How to Gain Admission With Low JAMB Score: After writing my first JAMB examination in 2017, I had 210 as my total score. I felt very bad then because my intention was to study law and I needed nothing less than 250 to gain admission into my dream institution. To be frank, i cried for days until I read an article that explained to me that it is actually possible to gain admission with low JAMB score. It was from that article that I also knew that it was possible to gain admission into the university without taking JAMB examination.
I know there are thousands of students who are also in the same situation currently and that is why i have decided to share this article today. Consequently, if you have written JAMB examination, but you are not sure of gaining admission because of your low score, this article is going to be an eyeopener as i am going to discuss how you gain admission with low JAMB score. Trust me; you will not regret reading this work.
How You Gain Admission With Low JAMB Score in 2023
1. Apply for a change of course or institution form: One way to gain admission even with very low JAMB score is by applying for JAMB change of course and institution form. Change of course forms are often sold to aspirants who are unable to gain admission with low JAMB score. Though, in the form, an aspirant is expected to change his choice of course to something else.
Universities in Nigeria often sell their change of course form after they must have released all their admission lists for the year. However, some universities can do it at anytime. So, if you have been scared of a slim chance of gaining admission into the university with a low JAMB score, then you shouldn’t panic at all. Just make sure you get the change of course form as soon as it is out on sell.
One other tentative thing to do when you have low JAMB score, is to reapply for a lesser competitive institution. No doubt, there are some institutions in Nigeria that are less competitive, and are also very easy to gain admission into. So, with your low JAMB score, your chance of gaining admission becomes more consolidated. Click here to see easy Admission universities in Nigeria.
2. Apply for universities that does not require JAMB result before admission: Another way to gain admission with low JAMB score, is to apply for admission in institutions that needs no JAMB result to offer admission. Well, I guess this will surprise you a little, but for sure, there are so many tertiary institutions in Nigeria, that does not require students to present their JAMB examination results before they offered admission.
Examples of universities that needs no JAMB result before offering admission are private universities. Aside from that, there are also ways you can gain admission without JAMB examination. I recommend that you read my article on how to gain admission without JAMB for more information.
3. Purchase the schools shopping form: Most federal and state universities in Nigeria has a form used by students to apply for admission in the school while previous application is still pending. This form is called shopping form. In many schools, the price is about 10,000 to 25,000 naira. The interesting thing about buying shopping form it the fact that it doesn’t invalidate your previous admission.
It can serve as a backup plan for you. When the school eventually releases its admission list. You can gain admission via any of the applications. Sometimes, candidates can even gain admission via the two application forms and be allowed to select the one they want to go form.
Yes, this is actually allowed in most Nigerian schools. You just have to know when the form will be released to the general public to purchase. So, with a low jamb score which you don’t know whether it can gain you admission, you can apply for the shopping form for a lower course while retaining your previous application.
4. Study hard for Post-UTME: Initially, Post-UTME screenings were supposed to be internal examinations conducted by various institutions in Nigeria for the purpose of testing the knowledge of students who made it through JAMB, and want to study in the school. However, Post-UTME examinations today are even more important than JAMB examination because many institutions in Nigeria use it to augment the JAMB scores of aspirants.
A student who has about 200 in JAMB examination should not totally loose hope of gaining admission into the his/her dream school because, it is still possible to read and pass post UTME examination with an excellent result. This system has helped many students with very low JAMB score to gain admission.
All that is required is to prepare properly for your Post-UTME examination and try to make better score. So, with your low JAMB score, you will be able to gain admission by preparing very well for Post-UTME examination.
Recommended: Richest Musicians In Nigeria And Their Networth
5. Privileged quota system: In many institutions in Nigeria, admission via privileged quota system is obtainable. What does this entail? There are personnel who have worked and gained prominence in the university environment. Most often, it is the lecturers who are principal officers of the school and of their various departments and faculties. Such lecturers often have the privilege of recommending applicants for admission, even when such applicants do not meet the cut off mark. However, and of course, such applicant must have met the general JAMB cut off mark and must have fulfilled all other requirements for admission such as, having his or her O level result ready, and so on.
This is a special consideration given to such principal staff of the institution. Most often, it is the practice that each of those principal staff have a limited quota. In other words, they can only recommend a prescribed number of applicants in a year. A notable part of such privileged is tagged “Vice Chancellors List” by various institutions. A similar privilege may be extended to philanthropists who in one way or the other, may have contributed substantially to the infrastructural and other developments of the school. Even in foreign countries, this practice of giving quota to philanthropists and contributors of the school is obtainable.
Another of such similar privilege is given to the biological children of lecturers. In various institutions in Nigeria, one of the privileges enjoyed by lecturers of that institution is the fact that their children gains automatic admission as long as they meet a prescribed cut off mark (usually the JAMB general cut off mark) which is substantially lower than mapped out for other aspirants. So, in any of these categories of privileged quota system discussed, an applicant with a low JAMB score may find admission favour if any of the holders of the quota recommends the person.
Applying to an institution that considers O level as part of the grading system
In Nigeria, there are higher institutions that do not require their applicants to sit for Post-UTME or aptitude test. Post-UTME is an examination which corresponds with the UTME given by JAMB. But Post-UTME is issued by institutions themselves. So, some institutions, instead of issuing Post-UTME, Opts in to use the O level results of the candidates as their grading system. In such a case, an A in any course bears 100% or its equivalent, after which it may be divided accordingly.
This all depends on the system of calculation as may be determined by the institution. The implication is that where one makes better grade in his WAEC, NECO or GCE (which are basically the O level certificates recognized in Nigeria), such a person stands better chance of getting admission even if he scores low in JAMB. So, it is important to find out institutions that combine O level and JAMB as opposed to those that consider JAMB only; or a combination of JAMB and Post-UTME.
So far, i have mentioned and explained some of the ways to gain admission with low JAMB score in 2023. I am optimistic that with the foregoing, you will no longer panic again because your JAMB score is very low. Simply use any of the points above, to make your chance to getting admission propitious. Hope this article was helpful? I would like to hear from you if you still have questions or contribution to make on this topic. Kindly use the comment section below.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka, ACMC, is a lawyer and a certified mediator/conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a developer with knowledge in various programming languages. Samuel is determined to leverage his skills in technology, SEO, and legal practice to revolutionize the legal profession worldwide by creating web and mobile applications that simplify legal research. Sam is also passionate about educating and providing valuable information to people.