knowledge, therefore developers have to continually engage in knowledge acquisition to stay relevant in the tech market.
Recommended: Best science courses to study in the university
The entire world is in a constant state of change. Even with the pandemic, the world has noticed a huge shift in the professional world. The demand for ICT has increased because of the resort to the Internet and web platforms, rather than physical engagements, for example, firms resorts to video conferencing on Zoom, Google Classroom, Google meet etc., to conduct conferences, seminars, workshops etc.
This has no doubt also increased the competition in the job market. Certain traditional roles in various industries have phased out, so as to make way for newer roles anchored on ICT. It is therefore imperative, that one knows what the top IT and tech skills are, in order to secure the right role.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ChMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.