Top 12 Best Fashion Designers In The World: Fashion can be seen as a way of expressing oneself with absolute confidence and control. It covers our appearance, what we wear and how we react and present ourselves on every occasion through specific means of clothing, footwear, hairstyles, accessories of different sort, makeup and general posture and appearance.
Fashion is a world of its’ own, it is more than just what we wear, fashion is a lifestyle and speaks a lot about our history, origin and culture. Fashion has been widely popularized by the fashion industry and the media around the globe. The fashion industry has equally streamlined the different aspects of fashion and it has helped to promote the industry even more.
Today, we have the clothing industry with specialty in fabric manufacturing, dress making and styling down to the dress modelling. This has equally been replicated in the other fashion strata like the footwear industry, the hair industry, the accessories industry and the fitness industry where postures are trimmed and refined. For the purpose of this article, we will be focusing on the clothing industry and the drivers of this industry.
Recommended: Differences Between Fashion Designing and Tailoring
The clothing industry is indeed a very huge industry under the fashion industry. The clothing industry is driven by Fashion Designers otherwise known as Tailors. The art of fashion design is not a petty skill as it requires a level of precision, meticulous detailing and high sense of professionalism. Fashion designing is the art of applying beauty, style patterns and natural accessories in constructing and making clothes.
Fashion designing is a no doubt a very lucrative skill owing to it’s rubust market. Being a fashion designer requires amongst other things, a level of creativity. This is because, the clothing made by a designer speaks more about the person wearing it. This goes to show the reverence fashion designers command around the world.
Just like every other aspect of life, the drivers of the fashion industry, specifically the fashion designers a somewhat categorized based on their level of expertise. These categorization goes to reflect their level of skill, creativity and professionalism in what they do. It greatly accounts for their level of patronage and translates to their social status as well as ranking in the industry. Let us take a look at the top 10 fashion designers in the world.
Recommended: Best Universities in Ghana 2022
Top 12 Famous/Best Fashion Designers in The World
1. GIORGIO ARMANI: The richest gay stylist in the world with over US$9.53billion Dollars (according to Bloomberg Billionaires Index 2021) established his own fashion line in Milan, Giorgio Armani S.P.A on 24 July 1975, with his friend Galeotti. The Italian fashion designer was born in 1934.
He had worked as a freelance designer for many notable Companies like Bagutta, Hilton and others before establishing his own fashion line. His brand the Armani is known worldwide and was considered the richest Italian fashion designer in 2001.
2. RALPH LAUREN: Raph Lauren, an American philanthropist and business man worth over US$6.5 billion dollars is a fashion designer. Born in 1939, Lauren owns the Raph Lauren global multi-billion Dollar Corporation. He is well known for his famous fashion industry and his automobile collections. He remains the Chief Creative Officer of the company and Executive Chairman, even though he stepped down in 2015 as the CEO.
Lauren received the Coty Award for the highest creativity of the year in men’s fashion design in 1970. Raph Lauren has won numerous awards in the fashion designing industry over the years including the 1976 Coty Hall of Fame for Menswear, and also his second Coty Award for Women’s wear as well as the American Fashion Award in 1975.
3. CALVIN KLEIN: The American Academy of Achievement’s Golden Plate Award winner was born in 1942. Calvin Klein is an American fashion designer and business man. One of the top 10 fashion designers in the world who launched the company that later became Calvin Klein Inc. in 1968.
He has a registered mark in jewelries, perfumes as well as expensive watches in addition to his clothing line. Klein has won other numerous Awards aside the American Academy of Achievement’s Golden Plate Award such as the Outstanding Design in Men’s and Women’s Wear in 1974
4. MARC JACOBS: The American fashion designer and founder of the Marc Jacobs Fashion Level, was the French design Company, Louis Vuitton, Creative Director for over 17 years, starting from 1997. The head of the Marc Jacobs fashion Label (his own fashion line) was born in 1963, April 9th.
One of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2010 as recorded by Time Magazine is a renowned fashion designer, though one of the influential gay in America, he remains a top figure in the fashion industry. In 1992, Jacobs received The Women’s Designer of the Year Award from the Council of Fashion Designers of America.
