How to speak in public without fear or anxiety: More than half, approximately 75% of public speakers experience what is known as glossophibia which is the fear of public speech or speaking. This is a condition which could affect a persons work or emotions. This fear is bad for so many reasons. Whether it is for business or just passing across information, there is always a need for effective communication and this is hampered by the existence of glossophobia.
In this article, I will not only teach you how to speak in public without fear but I will take you through the important and causes of fear during public speaking. I therefore encourage you to read this article painstakingly so that you will be able to grasp everything contained in it.
RECOMMENDED: How to become an intelligent student in school
Causes of the fear of public speaking
Some individuals are not great at Public Speaking because of their upbringing. As humans, we are a sum total of our experiences, education, environment and exposure. Thousands of people grew up in homes that are filled with negative affirmations, while some were groomed in environments that shut them up even before they attempt to speak. Negative words such as what do you know, you are too small to have an opinion and others filled their upbringing air.
Also, some people suffered as victims of domestic violence. Without knowing it, these factors have affected them and formed their base core over time. Fear was given a deposit base within such individuals and their confidence level was dealt an Anthony Joshua blow from the onset and it has robbed many of their public speaking skills
Furthermore, generally, the negative causes apart, many persons can not speak well because of Lack of Training and nothing more.
Importance of a Good Public Speaking Skill
Public speaking is a very serious business and its importance cannot be overemphasized, some will be discussed below.
a. Leadership: Individuals of exceptional eloquence are usually called upon to take up positions of authority. They may necessarily not be the smartest in the room but loud enough to be heard and recognized. Public Speakers do not knock on doors, rather they build them.
b. Influence: Public speaking brings influence as having a recognized voice makes a person noticeable in the room and due to this, protocols could be broken for his or her sake. When it comes to people of eloquence, they understand the tools of power and navigate towards the heart of men and women of power and take a tenured seat there; they influence.
Public Speakers usually act as the power behind the throne, they stay as the people who raise the hearts and minds of leaders in their most vulnerable moments when they are not leading themselves. People break down and when they do, a great public speaker will be of great help.
c. Career Advancement: As you progress in life , you would understand particularly in a structure such as Nigeria that public speaking skills will help greatly to advance in your career. It is not enough to do the work, it pays also to be seen doing the work. It promotes to know you did the work, and if people do not know, make it loud! This does not mean that a person should overhype his or her worth, the speech should not be beyond the value you bring to the table but speak still of the value you bring, of the teamwork spirit and very importantly make it a habit to praise leaders. This can be done by words, actions or your work.
d. Good relationships: Good public speakers are generally good at networking and connecting with people. Our Words create our World; public Speakers are technically never stranded in love circles. The fact is that they seek or they are sought and thus they get to build good relationships.
Public Speakers get loved by people they know and by people they do not know , it just flows. But sometimes, they also get a reasonable bundle of hate too on the basis of their public speaking prowess.
e. Living happy: Most Public Speakers live happy lives, they mostly self motivate and are not totally dependent on external validations. In our world today where people need external confirmation, it is of the greatest comfort to be your own greatest fan. To know and actively remind yourself in your mind that you are more than enough and such power only comes from the skill of public speaking.
It is important to speak to yourself first before you speak to others and to ensure you are not speaking yourself into a fake life because the greatest form of truth is self truth. So ensure that your public speaking words are filled with truth and valid hope for a future.
RECOMMENDED: 7 Pillars of a democratic system of government
How to overcome fear during public speaking
We have already discussed the fear of public speaking and the causes of it, here are some solutions to the problem.
1. Be intentional and start speaking: as already mentioned above, public speaking is serious business and the individual must be intentional about public speaking, it is a skill which is grown daily and not in a day and the best way to become a Public Speaker without fear is to start speaking intentionally. This can happen when we give weekly calls to our various contacts, also by having mirror moments where we hold debates looking at ourselves in the mirror and so on.
As a speaker, it is necessary to make it a duty to call at least three persons weekly who will exclaim when they receive your call, atleast in the early stages as a public speaker and this is because such person always have something to talk about. And you can use them to work on your public speaking proficiency.
Also, talking for longer moments helps really to become confident in speech and it must be such that you must be intentional about it.
2. Read a lot: a public speaker must be a reader, there is something about new knowledge that needs to be shared, hence when you read you have something new to talk about to a person or group of persons about and this will go a long way to help in making your speech fluent and killing your fear of speaking.
3. Training: it is important for any public speaker who wants to attain proficiency in public speech to make it a duty to get further training on public speaking by going for various work shops and seminars on public speaking. And even while we attend the training it is important to keep speaking.
4. Prepare ahead of time: here what is necessary is practice. As a public speaker, when you have gotten your speech written, it is necessary to go over it severally and to repeatedly read it out to yourself or anyone who can listen to you and very importantly to try to look for loop holes in the paper and look for possible questions that the audience may throw at you and pre answer them.
5. Focus: it helps to reduce the fear of public speaking if the speaker can focus on the topic of the presentation and deliver it instead of dwelling majorly on the reaction of the audience or on his fear of public speech.
6. Be comfortable with the topic: a person cannot give what he does not have, therefore every public speaker is to be well acquainted with the topic he is going to speak on so that he can be at some level of ease and comfort instead of the tension that will prevail when he is not well versed in the topic in question. It is important to be confident and prepared on the subject or topic to be presented.
RECOMMENDED: Meaning and Functions of the arms of government
7. Speak out and do not rush: it is very important in boosting your public speaking skills and overcoming the fear when you realise that your audience actually are not bored but are listening to you and you can successfully get your audience to listen to you by being articulated and holding on to their attention.
This may be done by speaking eloquently in a loud enough voice, speak out and also by steadily going through the discourse instead of rushing and losing your audience.
Meanwhile, I personally encourage you to watch the video below if you need more inspiring tips that will help you to start speaking perfectly in the public.
In conclusion, it is very important to remember as a public speaker that you are not alone in the fear of public speaking and that this fear is very easy to overcome if the above given solutions can be followed intentionally, strictly and consistently.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ChMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.