How to write a Descriptive Essay: Essay writing has become an important activity in all academic related activities today, As a student, no matter the level you’re in, it is very likely that the more you progress in your academic level, the more you are going to have to know how to write really good essays.
Having said the above, the purpose of this article is to provide you with some tips on how to write a comprehensive descriptive essay that’ll keep your readers engrossed right from the very beginning all through to the end
Essay are long form writing assignments that persuade or inform a reader about a particular topic. As a There are different kinds of essay but all can be classified under the following main headings; narrative, argumentative, expository and descriptive essay. Generally, in essay writing, it is important to know which type of essay is most relevant to your topic.
Having established the above fact, I would like to help you understand how you can successfully write a comprehensive descriptive essay.
For one to comprehensively write a descriptive essay, he/ she must understand the following:
a. What a descriptive essay is
b. The purpose of a descriptive essay
c. How to write a descriptive essay
A descriptive essay should be that which provides a detailed description of the subject matter in question. It gives room for a more creative approach to writing as it’s purpose is to give the readers a broader or wider understanding of the topic by using concrete details and figurative language.
Recommended: Best Things to invest in while in school
Steps to write a descriptive essay
Here are some steps we can take to successfully write a comprehensive descriptive essay.
1. Choose a specific topic: A good descriptive essay should always stay focused on the purpose of the essay. From the topic, you can draw a perfect outline tag would help you stay on track on the kind of information that should be dominate your readers mind. In summary, a good topic is the beginning of a wonderful outcome when it comes to essays.
2. Prepare a strategic outline: This is second to selecting a specific topic. A well prepared outline guides the writer to staying on course while writing. It gives organization to the essay.
Creating outlines involves creating focal points to discuss one after the other and helps group the essay into paragraphs and categories for easy reading and keeping the interest of the reader.
Also see: How to read faster and understand
3. Research and compile detailed information: A good essay should have greatly detailed information such as names, dates, background information of the characters or story in question, physical characteristics and sensory information etc. This gives the reader a clear picture of what is in your mind and the only way to deliver such detailed information is from good research and compilation.
4. Select good choice of words and language for writing: It is usual for writers to think that the best way to make more sense or be more detailed is to use a lot of ambiguous words with meanings that an average reader cannot relate to, some even take to the habit of writing some sentences in a literary language that doesn’t suit the subject matter.
This is wrong and should change. To write a comprehensive essay, the reader should be able to understand your points and the words used to give such detailed description should be simple and relatable. This however depends on the subject matter or topic.
5. Write a great introductory paragraph: Introductory paragraphs are like tour guides to what a reader is to expect in the entire essay. While writing a descriptive essay, it is advisable to make the introductory paragraphs more exciting and engaging so the reader would be hooked in anticipation of what the rest of the essay would look like. I’d liken it to given your reader a taste of creamy, chewy chocolate. Who wouldn’t come for more?! So, a great introduction is an assurance that the reader should read on because it would be worth it. I call this The grand opening.
6. Write body paragraphs with a concise topic sentence: It is important to note that all contents of the body paragraphs of your essay should reflect your topic sentence. What is a topic sentence? A topic sentence is a kind of sentence that insinuates what you want to write about in that particular paragraph. It begins a body paragraph of the essay therefore serving as an opening to capture the readers attention. Topic sentences should therefore be specific to avoid divulging totally, the information meant for the body paragraph.
Also see: Differences between veins and arteries
7. The concluding paragraph should be a summary: The last paragraph of your essay should not be an avenue to create new ideas but to draw conclusions after compounding the previous points made in other paragraphs. It should be concise and straight to the point. This is to ensure that the reader gets to see and simply understand what the essay is about so his thoughts would not vary.
Recommended: Differences between a deed and an agreement
In conclusion, a good essay is that which is clear and passes it’s point to whom ever is reading but to write a comprehensive descriptive essay, “comprehensive” tells that the essay should be understandable to the average mind and “descriptive” shows that the essay should be full of clear, relatable details of the topic being discussed or written about.
Grab your pen and paper pals and let’s practice good essay writing today!
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ChMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.