Oldest Restaurants In The World: Restaurants are known places that are usually open to the public and help satisfy the appetite of her customers with great great wines and delicious dishes. We want to delve straight into discovering some of the amazing restaurants that has lived a decade and more.
Recommended: How To Dress for An Interview
Top 10 Oldest Restaurants In The World 2023
1. Stiftskeller St. Peter, Salzburg, Austria: Founded – 803. St. Peter Stiftskulinarium (German pronunciation: The restaurant situated within the walls of St Peter’s Abbey in Salzburg, Austria is one of the oldest restaurants in the world with a specialty in many amazing recipes.
Having been established before AD 803, it is recognised as the oldest restaurant in the world and one of the oldest in central Europe. The restaurant has been a topic for many English writers and analysts. Among the notable and prominent elites served by the restaurant, Christopher Columbus, Johann Georg Faust, and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart are believed to be part of them.
2. Bianyifang, Beijing, China: Founded – 1416. The Bianyifang restaurant located in Beijing, China is a well known restaurant that is famous for its specialty. The are good and renowned for a special delicacy known as peking duck.
One of the few prestigious and ancient restaurants in the world; Bianyifang was founded over a hundred years ago. With much reputation, the restaurant is one of the few restaurants with many branches and very popular in China. It has gained the attention of many including the media.
Originally established in 1414, being a small outlet, it was nurtured into a full blown restaurant few years later. It has the Peking Duck, the Spanish and French-style Duck as its most revered dish. It is one of the oldest restaurants in the world.
Must Read: Advantages and Disadvantages Indirect rule
3. Zum Franziskaner, Stockholm, Sweden: Founded – 1421. Zum Franziskaner is known to be one of the oldest restaurants in Stockholm and the world. It is one of the best place to visit when you are in need or crave the taste of a distinct Swedish traditional dish. It is also reported to have some form of distinct Swedish and German theme.
One of it’s main attraction is their classic beer hall with the old Art Nouveau interior. It is one of the oldest and reputable restaurants in the world with penchant for rare wine to serve it’s clients.
Founded by Mrs. Augusta Engelbrecht on December 23rd 1889. It’s new building is known to have been designed by a fine architect; Fredrik Dalberg and then built by Carl Smith.
4. Honke Owariya, Kyoto, Japan: Founded – 1465. This ancient inn remains the oldest restaurant in Kyoto, Japan with special recipes like the buckwheat noodles. It is also known and referred to as soba.
Founded 1465, it is known to have hosted dignitaries including the royal family, whenever they visit the town. It had started off as a confectionery shop before growing into a well known soba shop. With the ownership passed down to generations, Ariko Inaoka is the current and 16th owner of the restaurant. It is one of the oldest restaurants in the world.
5. La Tour d’Argent, Paris, France: Founded – 1582. La Tour d’Argent located in Paris, France is one of the very few historic restaurants in the world. It is a historic restaurant located at the 5th arrondissement of Paris right in France with a one Michelin star.
The claim of being actually established in 1582 seem to be shaky as a result of not having a concrete proof to that effect. It was known to be owned in 1890 and 1900s by the first man to issue a certificate to every customer that patronized their signature dish which was pressed duck.
His name was Frédéric Delair. In 1912, the Terrail family had bought the restaurant and operated by André Terrail and later by his son Claude. When he died in 2006 at the age of 88, his own son took over. It is indeed one of the oldest restaurants in the world.
See Also: Main Differences Between Demand And Want
6. White Horse Tavern, USA: Founded- 1673. The White Horse Tavern located in Newport, Rhode Island, USA is considered as the oldest restaurant still in active operation in the United States.
Recognized as one of the oldest restaurants in the world, the White Horse Tavern, in 1652 was originally known to have been built as a 2 storey residential area or building with four rooms. Having continually served guests well since 1673, the restaurant is revered as a National Historic Landmark.
Acquired by William Mayes, Sr who converted the residential building to a tavern in 1673. The tavern remained and serves the public for decades. It is also recorded to have changed ownerships over the years but continued to serve the public it capacity without shifting standards. It is one of the oldest restaurants in the world.
The name, White Horse Tavern was given to the restaurant in 1730 when Jonathan Nichols became tavern keeper. Subsequently in 1732, it was recognized as a National Historic Landmark and of course, placed on the National Register of Historic Places making it even more prominent across the globe.
7. A la Petite Chaise, Paris, France: Founded – 1680. Well known to have taken its name from an old French word “cheze” of latin origin, the restaurant casa (meaning isolated house) remains one of the oldest restaurants in the world.
The structure having been known to be constructed around 1610, it has also been known to undergo some constructive maintenance in the 1650s and that has been the face and look it still wears.
The restaurant, according to records, is the oldest in Paris. It has a great reputation for excellent dishes and customer service. Most of its meats or games was known to have been gotten from the surrounding forests and so, they are always fresh and appetizing.
The structural design was magnificent and contained rare objects at the time like mirrors which attracted noble ladies who were brought to see themselves.
There are also tons of historic and memorable events that were held in the place that saw the rich and mighty in attendance. It still remains one of the oldest restaurants in the world.
Must Read: Differences Between Passing Off and Trademark
8. Sobrino de Botín, Madrid, Spain: Founded – 1725. The restaurant, also known as Casa Botín was founded in 1725. It was later awarded the oldest restaurant in the world by the Guinness Book of Records. It also earned the position as a benchmark of best traditional cuisines in Madrid for its exceptional recipe and service.
According to Forbes magazine, the restaurant was considered one of the world’s top 10 classic restaurants. Same goes for its two known specialties, their delicious suckling pig and lamb, usually roasted in the Castilian style.
With tons of supplies weekly, the demand for this cuisine was amazingnas a result of the delicate procedure employed in carrying out the preparation. The restaurant is indeed one of the oldest restaurants in the world.
9. Union Oyster House: Founded – 1826. The prestigious Union Oyster House is known to have opened to diners since late 1826. Located in the United States, the restaurant remains one of the oldest restaurants still in active operation in the United States.
Apart from being the oldest known restaurant that has continued operation since the time it was opened, the building was listed in 2003 as a National Historic Landmark. When the restaurant opened in August 1826, it originally opened as the Atwood & Bacon Oyster House with quite a number of prestigious personnels as regular visitors.
Some of the well known dinners at the restaurant includes the Kennedy family and the notorious Daniel Webster who was known to have great appetite for oyster.
Apart from the already mentioned regulars, the likes of Louis Philippe, king of France and John Royston Coleman had also had an experience at the Union Oyster House with John Royston Coleman recounting his amazing times and experiences at the restaurant right in his book; The Blue Collar Journal. The Oyster House is one of the oldest known and reputable restaurants that was established with amazing recipes.
10. The Sheep Heid Inn: Founded – 1360. This ancient but lively in with amazing restaurant services is a public house located in Duddingston, Edinburgh, Scotland.
The structure is known to date back to the 18th century (according to records) but believe to have been there way further than that. Although there has been an inn in that particular site for a very long time, known to be very reputable and meets customers needs. It is one of the best places to visit not withstanding its appearence.
Recommended: Habits Of Intelligent People You Should Learn
Considered one of the oldest structures in Edinburgh. Some of the notable regulars at the Sheep Heid Inn includes the City Sheriffs, the Royal Company of Archers, as well as the local regiments based at the nearby Piershill Barracks and Duddingston training camps.
Conclusively, although some of this fine restaurants has closed down, there are still a bunch of them still in full operation and would be delighted to give you a warm treat to their exceptional cuisine.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ACMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.