Roles and Responsibilities Of a Manager in an Organization: The place of a Manager in every organization is indispensable as no organization can truly function without a Manager because of the intrinsic function which a Manager plays to the success and progress of every Organization. A Manager is a Professional and an employee in an Organization who is appointed by key figures in the organization to organize, govern, manage and supervise the activities of the Organization and the group of workers therein.
This Manager manages other workers in the organization to ensure the efficiency of their performance in their designated roles and such a Manager also performs a couple of other functions which we shall duly consider in this Article. From the foregoing, we can grasp that a Manager manages the activities of an Organization and is appointed to do so, so therefore an organization must get it right in it’s appointment of a Manager.
It is not every employee who can perfectly fit into this role of a Manager and when an organization goes on to appoint a person who does not perfectly fit into this role it is to their own disadvantage, so therefore they must get this right by appointing a Qualified person who displays the requisite Managerial Skills.
Recommended: How to become a professional Photographer
Skills of a Manager
The following are the skills which a person who is to be considered for the position of a Manager must exhibit:
a. Leadership Skills: A Manager is a Leader in an Organization and as such a Person in such a Position must possess some Leadership skills to control, motivate subordinates, collaborate effectively with subordinates, manage and work very well with other people so as to improve the performance of Workers in the Organization.
b. Effective Communication: A Manager must be able to possess the much needed Communication skills to be able to set goals and effectively communicate Organization goals and ideals to the Workers in the organization for optimum performance.
c. Technical Skills: A Manager should have specialized knowledge of workings in the organization and should have the ability to work with the available resources, tools, and employ techniques to ensure optimum performance and result.
d. Work Efficiency: A Manager must have the zeal and ability to work as well as the ability to deliver results at work. A Manager must be seen as a reliable, accountable and committed worker who boasts of the ability to deliver the desired organizational results.
e. Expertise: A Manager must possess Expertise in Knowledge and technical know-how of the Organization and it’s operations as it takes one really skilled at a thing to draw up goals which will foster the progress of the company, communicate such goals and techniques to achieve it to other workers as well as motivate them to achieve same.
Also see: Most profitable skills to learn in 2022
f. Decisiveness: A Manager must be decisive in nature and should possess the attributes of making precise and accurate decisions for the betterment of the Organization.
g. Time Management: Time is money and time cannot be recovered so therefore you must use your time properly if you are to achieve progress. Thus, a Prospective Manager should be able to allocate their time properly and manage it effectively to achieve the much desired result at the Organization.
h. Mental Skills: Possessing the necessary Mental Skills is an important consideration for a person aspiring to become the Manager of an Organization as a Manager must possess the ability to understand other people, learn, Adapt, Judge properly, and solve problems effectively. Anyone with these skills can effectively perform the role of a Manager in an Organization.
Recommended: Best times to read and understand effectively
Role of a Manager
The role of a Manager refers to the part which a Manager plays and contributes to an Organization by virtue of their position as a Manager. These roles of a Manager are:
1. Planning, Leading, and Controlling: The Primary role of a Manager in an Organization is to Plan for the organization by setting up strategic goals, communicating such goals to subordinates, and designing effective strategies to which they can achieve such goals. A Manager acts as a Leader by properly leading his team, maintaining a good working relationship with workers, and motivating workers to achieve the set out organizational goals.
Importantly, a Manager plays a controlling role by giving the workers tasks, coordinating them to perform such task, monitoring their performance and taking the necessary action to improve their performance and service delivery.
2. Setting goals: As passively stated above, Manager plays an important role of setting the goals which are in tandem with the objectives of the Organization. He also draws strategies towards achieving that goal.
Such strategies include: Setting the goal, drawing a blueprint for achieving the goal, communicating to your subordinates, working with the right people in your team, motivating them to meet up with the responsibilities and setting deadline for the performance of their responsibilities.
3. Overseeing Projects: Every Organization has objectives, targets and goals and as a Manager of an Organization you are to oversee the projects of your team, department or whole organization towards achieving these set goals of the Organization.
4. Organization: It is not enough to oversee projects or work towards a goal with a team under your surveillance, but you also need go organize your team properly and effectively train them towards achieving tasks, tracking their progress and providing the necessary resources and essential tools to which they can use to achieve their goals.
5. Keeping Report: A Manager plays an important role of keeping reports of activities, tasks and important functions in an organization and the performance of those executing these tasks.
6. Budgeting: Often times, a Manager is permitted to Kat down a budget for the amount of money which is to be invested in any project of the organization.
7. Decision Making Role: A Manager often plays an important Decision Making role of deciding what is best for the organization, tasks which are essential, individuals who are best equipped to handle such task, how resources are to be distributed amongst groups in the organization, bringing changes into the organization as well as deciding on the priorities of the Organization.
8. Information Role: A Manager is like the mouthpiece of an Organization. He uses formal and informal channels to extract information about the plans and actions of a fellow competitor in the market so as to prepare accordingly for the organization to remain relevant in the Market.
A Manager also disseminates relevant information to workers in the organization and gives the right information in form of reports to the heads of the organization. Importantly, a Manager plays a unique role of monitoring and knowing the latest happenings within and outside the organization. These are the basic roles which a Person in the position of a Manager shall perform, and with this role comes responsibilities. Let’s therefore consider the responsibilities of a Manager.
Recommended: How to become a good conversationalist
Responsibilities of a Manager
The responsibilities of a Manager refers to tasks which are entrusted to Managers to perform or the activities and obligations which are being assigned to the Manager of an organization.
Some of the responsibilities of a Manager are:
1. Accountability: A Manager is usually accountable to the Management of the organization. Such a Manager also makes his subordinates feel he or she is accountable by always delivering at work, giving reports and feedback, being reliable, treating them with respect, assisting them in performing tasks, encouraging them, rewarding them and behaving rightly so as to keep both their superior and subordinates happy.
2. Training Employees: It is the responsibility of a Manager to train and develop employees who have just been recruited into the organization or have been promoted as to their tasks, responsibilities and how to perform these required tasks in their new position.
3. Performing Administrative Tasks: A Manager is responsible for performing Administrative tasks, meaning the Tasks which relates to the functionality of the organization. These tasks varies depending on the type of organization, it’s goals and it’s requirements too.
4. Providing Directions: A Manager importantly provides for other employees and members of his team as to how to perform a task and he also motivates them as well as assess their progress and performance.
5. Enforcing Standards: A Manager enforces the standards of the organization by ensuring that co-workers meet up with the requisite standards of the organization. Such a Manager is also responsible for providing valuable feedback to the members of his teams and the shareholders in the organization.
These are primarily the Roles which a Manager plays and the responsibilities he shoulders in an Organization. I trust this Article was insightful? If yes, kindly share your thoughts in the comment section below.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ACMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.