How to Become a Better Singer quickly: Singing is one skill that can draw lots of attention to a person and it does not really matter what song or piece they are singing. What matters most is how their singing comes of. Sure, song choice is important if you want an audience to really pay attention, but the key factor here is the `voice‘.
A singer can hold your attention even though they are not singing in your language. There is a wide range of voice textures that good singers possess. However, they all have one thing in common; singing ability. Being a good singer takes work and consistency. So, it really does not matter what tone you were born with, the minute you stop practicing and rehearsing, the chances of becoming a bad singer shoots up!
Also, there is really no such thing as `all singers are born’ because what your voice becomes, is what you make of it. Admittedly, some singers are born with very lovely tones but that does not mean a person can not become a good singer with whatever tone they’re born with. This is why this list of easy-to-follow tips was made. So you can take on this challenge and become just as good.
Recommended: How to be an intelligent student at school
The first thing we have to do here is point out the difference between tone and range. The reason for this is because a lot of people confuse tone with range and it is discouraging if you want to get better at your singing ability. Here’s a quick difference between the two vocal terms:
a. Tone: This is the texture of your voice. How your voice comes off to your listeners. Is it smooth? Is it raspy? All of these things are determinants of what songs you should score or vocal Wwarm-ups you should do. You’d find a famous singers with tiny, smooth tones, others with slight shrill voices with a natal quality, while some others have deep, bassybrassy textures.
Knowing your voice is key to growing it. If you have a tiny voice that does not have much depth, and you’re scoring materials by singers like Tony Braxton, you’re practically wasting precious time. Be your own singer.
b. Range: This is covers more skill-based feature and is very well doing to be the basis of the tips in this list. Unlike the voice tone (there isn’t much you can do about this), you can actually work and develop your range. This is what would make you a good singer regardless of your voice texture. Vocal range covers things like how high or how low you can go, control, rifts and runs etc.
Let’s get started with the tips.
Recommended: Best side hustles for students while in school
How To Become A Better Singer Quickly For Beginners
1. Know your voice: We started earlier that you can’t grow what you don’t know. Knowing what you sound like is key to developing it. Record yourself if you aren’t sure. Play it back for people and ask them to specifically tell you what your voice sounds like. This is about criticism, so get a person that is vocally knowgeaable. You would discover details about your voice that could surprise you.
2. Always do Warm-ups: You have to do your warm-ups. Your voice needs to learn how to `wake up` everytime you call. This would build dexterity in your voice. Find a comfortable place and do your vocal exercises. The latter defers depending on what you want to build exactly for example; there is the `dog-pant’ for singers who are working on their breath control.
It helps them learn how to sing various words without breathing like they ran a mile. There’s also the `Key Run’. This is a great first exercise. When you wake up in the morning, run through several keys `do re mi fah so….’ – for several minutes until your voice clears up. You can also do it at night before going to bed.
Extra Tip: if you’re actually planning on singing to an audience on a particular day, don’t stop doing your warm ups. Start right when you get out of bed till it is time to strut your stuff.
Also see: Qualities of a good researcher
3. Get useful materials: Materials are essential to every study if you plan on excelling. This is no different. Thankfully, we have to Iinternetnternet to help us with these materials. Take advantage!
We propose that you find a good singer that has a similar texture as you and practice with their materials. You’d get better a lot faster. There is YouTube, Instagram and pieces like this one out there to explore.
4. Always listen to good music: Your ability to understand how music works can be highly improved by how frequent you listen to music. And yes! Not just any music but good music. The more you listen, the more are accustomed with what a good musician should sound like.
If you barely listen to music, you are indirectly pulling yourself down as a singer because it is possible to learn interesting moves just by listening to someone else’s song. Also, listening to songs that you don’t know how to sing can help you understand and sing it better next time. No doubt, listening to music is an effective tip if you want to become a better singer.
5. Challenge yourself: Every kind of growth takes a measure of discomfort and work. Make out time for personal rehearsals, find a choral group, get a coach. Whatever you decide (we recommend all three), take at least an hour a day to rehearse.
Recommended: Advantages and Disadvantages of the Internet
6. Be Consistent: This is the greatest tip of all; consistency. It takes at least five months to master a new vocal skill. Imagine putting in a hour daily for that long! You are definitely going to get better regardless of what your singing sounds like.
If you start working out it and stopquit after a month or two, you’ve basically wasted the entire time on nothing. Turn rehearsing your singing to a habit.
Recommended: Fastest Rappers in the world 2022
7. Get warmed up before singing: Because you naturally put more emphasis on trying to sound good than on your posture and technique when singing a song, it doesn’t count as a warm-up. Conversely, warm-ups help you widen your range and isolate specific problem areas.
Always keep in mind that warm-ups are not supposed to sound good. In fact, even if you have a professional singing voice, the majority of them sound very annoying and stupid. If you don’t want to bother anyone, find a quiet area to perform your warm-ups.
Make sure you warm up your chest and head voices. The head voice, sometimes known as the upper voice, is lighter and more airy than the bottom voice, which is louder and more substantial. Imitate an opera singer to develop your top voice. Your lower voice is more in line with your normal speaking range. Warm up by doing mouth stretching. Open your mouth wide and make the sound “Ooh wee ooh oohweeooh” as you practice scales. Alternately, practice tongue trills while descending the scale from the highest note to the lowest pitch.
Also see: Countries that make the best music in the world 2022
8. Utilize pitch by recognizing it: To flaunt your pitches, you have to first know what it is. One of the best and easiest ways to do this is by singing along with a keyboard. You can also use a piano if there’s one around. Press a key on the instrument then sing ‘ah‘ to match the pitch of the sound produced by the instrument.
The notes A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, G, and G# in the key of C should be played using the methods below. On the piano, the sharp notes are represented by the black keys next to the corresponding notes. If you have problems recognizing pitch, use a program like Sing Sharp.
Recommended: How to become the best version of yourself
Finally, bear in mind that there is no perfectly good singer in the world. There are great singer though and all of them are a product of hard work and consistency. You can start your own journey.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ACMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.