Best Museums in The World: As humans, we all love to take some time out to relax and have fun. It is quite interesting and most times very important and necessary for our well-being. Due to the body composite and daily activities, the body gets worn-out or fatigued. It has been scientifically and medically proven that rest is one of the best ways to rejuvenate the body system from fatigue. Resting is one of the things we do to relax.
When we get physically drained or mentally, emotionally or psychologically exhausted, we choose either to rest or get involved in some some of physical and therapeutic activities that would help us relax. Because of our individual differences in both genetics and otherwise, some people would rather do something that is entirely different like traveling, visiting friends or special places or spots and many other things. Some of the very interesting places people take their time to visit when they want to relax and have some fun includes; movie theater, art galleries, parks and zoos, mountains and resorts and most especially; museums.
A museum is said to be a building or place or even an institution where precious objects like cultural artifacts, historic and artistic objects of monumental importance are often kept and cared for. Some times, it serves as a repository station for valuable information and objects of both cultural, social and scientific importance. Museums are mostly owned by the States and the items held in museums are often displayed for public view, sometimes for free and some other time for a few. Showcasing the works in a moseum maybe scheduled to happen for a specific duration or permanently. It helps to acquaint the general public with history and also serve as help to scientific research works.
Museums are very great place visit and yearly, there’s quite a number of people that visits museums for several purposes. Sometimes, it happens that some museums attracts more visitors than others for many reasons that could include; proximity, the level and quality of items held in the museum. We will now take a look at some of the museums in the world with high level of patronage or visitors annually.
Recommended: Oldest books in the world
Top 14 Most Beautiful/Best Art And History Museums in The World 2024
1. LOUVRE MUSEUM IN PARIS: With about 2,825,000 visitors in 2021, the Louvre museum remains the most visited museums in the world even after the pandemic that affected the number of visitors before the pandemic. The Lauvre museum was opened on the 10th of August 1793. It started operation with an exhibition of about 537 paintings.
The majority of the works on display where mostly royal and confiscated church property. In 1796, the museum was closed until 1801 as a result of structural problems that affected the building. The museum holdings had increase and even more in recent time through constant donations and bequest.
These increase has been recorded since the 3rd Republic. The museum is known to hold some of the best collections which is divided among eight curatorial departments. They are the Egyptian Antiquities; Greek, Etruscan, and Roman Antiquities; Near Eastern Antiquities; Sculpture; Islamic Art; Decorative Arts; Paintings; Prints and Drawings. The Louvre museum remains the home of some of the best-known art works like, Mona Lisa and the Venus de Milo. It is the most visited museum in the world and has been in existence for about 229 years.
2. NATIONAL MUSEUM OF CHINA: The National museum of China is located in Beijing, the capital city of China. The mosuem holds the record as the second most visited museums in the world with about 2,377,600 visitors recorded in 2021.
The museum is renowned and has a mission to educate visitors about the arts and rich history of China. The museum is being directed by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of China ( People’s Republic of China). It was founded in 19 years ago, in 2003. the museum has a collection size of about 1.3 million. The main collections of the museum is made up of Chinese art. The National museum of China is one of the most visited museums in the world.
3. RUSSIAN MUSEUM: The Museum is located in Saint Petersburg and had recorded about 2,260,231 visitors in 2021, making it the 3rd most visited museums in the world. It is one of the largest museums covering over 30 hectares and the world’s largest depository of Russian fine arts.
The Russian museum was established in 1895, specifically on the 13th of April. It is no joke when listed as the highest depository of Russian arts as it holds Russian arts from the 10th Century up to the 21st Century. It is one of the most famous and most visited museums in the world.
Recommended: How to handle criticisms properly
4. MULTIMEDIA ART MUSEUM: The multimedia Art Museum is located in Moscow, Russia. It has been recorded to attract over 2,242,405 visitors in 2021. It has been considered as the 4th most visited museums in the world dedicated to the preservation and development of contemporary art that are related to new multimedia technologies.
Opened in 2010 with about 1300 exhibitions. It was originally founded in 1996 and is one of the most visited museums in the world.
5. THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART: The Metropolitan Museum of Art is situated in New York City, USA. It is also recorded to have attracted about 1,958,000 visitors in 2021. Aside being the largest art museum in America, it is the 5fth most visited museums in the world.
The museum has both temporary and permanent collection. It permanent collection contains about 2 million works. The collection is divided int seventeen curatorial departments. Founded in 1870, the museum ranks as one of the most visited museums in the world.
Recommended: How To Maintain Farm Structures and Buildings
6. GALLERIA DEGLI UFFIZI: With over 1,721,637 visitors to the museum, the Uffizi art gallery is a famous art museum in Florence. The museum is strategically located in the region of Tuscany, adjacent to the Piazza della Signoria. The museum is the most visited Italian museum and one of the largest in the world.
