Longest Bridges In The World: Bridges are basically constructions that span across waterway, ravine or valley from an elevated height, which allows for the passage of vehicles, trains and pedestrians. Asides serving as routes created across waterways and valleys, bridges are also constructed to decongest the road, for they can be built for the purpose of creating more road networks. So, in all, bridges are built to create ways where there is none existing in order to connect to another location. Constructions of bridges are highly major projects.
They are not cost friendly and due to the nature of bridges and the delicacy of its purpose, they must be built with the highest available skill, man power and resources. In this article we are set to consider the longest bridges in the world. You can always trust the Chinese when it comes to construction, because it seems that most of the bridges on the list are located in China. Even in many parts of the world, such heavy constructions like bridges are dependent on the Chinese initiative, skill and man power, especially when it is such that runs across rivers and valleys.
Recommended: 5 Great and Popular Debate Topics for Students
Top 10 Longest Bridges In The World
1. Danyang-Kunshan Grand Bridge: This is a bridge in China and it is the longest bridge in the world with a total length of 164.8 km. the height of the bridge is 30 metres. Its status as the longest bridge in the world is affirmed by the Guinness Book of World Record.
It was designed by the China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC). Its construction began in 2006, got completed in 2010 and was opened on 30th June 2011. The construction of Danyang-Kunshan Grand Bridge was worth the total cost of 8.5 billion USD. The bridge was built for the transportation of trains on the railway. The bridge connects between Beijing and Shanghai.
2. Changhua-Kaohsiung Viaduct: This is the number two longest bridge in the world. The bridge is located in China and has a total length of 157.317 km.
The construction of the bridge was finished in 2007. The bridge was built for a rail and connects from Baguashan, Changhua County to Zuoying, Kaohsiung. The Taiwan High Speed Rail is the company in charge of its maintenance. The bridge was designed to resist earthquake and to enable the safe stopping of trains.
3. Tianjin Grand Bridge: Tianjin Grand Bridge is a viaduct designed railway bridge and the top 3 longest bridges in the world, having a total length of 113,700 m.
The bridge is located in Hebie, China. It was built for the railway connecting Langfang and Qingxian which forms part of the High-Speed Railway connecting Beijing and Shanghai. The construction of the bridge commenced in 2006, it was completed in the year 2010 and was officially opened on 30th June, 2011.
4. Cangde Grand Bridge: Cangde Grand Bridge is the third longest bridge built on a railway and the top 4 longest bridge in the world with a total length of 105.81 km. the bridge was completed in the year 2010 and it also forms part of the High-Speed Railway connecting Beijing and Shanghai.
5. Weinan Weihe Grand Bridge: Weinan Weihe Grand is a viaduct bridge type located in China and was built to form part of the Zhengzhou-Xi’an High-Speed Railway connecting Zhengzhou and Xi’an. It is one of the longest bridges in the world with a total length of 79.732 km. the bridge cuts across the Wei River, Ling River, Luofu River, Shi Di River and Xi River.
It also cuts across railways and highways. The construction of the bridge was completed in the year 2008 but it was commissioned and officially opened on 6th February, 2010. At the time of its completion, Weinan Weihe Grand was world the longest bridge but two bridges that were subsequently built took its position. The cost of its construction was worth 8.5 billion USD.
6. Bang Na Expressway: This is the first on the list outside China. The bridge is a toll road located in Thailand and runs from Bang Na to Bang Pakong. It is an expressway bridge designed as an ordinary road, not crossing a valley or river, making it the longest car bridge in the world.
Bang Na Expressway Bridge has been in existence since the year 2000. It has a total length of 55 km. it was late Louis Berger that championed the designing of the expressway under his German company and Karnchang of Thailand. The cost of its construction is estimated at 1 billion USD.
7. Sheikh Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah Causeway: Here is another road bridge on the list of the longest bridges in the world. This is one of the latest massive bridge projects in the world. Sheikh Jaber Causeway is the 4th longest road bridge in the world. What is meant by road bridge is that it was not built across valleys and waters. The bridge has its location at Kuwait.
The bridge was designed by Systra. Its construction was done by Hyundai Engineering and Construction, and the road is managed by the Ministry of public Works. Its construction costs about 3 billion USD. The construction of Sheikh Jaber Causeway commenced on 3rd November, 2013, was completed on 1st May, 2019 and was commissioned on the same 1st May 2019. The bridge connects Kuwait City to Northern Kuwait, Doha Link, Northern Bay Island and Southern Bay Island. Sheikh Jaber Causeway has a total length of 48.5 km and 151 m height. The bridge has 8 lanes in total; 6 traffic lanes and 2 emergency lanes.
8. Beijing Grand Bridge: This is a viaduct designed bridge type which is built and connects Beijing to Shanghai High-Speed Railway. The bridge has its location at Beijing, China. It has a total length of 48.15 km, being one of the longest bridges in the world.
The construction of Beijing Grand Bridge; a construction that employed over 10,000 people, began sometime in 2006 and was completed in the year 2010 and it was officially commissioned and opened on 30th June, 2011.
9. Jiaozhou Bay Bridge: Jiaozhou Bay Bridge is one of the longest bridges in the world. It is a 26.707 km long road bridge between Qingdao and Huangdao District, China.
The bridge was designed by Shandong Gaosu Group. The construction of the bridge commenced sometime in 2007, was completed in 2011 and was commissioned on 30th June, 2011. The total cost of construction is estimated to worth CNY10 to 55 billion. The bridge is expected to be best until after 100 years.
10. Lake Pontchartrain Causeway: The Americans simply call it the Causeway. It is a two-parallel bridge in the United States which crosses Lake Pontchartrain. The Bridge is located in Metairie and Manderville, Louisiana, United States.
One of the parallel bridges in longer, having a total length kilometer of 38.35. The bridge as opened on 30th August, 1956 for the southbound and 10th May, 1969 for the northbound. The bridge was formerly the longest bridge over water in the Guinness Book of World Record until further categories were created on the rating by aggregate and continuous length over water.
Recommended: 7 Causes of The Aba Women Riot of 1929
When it comes to construction technology, the Chinese are at the top. This explains why bridges in China occupy most positions on the list of the longest bridges in the world. The above lists are just the top 10. Should the list continue, China bridges would continue to feature.