How to choose a course that fits you: Choosing a course of study is one of the first major decisions one would have to make in life. For most people, it is a real big deal. When the time for choosing a course of study draws closer, you would see students running from one guidance and counseling unit office to their parents, spiritual directors, relations, teachers and friends in a bid not to make a wrong decision. It is a moment of enquiry, tension and for some students, confusion.
It is worse for students who have difficulties choosing whether to settle either for either sciences or arts, and by their sophomore year in the senior year they are still switching courses. When we talk about choosing a course of study, what is meat is the discipline of study intended to opt in for in the higher institution. It is easy and may be disastrous for students whom their parents prescribe a course of study for, whether or not it fits them.
A course of study would be said to fit you if without any undue pressure, you have a natural inclination and passion towards the course, and that no matter the technicalities in the course, your natural inclination and passion towards it makes it understandable for you. Simply put that a course fits you if it is a course of your dream.
Recommended: Best Universities to Study Medicine and Surgery in the World 2022
Below are how to choose a course that fits you.
How To Choose The Right Undergraduate Course For You
1. Research on Available Courses: A good numbers of students preparing for an entry into higher institution do not know of the existence of certain courses of study. There are varieties of courses out there offered in the higher institution. While some may be accredited and studied in some schools, some may not. So it is not enough to research only on courses offered by a particular institution.
It is best to research on available courses generally and then try to find out which institution offers which. In Nigeria for instance, students seems to be more blinded with courses like medicine and surgery, nursing science, medical laboratory science, etc. These are medical related courses known to some.
Some may be oblivious of the existence of courses like medical radiography and radiological sciences, medical rehabilitation, medical biochemistry, science laboratory technology, biomedical engineering, dental technology and so on.
It is through proper research that one gets to know of the available courses of study, and then followed by finding out which institution offers which. It is very necessary to know the institutions where courses you are considering are obtainable as well as the nature of the degree to be obtained from the institution.
One is that, not all courses are offered or accredited in all schools. Another is the nature of the degree to be obtained. For instance, a student applicant may have a change of heart if he realizes that science laboratory technology is not the same as medial laboratory science, and that studying science laboratory technology in a polytechnic would earn him a degree not being B.Sc.
In choosing a course that fits you, it is best to first conduct research on all available courses of study in the higher institutions as well as the institutions where they are obtainable.
Recommended: Best and most popular programmers in the world
2. Consider your Interest: After you have gotten informed on all available courses, the next is to consider your interest. If you are confused as to which amongst some courses fits you best, you can by elimination method identify the areas that interests you the most. No other person asides you knows your interest more than you do. From your previous and current levels of studies there are subject areas that interest you the most, or better still, you find them more relatable. You can necessary make deductions from there.
But particularly, your areas of interest go beyond the subjects you could flip through their pages comfortably. They are simply the fields that are enticing to you. You love and admire what is obtainable in the field; what they do, their practices, their contribution to the society, their nobility and so on.
You have a natural likeness for this particular field and you are comfortable with imagining yourself in their garb. This could mean that studying a course related to that field would fit you.
Recommended: Countries with the Most number of billionaires in the world
3. Passion: Passion is not too far from interest which has been discussed above, although there is more to it. Passion is an ardent and zealous inclination to something. Passion is more passionate and exudes more vigour of attraction.
In choosing a course that fits you, it is best to go for the course which you have the passion for. For when all things fails, it is only the passion that will sustain you. It is also the passion that will drive and sustain you towards putting in your best.
Moreover, people tend to do best in a course which they have passion for. Having passion for a particular course makes the field your natural place of calling. If you have passion for a course, it is a sign that the course fits you. Consider it!
Also see: How to become a successful engineer
4. Consider the Practicability: Passion can drive people crazy, but one must be realistic at all times in order to place the necessary balance. A lot of students choose to do sciences over arts simply because they want to fell “belonged“, although it is hard to admit such allegation.
In secondary schools, sciences was somewhat regarded as a measure of intelligence (although not outspoken). You would see one who has an outright natural inclination for arts but he opts in for sciences due to peer and other pressures.
The question is, is sciences doable for you? You would also see that some student’s candle light begins to shine the moment they opt in for their course of interest. Another illustration to this heading is that for instance, one may wish to study aeronautical engineering or aviation in Nigeria. The aviation schools’ tuition fees runs in millions and they usually have very limited intakes.
The question is, is it realistically practicable for a below average earner? The course does not fit you if you cannot afford it, if the chances are based against you and if it is not doable to you. You may find aviation enticing to you but it makes no meaning if you find basic geographical studies and physics extremely uneasy.
Recommended: Countries with the Best Doctors in the World 2022
5. Consider Available Opportunities: In looking out for a course that fits you, one must consider opportunities such as career employment, scholarship opportunities, international opportunities, lucrative nature, etc.
No doubt, some courses create better opportunities than others and this factor must not be neglected. For instance, courses like medicine and surgery, nursing science and other health science courses tend to have more opportunity for employment overseas.
6. Ask the people around you: Your Guardian and counselor, your parents, siblings, close relatives, close friends, teachers and so on. They can all be of help in choosing which course fits you best.
Recommended: Differences Between Religion And Morality
Generally speaking, a course would be said to fit you if to an extent the field aligns with your natural inclination. Evaluating the recommendations highlighted above will go a long way finding the right course for you.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ACMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.