The gallery was established in 1581 and holds series of invaluable art collections that dates back to the Italian Renaissance. These has been a major factor that attracts visitors to the museum, making it one of the most visited museums in the world.
7. THE NATIONAL GALLERY OF ART: Located in Washington DC, the museum boasts of over 1,704,606 visitors in 2021. The National Gallery of Art, is known for its attached Sculpture Garden. It is a national art museum in Washington, D.C and is open for free to the public. The museum was privately established and funded in 1937.
Most of the art works held by it were donated to it. The Gallery’s collection including it paintings, drawings, prints, photographs, sculpture, medals, and decorative arts are known to trace back to the development of Western Art. Right from the Middle Age to the present. The museum also holds the only painting by Leonardo da Vinci. It is one of the most visited museums in the world.
8. STATE HERMITAGE MUSEUM: The State Hermitage museum is situated in Saint Petersburg. As one of the most visited museums in the world, it recorded a large number of visitors in 2021 with about 1,649,443 visitors.
It is a museum of art and culture in Saint Petersburg, and the largest art museum by gallery space. The museum was founded in 1764 and open to the public since 1852. It is one of the most visited museums in the world.
9. MUSEO REINA SOFIA: The museum is one of the largest art museum in Spain located in the heart of Madrid, with about 1,643,000 visitors attracted in 2021, the museum remains one of the most visited museums in the world. The museum is Spain’s national museum holding mostly Spain’s 20th-century art.
It was inaugurated on the 10th of September, 1990. The museum is quite spectacular and is named for Queen Sofía. Having been open for the general public for over 30 years, it remains one of the best art galleries and most visited museums in the world.
10. VATICAN MUSEUM IN VATICAN CITY: The Vatican Museum is one of the very ancient museums still in existence and open to the public. Established in 1506, it is located in Vatican City in Rome.
The museum is known to hold some of the renowned Roman sculptures and important masterpieces of Renaissance art in the world. With over 70,000 works, of which 20,000 are on display, it attracted about 1,612,530 visitors in 2021 making it one of the top 10 most visited museums in the world.
Recommended: IPhone Or Samsung, Which Is Better
11. THE RIJKSMUSEUM, AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS: One of the most well-known museums in the world, the Rijksmuseum is situated in the center of Museum Square in Amsterdam. The Nationale Kunstgalerij was the name given to the museum when it first opened its doors in 1800.
The museum was originally housed in Huis ten Bosch in The Hague, but in 1808 it relocated to Amsterdam, the country’s new capital. Eight thousand of the museum’s one million art and historical artefacts from the years 1200-2000 are on exhibit. Even if you just have a short amount of time, a stroll around the Gallery of Honor will give you a glimpse of some of Dutch’s best works of art.
12. THE PRADO, MADRID, SPAIN: Architect Juan de Villanueva created the structure that now houses the National Prado Museum in 1785. King Charles III gave the order for it to be built in order to house the Natural History Cabinet.
However, King Ferdinand VII, with the support of his wife Queen Maria Isabel de Braganza, decided to utilize the structure as the new Royal Museum of Paintings and Sculptures. The Prado was first accessible to the public in 1819, and it is still among the most well-liked locations in the art world today, with 3 million yearly visitors and a website presence that attracts more than 10 million users.
13. THE MUSEUM OF MODERN ART, NEW YORK, USA: The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), inaugurated in 1929 as an educational institution, is committed to become the world’s finest museum of modern art. The museum demonstrates this dedication through creating, maintaining, and documenting a world-class collection that represents the vibrancy, complexity, and evolving patterns of contemporary art.
From an initial donation of eight prints and one sketch, MoMA’s portfolio has expanded to encompass 150,000 pieces of art, sculpture, and design items as well as almost 22,000 motion pictures, videos, multimedia creations, film stills, screenplays, and historical documents.
14. THE SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTION, WASHINGTON DC, USA: The Smithsonian Institution, which has 19 museums and the National Zoo, is the biggest cultural, educational, and research complex in the world. According to James Smithson’s desires, the Smithsonian Institution was established in 1846 with funding from the Englishman James Smithson (1765-1829), “under the name of the Smithsonian Institution, an establishment for the increase and diffusion of knowledge.”
There is so much to see that even if you spent one minute every day and night seeing each exhibit item, you would still only visit 10% of the whole site in ten years. So it’s a good idea to concentrate on only one or two exhibitions at two or three different museums.
Conclusively, museums are indeed a place to visit. It could serve as a connection to ancient history and time or as a tourist attraction, it has the ability to connect you with your past, culture and rich heritage.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka, ACMC, is a lawyer and a certified mediator/conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a developer with knowledge in various programming languages. Samuel is determined to leverage his skills in technology, SEO, and legal practice to revolutionize the legal profession worldwide by creating web and mobile applications that simplify legal research. Sam is also passionate about educating and providing valuable information to people.