How To Be A Good Mother: You’ve probably done a lot of difficult things in your life, but if you’re a new mother, you realize that those duties pale in comparison to being a mother. For first-time mothers, becoming a mother is a demanding undertaking. You will become exhausted chasing after your children for every minor chore. From the moment she is created, your kid is reliant on you.
You’re her nurse, best friend, confidante, caregiver, and most important person on the planet. It’s difficult not to feel the strain since that small kid is so precious to you. Obviously, you’ll go to great lengths to be a good mother, won’t you? So, here are some helpful hints to help you be a better mother to your child.
Recommended: Roles and Responsibilities Of Father in the Family
10 Tips on Being a Good Mother
1. Let go of your inner critic: Being a good mother requires you to let go of your inner critic. No mother should ever put herself in the shoes of another parent. No two moms are alike, just as no two children are alike, and each parenting style has its own place.
We are always our worst critics, and it’s all too tempting to compare ourselves to Susie Homemaker, Cathy Corporate, and every other Instagram parent. We often question why we can’t be more like other mothers, but what we don’t know is that we’re frequently comparing our worst to their best at the time.
As we let go of our inner critic, we begin to believe that we are doing a wonderful job and that we truly belong in the good parents club.
2. Your finest will suffice: We all want to give it our all, but the trouble arises when we believe that our best isn’t good enough. We may feel that our efforts fall short no matter what we do, but consider how your son or daughter views things, especially when they’re young.
Do you think they’ll notice that their mother couldn’t afford to get them the Halloween outfit they wanted? Instead, they’ll remember how much fun they had helping you make their costumes, even if they didn’t turn out perfectly.
Children will not remember the things they have, but they will remember the memories you make with them.
Also see: Best Age Difference Between Husbands And Wifes
3. Less is more in this case: Children, especially those who are young, appreciate the basic pleasures of life. The great lengths you took to arrange them the perfect birthday celebration may be lost on them. They won’t recall the large stack of gifts.
They will, however, remember that one tiny unique present you purchased or that particular mother and I ice cream date. A child’s attention is drawn to a variety of things at once, but the tiny moments you create will shed a bright light on your child’s memory.
4. Date each of your children separately: Every child desires to be valued, and one of the most effective ways to do so is to spend quality time with each of them individually.
Sure, family time is vital, but make sure you set out time for each child and utilize it to speak with them and learn about their hobbies.
Also see: Duties of Children in the family
5. Set fair expectations: You can’t expect the house to be pristine when you have small children roaming about. You can’t expect teenagers to tell you everything that’s going on in their lives down to the finest detail, just as you can’t expect them to tell you everything that’s going on in their lives.
Moms are happier, less worried, and life appears to run more smoothly for everyone in the family when we set fair expectations.
Also see: How to become a better version of themselves
6. Being a good mother requires effective communication: When we’re trying to find out how to be a good parent, communication is crucial. Communication is about far more than the amount of words that come out of your child’s mouth, regardless of how much or how little he or she speaks to you. It’s about taking an active role in their pursuits. Spend some time listening to your son’s music or sitting with them as they play video games.
Just remember that understanding your child’s hobbies will provide you with information about him that you would never be able to get otherwise, even if you try to have a discussion with him. If your children (particularly teens) start chatting to you, regardless of how busy you are, pay attention. This is when they may want your assistance the most.
Establish strong communication with your children early on so that you have years of practice interacting with them as parenting becomes more challenging.
Also see: Advantages and Disadvantages of Being an Entrepreneur
7. Make sure the punishment is appropriate for the offence: Discipline is unavoidable in the lives of children. Good mothers assess each scenario and determine the appropriate punishment based on the offense.
Allow your children, if they are old enough, to assist you in determining appropriate penalties. If the youngster is too young to understand, make sure the punishment is proportional to her actions.
8. Underperform: We often feel compelled to dress up as Super Mom, complete with boots and a cape, and fly about doing everything.
We believe we must keep our homes immaculate at all times, assist our children with their schoolwork, research and make a presentation that wows our customer at the dinner hour, and yet have a hot, handmade supper on the table at home.
Of course, it’s impossible to achieve all of these at the same time in reality, so pick one subject you can focus on and master. You may not be a great cook, but you excel in research and public speaking. Just concentrate on your job presentation and then help your kids with schoolwork over a late dinner from the neighborhood takeout joint.
Recommended: How to start and grow a Godly Relationship
9. Allow your children to make mistakes: No parent should ever go behind their child and correct all of their errors. Of course, it’s critical to be present if your child makes a major error and to ensure that he understands that he may come to you for help.
However, there are occasions when it is vital to let him fail. Allow him to work out what went wrong on his own if his partner breaks up with him because he spent too much time playing video games and not enough time with her.
It’s OK to let him know what’s going on, but don’t solve it for him. If mom is always there to correct him, he will never learn how to experience life and solve difficulties on his own. It’s important to remember that being a good enough mother isn’t a question of opinion. It is undeniable that you are already adequate. All you have to do is believe it.
10. Take better care of yourself so that you can perform at your peak: Being a mother requires a lot of self-care. A mother who does not look for herself is unable to look after her children. For example, a mother who is really ill but does not go to the doctor may get progressively weaker until she is unable to get up to bring her kid food.
On the other hand, if she had gone to the doctor and gotten some antibiotics, the sickness would not have been as severe and would have passed in a matter of days.
The same may be said for moms who are in good health. A mother who does not take time for herself will feel pressured and unappreciated. She is unable to love people, particularly her children, when she is anxious and rejected. So make time for yourself. Read a book, take a bath, work out, and get a pedicure. Do whatever makes you feel better and allows you to return recharged so you can continue to be a wonderful mother.
Recommended: Countries with the Most Beautiful Women in the world 2022
It is critical that you offer yourself some sensitive love and care when caring for your children. Make sure to stay physically fit and to spend some time away from the kids every now and then to refresh your thoughts and emotions. You won’t be able to aid your children in any manner if you burn out. A mother is the family’s beating heart and a child’s guiding hand. As a result, set a positive example for your youngster.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ACMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.