5. DONATELLA VERSACE: Donatella Francesca Versace popularly known as Donatella Versace is the sister of the owner and founder of the Italian Luxury Clothing line, Versace, Gianni Versace. The fashion designer and business mogul is also a model. She was born in 1955. With a portion of the Gianni’s Versace fashion Company inherited by Donatella after the death of the founder Gianni Versace in 1997. She is currently the Versace brand Chief Creative Officer and has far transformed the brand into a resounding brand worldwide. Versace remains one of the best fashion designers in the world with a worldwide brand of clothing line.
Donatella Versace has won numerous awards including the 2004 Bambi Award for Fashion, World Fashion Award as Designer of the Year in 2005, 2017 Fashion Icon of the Year award by the British Fashion Council and most notably, the First woman to be named as the Designer of the Year at the GQ Men of the Year Awards in UK and in China 2018.
6. COCO CHANEL: The famous Gabrielle Bonheur “Coco” Chanel known for her exquisite Luxury Clothing and fragrance line was born in August 1883 and died 10 January 1971 as one of the world’s best fashion designers. She was a French fashion designer and also a business mogul in her time. She was the founder of the Chanel brand which until today, remains one of the leading brands in the fashion industry.
Chanel was a fine fashion designer to the core and only fashion designer mentioned as one the 100 most influential people of the 20th century as listed on Time magazine. Her jewelry, bag and clothing line are of great aesthetic taste. She was one of the best fashion designers in the world and her brand continues to maintain the standard.
7. TOM FORD: Tom Ford SA is one of the world’s leading brand in the fashion industry. The founder and owner of the TOM FORD brand is a renowned fashion designer. He founded his fashion line in 2005 and has ever since been making leads in the industry with luxury ready to wear Clothing and bags, as well as cosmetics and footwear.
He also runs a collection of luxury accessories. He’s worth over US$654million
8. CHRISTIAN DIOR: the French fashion designer Christian Dior is the founder and top share holder of the world renowned luxury Fashion Company commonly referred to as DIOR in 1946. Dior is a French luxury fashion house known for its aesthetic quality and expensive clothing and jewelry line.
It is renowned worldwide and certainly one of the top ten best fashion designers in the world.
Recommended: How To Become a Professional Photographer
9. DONNA KARAN: The American fashion designer Donna Karan also referred to as DK was born in 1948. She is the founder and owner of the famous DKNY clothing label.
Donna Karan won the Menswear Designer of the Year by the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) in 1992 and in 1990 and 1996 she won the Women’s wear Designer of the Year by the CFDA among many others.
10. MIUCCIA PRADA: The Italian fashion designer and billionaire Miuccia Bianchi Prada is the co-CEO and Head Designer of one of the world’s richest clothing label, Prada. The Prada co-CEO born in May 1949 has been estimated to worth over US$4.8billion by Forbes.
Recommended: Most Friendly Animals To Humans
11. Karl Lagerfeld: Despite his history of controversy, late German designer Karl Lagerfeld continues to be considered as one of the most important people in fashion. Up to his passing, Lagerfeld led Chanel’s design team and completely revamped the ready-to-wear line. He is even credited with creating the fashion label’s iconic interlocking “CC” emblem.
Lagerfeld has worked extensively with Fendi, a business that specialized in leather goods, in addition to his work with Chanel. With his sleek and modern designs, Lagerfeld never shied away from taking risks, and he will be recognized as a major game-changer in the fashion industry.
12. Betsey Johnson: American fashion designer Betsey Johnson is known for her very feminine, wacky, and quirky creations. After serving as a Mademoiselle magazine intern and getting to know amazing editor Edie Locke, Johnson was hired as an in-house designer by the Paraphernalia boutique in Manhattan. She launched her own clothing business in the late 1970s.
Johnson demonstrates that fresh, colorful designs can be just as fashionable as avant-garde ones by being inducted into the Fashion Walk of Fame and receiving the National Arts Club’s Medal of Honor for Lifetime Achievement in Fashion.
Also see: Differences Between Goals and Objectives
In conclusion, the fashion industry is indeed a big flourishing industry. The list is endless but for the purpose of this article, we have been able to narrow down to the top 10 best fashion designers in the world and like we saw in the introductory part of this article, their skill, dexterity and artistic prowess in the industry has shown great reflection in their status and world recognition.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ACMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.