How to Make Reading Interesting and Enjoying: If you are curious to know the tentative tips that can make reading interesting, then you are in the right place. In this article, you will learn how to make reading enjoying and interesting to you.
Studying or reading books is undoubtedly one of the most difficult part of education for many students. It is often seen as a stress that students must undergo so as to succeed in their academic pursuits. Well, the truth is that, not every student sees reading as a stress. Some students actually love reading books because it interests them.
Recently I was able to conduct some research and opinion poll on this topic, and in the course of my research, I found out some tips that can make reading really interesting and enjoying. So today, I am going to share those tips with you. I also enjoin you read this article painstakingly as i will tide you over.
Recommended: Characteristics of successful entrepreneurs
How to Make Reading Interesting and Enjoying
1. Change your mindset: To make reading interesting you have to first start with your mind. How and what do you think of reading? Fun, to pass time, not really your kind of thing, a means to distract yourself from something else or improve vocabulary only, to get one information or another, to even show off or feel fulfilled. Well, no, that’s not how it works. If you really want to develop interest then change your mindset to something more encouraging, exciting and accepting.
2. Develop interest and have a wide variety choice of books: Without interest, most certainly, nothing can be interesting; the major rule. You should have interests and if there’s none, developing an interest becomes fundamental. This means to find the right books makes reading interesting and in all your findings, find varieties. I term this, The power of good choice.
3. Get relaxed: One of the greatest mistakes students make before reading, is not getting relaxed before opening their books. I personally recommend students to make sure they are relaxed before reading, especially if they intend to read for a very long time.
There is no doubt, that reading is one of the most enervating activity to students, and at such, It is advised to get enough rest before reading so as to sustain you while you read. So, the first thing to do if you want to enjoy your reading for a very long time, is to get enough rest.
4. Try audio reading: Who says every book we read must be what we read with our eyes? How about trying audio books if you are good at listening. That is a very good way to capitalize on your interest in books without the excuse of your eyes giving up on you or you being too tired to hold and keep a book open for a long time. Just strike a good balance though.
5. Draw a reading plan: Another wonderful tips that will help to make reading interesting is to draw a reading plan. This will help you to stay focused until to meet your targeted goal. I have discovered that one of the reasons why people get tired immediately they pick up a book to read is because they don’t have actually have a target or reading plan. Consequently, the book becomes very boring because they don’t really know what they want to achieve.
The point is that you should always have an aim anytime you pick up a book to read. It will not only keep you focused but also make it difficult for you to find the book boring. Don’t start reading just like that. If you pick up a story book and you want to read for just 2 hours, you aim should be to finish at least, two chapters of the book and understand it very well.
Recommended: Strongest police force in the world
6. Creating tasks and rewards while reading: That still works! Creating tasks and rewards have been a good way of accomplishing anything anyone sets their minds to, but since this is about making reading interesting, a little sprinkle of excitement would make creating, starting and finishing a new task very very interesting.
7. Learn to reduce or cut off distractions whilst reading: Too much break in transmission slowly makes a reader disconnect. This is definitely not good on this journey, trust me. Relaxation techniques can help as well to put you back in track if you find it hard catching up. Don’t rush nor force the attention. Try reconnecting with the spirit of the book like best friends who are trying to get back after a little or huge argument (as the case may be).
Also see: How to become an intelligent student
8. Find your best place for reading: There is no doubt that everybody has his/her best place for reading. For me the best place to read is my room. Yeah! that it the best place for reading. It is different for everybody, so you have to find out the place you enjoy reading the most. This will equally help to keep you focused and make sure you are not bored.
Note that this does not mean that you won’t be able to learn anything if you don’t study in a place you like. Of course, you will be able to learn. However, there
Don’t make the mistake of following your friends or colleagues to a place where you will find it difficult to understand. You might be able to understand there too, but not as effective as the place you enjoy most.
Recommended: Advantages and Disadvantages of a rigid constitution
9. Get some snacks or water beside you: No doubt, this will also help. While you are reading, it is important you have some snacks or water beside you, to sustain you till the time you will stop reading.
However, even though this tip has helped so many students, some students still find it nauseating and will prefer reading without anything. But at the same time, I will advise you try this out, and if you don’t find it helpful, you can jettison it.
10. Try to understand anything you read: This is synonymous to the point above. It postulates that reading can only be a pleasure ride, if you are able to understand what you are reading. This point is uncontestable. There is absolutely no way you can say you enjoyed reading a book, without understanding that book. So you see, understanding is another key to making reading fascinating.
11. Don’t force it on yourself: Yes, you don’t need to force it on yourself. You just have to take it gradually. Sometimes, you read and after reading, It gets off your memory. Well, in such cases, you don’t need to panic. All you need to do, is to keep reading, and trying to understand. Believe me, if you do this for just four to five times, it will automatically, stick to your brain.
Further more, when you read and you don’t seems to understand, you should not also panic. All you have to do is to keep reading and reading. Believe me, it must surely come in. But, in more vast cases, I will advise you take that problem to your senior colleges for help.
12. Have a time of respite: Though, reading relentlessly will not kill you, but for sure, it can affect your metal capability negatively. This is why it is advisable, you take at least 5minutes to rest, after every two hours relentless reading. This is not just to help you convalesce your strength, but to help you retain all what you have read before.
If anyone must enjoy reading, he must learn to rest for some minutes after a long reading. However, this does not mean you should take all the time you have for resting. It only says, a few minutes to rest, and not all the time to rest.
Apparently, reading can be sometimes debilitating and tedious, but with these tentative tip and solutions. I believe I have gone a long way in proffering solutions to the monotonous problem of reading among students of this century. I hope it helps, Good luck.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ChMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.