How To Become a Problem Solver: We all encounter difficult obstacles at work that can feel insurmountable. I’m referring about the kinds of issues that can cause you to stay up all night, drink a third (or fourth!), and leave you feeling worn out and frustrated. But there’s no reason to give up. There are tactics you may use to reposition and freshen your thoughts, even when it seems impossible to find the perfect answer. To the most challenging issues at work, you may devise unique solutions. Sometimes all it takes to come up with your next brilliant idea is a new viewpoint.
Use the tactics listed below to come up with fresh approaches to problems you’re facing at work that appear intractable. You could even come up with a practically amazing concept.
Here are a few explanations on why being a problem solver in the workplace is crucial:
a. Risks are identified: Finding solutions to problems might help you spot possible dangers in your workplace. A good problem solver can frequently foresee certain difficulties before they arise.
b. Enhances productivity: You may utilize your problem-solving abilities to pinpoint the problem and come up with a remedy if you see productivity problems at work.
c. Growth is produced: You can fix any problems and enhance your abilities by using problem-solving to assist you find areas where your work performance needs to be improved.
d. Makes sure everything goes smoothly: Being a problem solver may assist you in identifying problems that make processes at work less efficient, after which you can try to discover a solution.
Recommended: How to become the best version of yourself
Tips On How To Become A Problem Solver
1. Develop Empathy with Your Audience: Empathy is a key component of the clarify stage of design thinking. By observing people and asking questions, you may gain an understanding of your target audience and use that knowledge to discover innovative and pertinent solutions for their problems.
Practice empathy by being aware of other people’s needs and refraining from making personal comparisons. Your solutions will be more successful the more you comprehend your audience.
2. Identify the main issue: When a problem arises, there are sometimes a number of compounding elements that make it challenging to find a solution. Problems appear to multiply swiftly, and it is practically difficult to attempt to address them all at once.
Spend some time figuring out the source of the issue before attempting to solve it. Finding the root of the problem will save you from wasting time by solving it quickly and effectively. This is true whether the problem is due to a flawed procedure, inadequate training, or a breakdown in communication. Simply choose the most significant issue and go forward from there if you are unable to pinpoint the source of the issue.
3. Dissect the procedure: If the problem at hand is a flawed or ineffective process, take the time to outline each phase so you can see everything that could need to be fixed or improved. Every stage is important to notice.
Understanding every step in detail can help you spot places where you can make quick improvements. You can better envision all the phases if you take the time to plan out the process from beginning to end using a list, flow chart, whiteboard, or even just pen and paper. This will make it simpler to pinpoint any potential problems.
Recommended: A day in the life of a Lawyer
4. Get a second set of opinions: Working with people is one approach to improve your ability to solve problems. It could be time to have a new set of eyes to assist you process the issue if you’re feeling stuck. You may become so mired in the issue over time that you start to close your eyes. Think of it as the crime-show equivalent of when they claim the detective has tunnel vision on one suspect. You could become so fascinated with one particular problem, concept, or solution or start to limit your brainstorming as a result of being too focused on the immediate issue.
To start ideas flowing again, you might need to enlist a coworker who is not currently working on the solution. They can serve as an objective sounding board who can assist you in coming up with fresh ideas and taking various approaches to the problem.
5. Find Several Solutions: Thinking creatively and beyond the box are necessary for effective problem-solving. Don’t accept the first answer you come across. Launch the boat. Search for as many different options as you can. and then locate more.
This might entail speaking with a diverse group of coworkers, maintaining an open mind, or being receptive to the exchange of ideas or opinions. It could also entail seeking for answers in uncommon locations or from unusual sources. When you have a list of potential solutions, do whatever it takes to analyze each one.
Recommended: Most Protected People in Nigeria
6. Find the most effective solution
a. It’s simpler stated than done. No, not always. Approach it logically. Respond to these inquiries:
b. Does it work technically?
c. Does it scale?
d. Do you possess the means?
e. What dangers exist? Can you handle them?
f. Has your solution the broadest possible impact?
g. Is it measurable? How are you going to measure it?
