Richest Politicians In South Africa: The concept of politics is one that largely embodies decision making in different human endeavors. Politics is a universal phenomenon and generally accepted. The concept of politics is quite vast but very comprehensible. It is said that; man is a political animal, and that is hardly contestable as it can be seen in every part of human lives. Being a political animal means that; the desire for supremacy and orderliness is part of human characteristics and is inseparable from man. Before we learn what politics really means in modern time, it is important to know that politics has been a way of life since the inception of man.
In areas like religion, academics, governance and social interaction, there is an infusion of politics and political tendencies in them. It suffice to state that politics makes life interesting and lively. Man is constantly on his feet in order to maintain equilibrium between how he interact with himself and how he interact with the outside world. And so, the question now would be, what is politics and what is political activities about?
Politics is the governance of a set of people, a group, a community, a state or a country. Politics is effected through political activities. Political activities has to do with the series of activities that a strategically harnessed and applied in other to achieve the smooth running or governance of a state, nation, community or group of people and organization.
Politics is the hierarchy that is observed in Institutions, the day to day planning and execution of the strategic goals for a larger purpose. It is the administration of agencies, and smaller organizations. It involves the coming together to harness ideas to achieve a common good. It is the advocacy by a minority for the betterment of the minority, it has to do with acquisition of power (known as political power) or concentration of such power in a recognized body in other to be exercised on behalf of the larger majority. Politics has its root is everything that has to do with man and his environment.
The African continent is the second most populous continent in the world after Asia. Bordered by the Mediterranean Sea to the north, the Isthmus of Suez and the Red Sea to the northeast, the Indian Ocean to the southeast and the Atlantic Ocean to the west, it has about 54 Countries including South Africa. South Africa is one of the 10 largest countries in Africa with over 60 million people. The Country was a former colony of Britain and attained self-governance in 1939. The capitals of South Africa are Pretoria, Bloemfontein, and Cape Town while the largest city is Johannesburg.
The country runs a republican system of government and that entails a transition of governance through a periodic election. Election is associated with politics and politicking. Starting from the formation of political parties down to endorsement of candidates up to the point of contesting in an election.
The political players that take part in politics and political activities are known as politicians and so, in this article, we will be taking a look at the richest politicians in South Africa. This article will enlighten you on the big shots in the South African hemisphere.
Recommended: Countries With The Lowest Population In The World
Top 10 Wealthiest/Richest Politicians In South Africa
1. CYRIL RAMAPHOSA: The Former South African president was born on November 17th, 1952. He is a not just a politician but also a rich businessman. He became the 5th South African democratically elected president in 2018, having served as Vice president to his predecessor; Jacob Zuma.
The one time chairman of the National Planning Commission between 2014 and 2018 has served as the president of the African National Congress (ANC) and had shown great activism to anti-apartheid activist, and was once the trade union leader in the country. With an estimated net worth of about US$ 450 million, he is considered as the richest politician in South Africa.
2. TOKYO SEXWALE: Tokyo Sexwale who is an anti-apartheid activist is a South African businessman and a great politician. He was once imprisoned for his strong activism against apartheid alongside notable political figures like Nelson Mandela.
He was born in 1953 and a member of the African National Congress (ANC), he has since served as Minister of Human Settlements between 2009 to 2013 after being the Premier of Gauteng Province after the 1994 democratic election in South Africa. With a net worth of about US$ 200 million, he is considered the second richest politician in South Africa.
Also see: Best Musicians in Africa 2022
3. HERMAN MASHABA: The former Mayor of Johannesburg Herman Samtseu Philip Mashaba is a South African entrepreneur, a stunch polician and the president of ActionSA. The ActionSA is a political party Mashaba formed after he left Democratic Alliance. He launched the party in 2020.
He was born in August, 1959. He is also the founder of ‘Black like Me’ a hair care product Company in South Africa which he nurtured and made most of his fortune from. Against all odds, he rose from a humble background and up to the social ladder of affluence. He has an estimated net worth of about US$ 100 million and considered one of the richest politicians in South Africa.
4. SAKI MACOZOMA: The South African businessman and human right activist was a one-time political prisoner for his activism and has risen over the years as one of the prominent political figures in the country.
He was born in 1957 and is a leader in civil society with an estimated net worth of about 60 million. He is one of the richest politicians in South Africa.
Also see: Richest Politicians In India And Their Networth
5. F. W DE KLERK: Frederik Willem de Klerk was a reformer and a key political strategist. He was born in 1936 and lived through to 2021 when he died. He was the Last Head of State from the white-minority era in South Africa and had introduced the universal suffrage system of voting. Having led the National Party NP from 1989 to 1997, he was before then, the State president of South Africa from the year 1989 up until 1994.
He later served also as the deputy president from 1994 up until 1996. He was a political icon in South Africa. Having an estimated net worth of about US$ 46 million, he is still considered one of the richest South African politician.
6. JACOB ZUMA: Jacob Gedleyihlekisa Zuma is a South African born politician a former President of the African National Congress (ANC) a popular social-democratic political party in South Africa. He was born on the 12th of April 1942, he later became the fourth president of South Africa from the year 2009 to 2018.
With a net worth of about US$ 20 million, he is considered as one the richest politicians in South Africa.
Also see: Advantages and Disadvantages of Being a Lawyer
7. THABO MBEKI: The South African politician was the second South African President from 1999 to the year 2008. Having been born in 1942, he has an estimated net worth of about US$ 10 Million and considered one of the richest politicians in South Africa.
8. BULELANI NGCUKA: Born on the 2nd of May, 1954, Bulelani Ngcuka is a South African activist, attorney and a public prosecutor as well as husband to Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, former South African Deputy President. He has an estimated net worth of about US$10 million and ranked as one of the richest South African politicians.
Also see: How to Prepare for a Debate Presentation and Win
9. MAMPHELA RAMPHELE: The co-president of the nonprofit, informal organization of intellectuals and business leaders (CLUB OF ROME) is a South African based businesswoman, a renowned Medical doctor, an anti-apartheid activist and a famous politician born in 1947.
The former vice-chancellor of the University of Cape Town (Capital of the country) was a one-time MD at the World Bank. She was a renowned political figure and has an estimated net worth of about US$5.5 million. She is no doubt one of the richest politicians in South Africa.
10. PRAVIN GHORDHAN: Pravin Jamnadas Gordhan was also one of the well-known anti-apartheid activists in South Africa. He was born on the 12th of April, 1949. The renowned politician had held some ministerial positions in the South African government Cabinet.
Having served as a Minister of Finance between 2009 and 2014 and for a second time between 2015 through to 2017, as Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs after which he also took up the position as Minister of Public Enterprises from February 2018. He has an estimated net worth of about US$5 million and counted as one of the richest politicians in South Africa.
Also see: Richest Authors In The World And Their Networth
In conclusion, considering the political figures mentioned above, one will understand that being a politician is a great deal of affair. Although it is somewhat lucrative, it is not a venture that should be considered based on financial gain but for the purpose of achieving a greater good for the general populace.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ACMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.