How To Increase The Chances Of Having Twins: When two separate eggs are fertilized in the womb or when a single fertilized egg develops into two embryos, twins are the outcome. The conversation about having twins tend to divide individuals along ideological lines. While some couples express a yearning for the chance to give birth to and raise twins, other spouses are pretty much not thrilled by the idea. Nevertheless, twin pregnancies have nearly doubled over the last 40 years, as per reports from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Trusted Source, and this coincides with an increase in fertility treatments. Now more than ever, twin pregnancies are increasingly more common.
There are several myths regarding how to increase the likelihood of conceiving twins. Although there are no known strategies to raise the possibility of having twins, there are a few variables that can boost the chances of this kind of pregnancy. This article delves into how to raise one’s chances of having twins.
How Twin Conception Happens
Understanding how twins are conceived is essential if you want to comprehend how to raise one’s chances of becoming pregnant with them.
There are two types of twins:
Identical (Monozygotic) Twins
One fertilized egg by one sperm results in identical twins. Two distinct embryos are then formed from the split egg. The placenta and amniotic sacs of identical twins may be shared, or the placenta may be shared but the amniotic sacs may be distinct. The two children are identical genetically. Having identical twins is pretty rare, occurring about 3-4 times out of every 1,000 births.
When two distinct eggs are fertilized by two separate sperm, non-identical (or fraternal) twins are produced. Non-identical twins each have a separate placenta and a distinct genetic makeup. Fraternal twins are more likely among women who are expecting twins.
Recommended: Countries With The Highest Rate Of Cybercrime
What Increases The Chance Of Twins?
A woman having twins is more likely when several factors come into play. These comprise:
1. Family History: A woman’s likelihood of having twins is somewhat raised if her family has a history of having them. If the mother’s side of the family has a history of having twins, as opposed to the father’s, this likelihood will be higher. Hyperovulation, which occurs when the body releases two or more eggs during ovulation could be a reason for this. The genes responsible for this can be inherited.
The ASRM estimates that one in every 60 births produces twins for women who themselves are nonidentical twins. The likelihood of conceiving twins is only 1 in every 125 births for males who are nonidentical twins. A person may have twins if one of their grandparents had twins, according to certain beliefs that twins can skip a generation. There isn’t much evidence to back up this notion, though.
2. Fertility Treatment: The usage of reproductive treatments has been noted to be the primary factor that enhances the likelihood of conceiving twins. The chance of twins increases in different ways depending on the type of fertility therapy used. Some fertility medications stimulate a woman’s ovaries, which sometimes leads to the release of more than one egg. Twins may emerge from the fertilization of both of these eggs by sperm. Twin conception rates can go up using in vitro fertilization (IVF).
IVF is performed by medical specialists who take a woman’s eggs and fertilize them in a lab with a donor’s sperm to create an embryo. The fertilized embryo is subsequently placed into the woman’s womb.
The medical practitioner may insert more than one embryo into the womb to boost the chance of success. If both embryos successfully grow and implant, twins may result. Multiple pregnancies are associated with additional risks, thus the healthcare professional will normally restrict the number of embryos transferred to the woman’s womb to minimize the likelihood of a pregnancy with twins, triplets, or more.
Recommended: 14 Major Causes of Unemployment In Nigeria
3. Age: Women who are 30 years of age or older are more likely to conceive twins, according to several reports. This is because older women are more likely than younger ones to release several eggs during their reproductive cycle. Twins can be born if sperm fertilizes two different eggs.
4. Height and Weight: Nonidentical twins are somewhat more likely in taller or heavier women than in smaller women, according to several reports. It’s unclear why this is so, although better nutrition could be a factor. The resources available to a growing fetus may be greater in women with a higher body weight.
Also see: Hardest Sports In The World
5. Racial Background: A woman’s likelihood of becoming pregnant with twins may also be impacted by her race. Twin pregnancies are more common in African-American women than in white women, according to the CDC. Additionally, compared to women of other ethnicities, women of Asian and Hispanic descent often experience fewer twin pregnancies.
How To Increase the Probability Of Having Twins
Although genetics play a major role in twin conception, some studies suggested that there may be other factors that could influence one’s chances of having twins.
1. Maintain A Healthy Weight: Having twins may be less likely if you are underweight. According to one research, having a high body mass index, or BMI may boost your odds of having twins, however, scientists are unsure of the exact reason why. Eat a whole, balanced diet to keep your weight in check as you try to conceive.
Recommended: Six (6) Differences Between Copyright And Trademark
2. Eat A Lot of Dairy: Although they aren’t completely conclusive, several research indicates that dairy consumption may enhance your chances of having twins. According to one study, women who ate dairy had a 5 times higher chance of getting pregnant with twins than women who ate no animal products at all.
This is most likely related to the insulin-like growth factor, or IGF, a protein that is present in animal livers. Although these studies are not definitive, incorporating more dairy into your diet as you try to conceive will not harm you.
3. Take Folic Acid: There is conflicting information on whether folic acid improves the likelihood of having twins. To attempt nonetheless wouldn’t be harmful, since folic acid is advantageous for the brain growth of your unborn child. In most pharmacies, you get these supplements.
Try consuming folic acid-rich foods like asparagus, eggs, and legumes if you don’t want to take supplements.
4. Stop Birth-control Pills Right Before Trying To Conceive: According to one study, this may cause the ovaries to release two eggs. When you decide to conceive, aim to discontinue your hormonal birth control within a year of trying to get pregnant.
To rebalance your hormones, your body may overcompensate, causing your ovaries to produce two eggs rather than one. Although not entirely definitive, it won’t hurt to give it a try. Fraternal twins, or non-identical twins, will almost certainly result from the release of two eggs. While fraternal twins develop from two different eggs, identical twins develop from a single egg.
5. Try To Conceive When You’re In Your 30s: Twin pregnancies are more common among women in their 30s. It has to do with your body’s evolutionary response to the fact that you’re less likely to have many children as you get older, therefore your body may try to create a viable twin pregnancy.
But keep in mind that older women have a lower chance of becoming pregnant than younger ones. Even if the chances increase, having twins later in life is not a certainty. Consult your doctor about your possibilities if you are trying to conceive and are older than 40.
6. Fertility Treatments: Use Gonadotropin: These are injectable fertility medications that instruct the ovaries to release a large number of eggs each month. A twin pregnancy is more likely since the ovaries are creating more than one egg. Consult your doctor to see if these medications are appropriate for you.
7. Talk To Your Doctor About Ivf (In Vitro Fertilization): Your odds of conceiving twins improve with IVF. IVF entails a doctor obtaining mature eggs, fertilizing them in a lab with sperm, and then implanting the result in your uterus.
You can schedule a consultation with a fertility specialist to see whether IVF is appropriate for you as it is often used for infertility patients who are having trouble conceiving. One IVF cycle can cost quite a bit of money. Frequently, it takes several IVF cycles to result in a viable pregnancy.
Recommended: Most Dangerous People In the World 2023
It’s essential to be aware of the elements that might improve your chances while trying to figure out how to get pregnant with twins. Other factors including nutrition, height, and weight can also be important, in addition to fertility treatments and genetics. Knowing these and your odds will help you decide if you are on the right track.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ACMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.