7. Organize and carry out your solution: Give this section a lot of thought as well. Create a very detailed strategy to carry out your idea. You must address who, what, when, and how you intend to carry out your strategy.
The next phase, which is equally crucial, will need you to consider how you will know whether your solution was successful.
8. Put design thinking to use: You may develop your creative problem-solving skills by engaging in design thinking. Despite being frequently connected to the office, embracing a design-thinking mindset might help you live a better, more fulfilling life. Here are a few methods to put design thinking into practice:
a. Learn from others: The application of design thinking in business is widespread. Review case studies to get insight from others’ achievements, investigate issues that businesses haven’t addressed, and use the design thinking approach to develop alternate solutions.
b. Use a design-thinking mindset to solve common problems: Applying design thinking to your regular activities is one of the finest methods to learn how to do it. Discover what answers design thinking produces by approaching common challenges using its four-stage methodology.
c. Investigate design thinking: Although studying on your own is a terrific way to begin understanding design thinking, enrolling in an online course may provide you additional knowledge and experience. The correct training may help you learn crucial skills, improve your marketability, and open doors for beneficial networking.
Recommended: Best Online Universities in the World 2023
9. Do not fear failure: The fear of failure might prevent us from coming up with better solutions to problems. When you’re terrified of failing, you could start to limit your thinking and ideas. There is always risk involved in experimenting with new ideas, but rather than just discarding a dangerous concept, it is worthwhile to look into it. You should be able to reduce some (perhaps even all) of the risk if you take the time to carefully evaluate your ideas.
It might be really frightening to try anything new. The finest inventions, however, frequently result from overcoming this fear of failure and attempting novel, audacious concepts.
10. Enjoy a break: Possess you a trouble block? There’s a condition known as writer’s block. Similar to that, however instead of words, it’s concepts that aren’t flowing. Sometimes it’s just impossible to conceive of new ideas or answers because you become stuck.
It’s alright! This is a natural occurrence, in fact. According to study, your brain can only focus on a job or project at its best for 52 minutes before becoming tired and experiencing brain block.
The remedy? pause more often!
Make sure your brain can digest information fast and readily so that it may be applied to problems in order to improve your problem-solving skills. Your brain’s productivity declines when you’re too worn out, stressed, or burned out.
By taking pauses throughout the day, you can avoid these problems.
Finding a method to include breaks into your day, whether you use a timer on your phone or an app on your computer, will help you feel more rested and productive as you take on significant responsibilities.
Recommended: Best Side Jobs For Teachers in 2023
Advice for improving your problem-solving abilities
Here are some pointers you may utilize to improve your problem-solving abilities:
a. Seek guidance: It’s a good idea to seek sound counsel from a reliable mentor, coworker, or friend while facing a challenge. Tell the whole narrative and include all pertinent details to ensure that the advise you receive is objective and useful.
b. Carry out extensive study: It’s crucial to conduct in-depth study to make sure you comprehend the repercussions that might result. Be sure to speak with all persons involved in a situation before making any significant judgments about it. You should also dig up relevant facts.
c. Be open-minded: It’s better to retain an objective view and take into account all potential solutions while attempting to tackle a difficult problem. This enables you to find additional solutions by enabling you to perceive an issue from all possible angles.
Also see: Highest Paying Jobs In Canada 2022
You may solve difficulties in innovative ways by using the advice above in practice. You may improve your problem-solving skills and be more effective at coming up with original solutions to the toughest work-related problems. Who knows, your subsequent thought may be literally brilliant and spark something incredible!
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka, ACMC, is a lawyer and a certified mediator/conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a developer with knowledge in various programming languages. Samuel is determined to leverage his skills in technology, SEO, and legal practice to revolutionize the legal profession worldwide by creating web and mobile applications that simplify legal research. Sam is also passionate about educating and providing valuable information to people.