Countries With Highest Divorce Rate In The World 2022: It is said that the society is a community made up of families. That is to say; that the family is the bedrock of every society. The family however is an association of persons or group of people related by blood. Family relation is a direct consequence of marriage.
The Institution of marriage a noble and more often considered as a sacred. This is because of its religious affiliation. Marriage is an Institution or union between a man and a woman who decides to cohabit, forsaking and giving up some degree of identity, entitlements and rights. In such situation, the man and the woman agrees to a new life style and identity which in a way fuses the rights and liabilities of both parties both in law and in the eyes of the general public. The concept of marriage has gained a level of recognition in our laws aside the religious affiliation and support it enjoys. The Institution of marriage is universal and so, it is obtainable and validly recognized worldwide. A marriage can be brought to an end (divorce) where it is considered to have broken down irretrievably.
The exception and window for divorce has been maximally explored by impatient couples and parties to a failing marriage. Divorce on its own is the legal breakup or complete severance of the marrital union between a man and a woman who were lawfully married. The annulment of a marriage is a complete severance and relieve from every form of obligation cast upon the parties either on themselves or third parties by law. The marriage thereby comes to a lawful end with parties stripped of their titles, rights and obligations that arose as a result of the marriage.
The availability of the option of divorce has been utilized over the years by couples who believe their marriage has irretrievably broken down and the couples could no longer tolerate each other.
The concept of divorce came as a tool of emancipation and relief from a crumbling marriage. However, one important fact to note is that, a lot of marriages have witnessed divorce and that the level of divorce seem to be on the increase in modern times than before. The actual cause for this uptrend might not be the subject of discussion in this article, but it is sure a topical issue as it has become more prevalent around the world and even more so in some.
In this article, we are about to see some of the countries in the world that are experiencing a high level of divorce compared to their contemporaries around the globe.
Recommended: Countries with the Lowest Divorce Rates
Top 10 Countries With Highest Divorce Rate In The World
1. MALDIVES: The Maldives being an Islamic republic runs a legal system patterned according to the Islamic region which equally include the family courts The Islamic law applicable in the country maintains supremacy over other applicable laws and does not give credence to any contrary law.
The Maldives has been listed as one of the countries in the world with the highest divorce rate. Divorce is not an end to marital issues but a means to rediscover purpose and identity when the relationship becomes too bleak for the parties. The upheaval in divorce rate in the Maldives has been attributed to the flexible divorce policies and seamless court procedures when it comes to divorce cases compared to other countries with stringent divorce condition and court process.
There is also the theory of unclear boundaries with regards to the division of properties when divorce has been granted to the parties. These factors are quite critical and leaving it unchecked has contributed a great deal to the rate at which couples file for divorce in the country. With about a half of every 100 marriages divorced yearly, Maldives seem to be on the map as the country with the highest divorce rate in the world.
2. KAZAKHSTAN: The Kazakhstan being a predominantly Islamic in the Muslim Central Asia, is known for its high rate of marriages and marriage ceremonies. Most notable is the fact that over 60 percent of the marriages are among young people. These young people hurriedly get married for different reasons however, religious belief tend to play a role in influencing an early marriage amongst the Muslim community.
One of the negative impact of such early marriages is that it is usually short-lived and divorce follows shortly after. This trend has brought the country to record an alarming increase of divorce compared to other western Countries and thereby pegging them as one of the countries with the highest divorce rate in the world.
Also see: Saddest Countries in the World 2022
3. RUSSIA: The rate at which married couples file divorce shortly after their marriage was at 3.9% of every 100 marriages entered in 2021. This is over 30% of total marriages yearly in the country. It is important to note how the rate of marriage in the country saw an uptrend in 2021 for some reasons after the heat of the pandemic the previous year.
The divorce rate saw no downtrend either as the rate of divorce saw a massive increase compared to the previous years. Some of the basic factors contributing to these high number of divorce includes social infrastructural deficit and poverty amongst newly married couples.
The legal system regulating dissolution of marriage also makes it less rigorous for consenting couples to obtain a divorce. Russia has been labelled one of the countries with the highest divorce rate in the world.
Recommended: Hardest Bar Exams In The World
4. BELGIUM: With an alarming rate of 3.7% of every 100 marriages being divorced annually in Belgium, the country has been considered as one of the countries with the highest divorce rate in the world. The country acknowledges two kinds of divorce. First is divorce on grounds that the marriage has broken down irretrievably breakdown and then, divorce based on mutual consent of the parties.
While that of the parties mutually consenting to a divorce when they consider cohabitation practically impossible can be construed with less difficulty, divorce based on the marriage being broken down irretrievably is a question of law and what the law considers as a state of affair where the marriage is broken down irretrievably.
Some of the major factors considers by the law includes intolerable, and cruel behaviors from both or either of the parties, when one of the party stands the risk of being in danger or life threatening state if cohabitation or the marriage continues.
Recommended: Advantages And Disadvantages Of a Large Population
5. BELARUS: The country has been often referred to as LAND OF BROKEN MARRIAGE due to the divorce rate in the country. With about 3.7% of every 100 marriages being divorced as a result of financial challenges, the fact that most of their women prefer foreigners and other factors, Belarus is one of the countries with the highest divorce rate in the world.
6. MOLDOVA: The country has its own share of the negative social disposition over the years and has maintained a rate of about 52.56% of every 100 marriages ending up being divorced.
The Republic of Moldova is considered one of the countries with the highest divorce rate in the world.
Recommended: Easiest Jobs In The World That Pays Well
7. CHINA: The world most populous country in the world seem to have shown a great uptrend when it comes to the divorce rate in the country. With over 4 million divorce cases been recorded in 2021 and have shown no downtrend, it stands out as one of the countries with the highest divorce rate in the world with over 3.2% out of 100 marriages being divorced.
8. CUBA: The rate of divorce in Cuba has shown massive increase over the years and this has been attributed to the low cost of obtaining divorce in the country.
Cuba has been considered as one of the countries with the highest divorce rate in the world. With as low as 4 dollars, a couple could obtain a divorce in Cuba.
9. UKRAINE: Notwithstanding the fluctuation of divorce rate in Ukraine over the period of 1999 to 2018, it has maintained a very alarming rate of divorce cases compared to other countries.
Between 2018 and present day, the rate is quite worrisome as over 60% of 100 marriages face divorce yearly. Ukraine remain one of the countries with the highest divorce rate in the world.
10. DENMARK: Not disputing the fact that Denmark is one of the countries in the world with relatively low crime rate, the marriage Institution in Denmark has shown a negative disposition between 2014, to 2019, the divorce rate had witnessed a downturn however, it had risen afterwards and stands at an alarming rate since 2021 with over 2% of every 100 marriages being divorced.
Recommended: Biggest Tech Companies In The World 2022
In conclusion, marriage is a union worthy of being sustained. Every couple should be able to make up their mind after proper observation and understudy of their prospective partners before getting married, it will curb the rate aSt which couples get divorced.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ACMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.