Countries With The Highest Consumption Of Weed: “Life is not a bed of roses” they said, it has never been a bed of roses. The idea of the world not being a bed of roses stems from the inconsistency and stress occasioned by the quest to afford a good life. Wealth they say; comes from hard work and persistency however, it is not without its stress. The stress that comes from work and related activities cause great discomfort to the individual and that brings about health care. The need and demand for stress depressants and other immune boosters seem to have been on the increase. People now result to so many things and employ different modes of relieving themselves from their daily stress.
Although regulated intentional activities generally referred to as ‘exercise’ encompassing several individual activities has been considered to be very helpful in suppressing stress and fatigue, many people have resulted to other formal and informal solutions such as drug intake and constant rest. While resting can be of great positive effect in reducing stress, the intake of drugs to suppress stress has been the preference for others. Drugs are natural or chemical products that are consumed in dosages for health care purposes.
The intake of drugs is usually determined by the health condition and severity of the situation. Drugs are preferably prescribed by medical practitioners with different appellation such as, the medical doctor, the pharmacist and others. One of the seemingly notable characteristics of drugs intake is its ability to have some form of adverse effect on the patient if not consumed appropriately or as prescribed by the physician. There are so many drugs as of today (present day in general). Ranging from the raw traditional drugs down to the orthodox medicine.
Considering the native or traditional drugs, it is quite efficacious but has been reported to pose a great health danger to patients who subscribe to it. The negative effect has been attributed to its indiscriminate intake without dosage or even knowing how to determine the right amount of dosage for a patient. On the other hand, the orthodox medicine are scientifically tested and measured to fit the right dosage a patient would need depending on the patient’s health condition. Having understood the concept of drugs and its intake, it is of great importance to emphasize on its addition.
It is an established fact that some drugs can be addictive if not properly handled by the patient. The emphasis on the additive nature of drugs crops from the negative effect of addiction which in some cases results to chronic health condition and even death. It is always advised that patients should adhere to doctor’s prescription and should not indulge in self-medication.
Having talked about drugs, its intake and addiction, it is also important to mention that the plethora of drugs in circulation is becoming overwhelming and the implication is the ability to regulate it intake but addicts and those who resort to self-medication. The illicit intake of drugs especially addictive drugs has become a global phenomenon. It is a menace that permeates gender and age. One of the most addictive and illicit drugs consumed globally is the narcotic drug referred to as cannabis or Indian hemp also known in some local region as weed.
The illicit consumption of narcotics has been a matter of concern to many countries and over the years there’s been a rise in it consumption in some countries. The level of consumption of these illicit drugs across Countries would form the subject of this article. We shall take a look at some of the countries with the highest consumption rate of these narcotics.
Recommended: Countries with the highest number of billionaires
Top 10 Countries With The Highest Rate Of Narcotics/Weed Consumption in The World
1. CHILE: The consumption rate in Chile seem to be overboard. It is recorded that users start at the age of 12 as against 14 to 15 years when compared to other countries. The country has been recorded to be one of the major consumers of the drug and has fast grown to becoming big cultivators authorities had discovered, in a raid, about 8600 marijuana plants in the Choapa province which was estimated to worth about 60 million US Dollars.
The figure had skyrocket as about 50,000 was discovered in 2019 and in 2020 about 285, 000 plants was discovered in another raid. The drug market value has since grown beyond 630 million as estimated in 2018. Chile is one of the countries with high Cannabis consumption in the world.
2. CANADA: With over 17% of Canadians ranging from the age of 16 consume cannabis for about an hour or two on a daily basis. It has also been recorded that consumers deploy different means of coming the drug which includes eating it in their food.
It is also evident that the rate of male consumers is slightly higher than the rate of female consumers. The rate has not shown any decrease in recent time. Canada remains one of the countries with the highest cannabis consumption rate in the world.
Also see: Happiest Countries in the World 2022
3. PAPUA NEW GUINEA: Notwithstanding the fact that the drug consumption in the country is considered illegal, the country continues to be one of the major consumers and even producers of the substance. The rate of male consumers also varies from the rate of female consumers.
The major consumers of the drug are young people compared to other age rage. With over 27% of young people ranging from age 14 consuming the substance, the country remains one of the countries with the highest cannabis consumption in the world.
4. ISRAEL: The handling and consumption of cannabis in Israel is highly illegal except for regulated medical reasons. In Israel, first and second offenders in possession and use of cannabis are usually not arrested but could be fined 350 dollars.
This has contributed a great deal in the rise of hemp consumption in Israel. People within the age range of 18 to 65 are recorded to consume over 27% of the drug in the country. The country has been considered as one of the country with the highest cannabis consumption rate in the world.
5. AUSTRALIA: Over 36% Australians has been recorded to have consumed cannabis in their lifetime. With over 12% of Australians consuming the drugs annually, the rate at which young persons of 14 years faced a decline in the rate of consumption around 2001 and the rate at which older persons consumed it witnessed a significant increase ever since.
It has continued to experience an uptrend in recent time and places the country as one of the countries with the highest cannabis consumption rate in the world.
6. ANDORRA: Cannabis consumption in Andorra has been one of the highest in the world and it has been attributed to the corrupt nature of the system. Most often than not, the law enforcement agencies responsible for arrest and prosecution of users and cultivators equally consume more of the substance and has contributed to the the indiscriminate use of the drugs by all and sundry.
Andorra has been recorded as one of the countries with the highest cannabis consumption rate in the world.
7. GHANA: Narcotic consumption in Ghana has gained negative traction as the rate kept increasing. It has been a matter of public health concern as young people within the age of 11 to 19 has been reported to be major consumers of the drug.
The influx of the drug into the country and it cultivation in some part of the country has equally been responsible as the level of prosecution has not been shown to be very strict. Ghana is recorded as one of the countries in the world with the highest cannabis consumption rate in the world.
8. PALAU: The intake of weed also known as hemp has been on the increase in Palau. The Island Nation has been regarded as a major producer and consumer of cannabis.
The law enforcement agencies ignoring public consumption of the drug (most times) has promoted the intake and placed the country as one of the highest consumers of cannabis.
9. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA: The United States has witnessed an uptrend in the consumption rate of narcotics. Production of cannabis in the US for household and private consumption as well as it illegal importation has been the factor contributing to the uptrend of cannabis consumption in the US and has so far place the country as one of the major consumers of cannabis in the world with about 42 million people amounting to 18% of Americans using the illegal drug.
10. NORTHERN MARIANA ISLANDS: With over 22.2% of the Country’s population recorded to be consumers of cannabis in the country by the UN Office of Drug and Crime. The rate of consumption has been on the increase since 2012 and these has contributed to the country being considered one of the highest consumers of cannabis in the world.
In conclusion, it is important to note that the government of any nation considers the wellbeing of their citizens and such concern are reflected in their laws. This is why it can be firmly opined that the illegal I take of cannabis has faced a global resentment.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ACMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.