Top 10 best Fashion School In South Africa: Fashion is an expression of self in the context of wears. It is the form, pattern, structure, style or model of thing. Therefore in the context of clothing and wears, fashion is the art of form, pattern, structure or model of wears.
Fashion designing demands a lot of hard work input, mental exercise, creativity and experience. In South Africa, there are notable schools which by policy and methodology, have distinguished themselves as to be considered a top fashion design school in South Africa.
Recommended: Best online shopping sites in the United States of America (USA)
Top 10 ten fashion and design school in South Africa
- Xela Fashion Studio and Design College
- The Design School Southern Africa
- Design Academy of Fashion
- Uberglam Fashion Design School
- Studio 05 Institute of Fashion
- North West School of Design
- Spero Villiot Elite Design Academy
- Elizabeth Galloway Academy of Fashion Design
Recommended: Highest paying Jobs in South Africa 2021
1. Xela Fashion Studio and Design College: Xela College of Design was founded and owned by Alexandra Asman in 2008. Alexandra Asman became a qualified fashion designer in 1987. The college is located at Souheuwel Central, Mbombela, South Africa.
Xela College of Design run a two year academic and practical program of which the curriculum includes: The process of conceptualizing Designs, Fashion Illustration, Textiles, Accessories and Styling, Garment Construction, Technical Drawing & Pattern Drafting and Manipulation.
Xela College of Design has full accreditation with Fibre Processing and Manufacturing Sector Education and Training Authority (FP&M SETA) and Culture, Art, Tourism, Hospitality and Sport Sector Education and Training Authority (CATHSETA), and is the only fashion college in Mbombela with full accreditation. CATHESETA is established under the Skills Development Act (No 97 of 1998) in 2001.
The college is known for offering quality class work and practical. The teachers have shown to be of high class, experienced and passionate about bringing out the best in the students. The college offers fulltime Diploma, Part Time, Short Courses, Online Courses, School Holiday and Corporate Society Responsibility (CSR)/ Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) programmes.
Xela College of Design has been acquired by the Association of Teachers in Technical Institutions (ATTI) now known as National Association of Teachers in Further and Higher Education in 2020.
2. FEDISA Fashion School: FEDISA stands for Federación de Estudios Independientes, S.A. This is another notable fashion school in South Africa. It is located at Cape Town, South Africa, and was established in 2005. FEDISA fashion school offers a B.A Degree in Fashion, B.A Honours: Fashion Degrees and Diploma in Fashion Merchandising, Marketing and Media.
FEDISA offers Diploma courses, online courses, Masters Courses, Doctorate courses, Certificate courses and Post Graduate Diploma courses, etc. The school offers other variety of courses aside fashion related. The school does not only focus on teaching the art of design but extends to teaching students business strategies in the field of fashion. The curriculum is structure as such: visual studies, clothing technology, business studies and lifestyle studies.
Under Visual Studies, they offer: conceptual design, story boarding, life and figure drawing, illustration, colour theory, visual merchandising, Computer Aided Design (CAD) and 2D & 3D design.
Under Clothing Technology, they offer – pattern technology, pattern grading, technical drawing, garment and textile technology and textile theory.
Under Business Studies, they offer – business practice, principles & functions and work integrated learning (internship).
Under Lifestyle Studies, they offer – fashion & design history, communications and social studies.
FEDISA has produced graduates who are notably doing wonders in the fashion field.
Also see: Steps to write a better descriptive essay
3. The Design School Southern Africa (DSSA): Design School Southern Africa was founded in 1990. It is a specialized and outstanding fashion design school in South Africa. The school is located at Ingersol Rd, Menlyn, Pretoria, South Africa.
Their curriculum focuses on graphics, fashion and interior designs. DSSA offers courses from other fields aside fashion related. DSSA also offer online courses, technical and practical skills. The system is yet structured in a flexible manner as to accommodate working class students.
Recommended: Advantages and Disadvantages of a rigid constitution
4. Design Academy of Fashion (DAF): Design Academy of Fashion is located at Woodstock, Western Cape, South Africa. The Academy also offer online programs. The quality of their programs reflects on the performance of their students in various parts of the country in the field of fashion.
DAF offers Diploma in fashion. The Academy also extend opportunities to secondary school students who are interested in fashion. They achieve this through a program known as Holiday Fashion School which takes place during secondary school holiday.
Design Academy of Fashion specializes on fashion design, garment production and textile for the Holiday Fashion School. The curriculum includes: fashion design illustration and visual communication, fashion design research, fashion trends, translating creative ideas into product, product testing and sampling, and idea presentation.
Design Academy of Fashion is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training, and is accredited by the Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC).
DAF is also registered with the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) of the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA).
5. Uberglam Fashion Design School: Uberglam Fashion Design School offers Bachelor of fashion, Diploma in fashion, and Higher Certificate in Fashion. The school is located at Fairland, Gauteng, Randburg South Africa. Uberglam offers full time and part time courses in sewing, pattern making, advanced fashion designs, accessories and fashion illustration.
Uberglam Fashion School was founded and owned by Lelanie Jaques in 2008. Uberglam school system is a flexible one.
Recommended: How to become a successful lawyer in south africa
6. Studio 05 Institute of Fashion: Studio 05 Institute of Fashion are theory and practical oriented. The institute specializes on clothing design and manufacturing industry, lingerie, fashion branding, fashion buying and merchandising, fashion styling, pattern construction, garment construction Computer Aided Design (CAD), and fashion illustration.
The institute was established in 2003, and is located in Parktown North, Johannes burg, Gauteng, South Africa.
The institute offer a three year intensive program and part time Saturday classes. The training offered is not limited to fashion designing but extends to developing the entrepreneurial skill of students.
7. North West School of Design (NWSD): North West School of Designing is a private design institution located at Oudorp, Klerksdorp, South Africa. The school was founded by Marene Oosthuizen, an award winning fashion entrepreneur worldwide.
North West School of Design offers a three year Diploma and part time courses. The school specializes on fashion design, sewing, fashion journalism, fashion marketing, fashion buying, platinum fashion festival, fashion communication. They also offer courses on photography.
Also see: Salary of lawyers in South africa in 2021
8. Spero Villioti Elite Design Academy: Spero Design Academy was founded by Spero Villioti. The Academy has an international affiliation with Parsons New York and London College of Fashion.
They offer Diploma in fashion, Diploma in fashion design, and Bachelor of fashion. The Academy is accredited with the Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC) of the Council of Higher Education (CHE). The courses offered includes Beginners Garment Construction, Advanced Garment Construction, Beginners’ Pattern Engineering, Advanced Pattern Engineering, Fashion Design and Styling.
9. INSCAPE: INSCAPE has its campuses located at Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg and Pretoria. They offer one year program for higher certificate in fashion and a three year program on Bachelor of Design in Fashion. They also run short courses such as introduction to fashion and fashion planning.
10. Elizabeth Galloway Academy of Fashion: Elizabeth Galloway Academy of Fashion is another notable fashion design school. The Academy is located at Stellenbosch, South Africa. They offer Degree in Diploma and Advanced Diploma in Fashion Design. The Academy also offer part time course in fashion design and adult learner program.
Recommended: How to write a history essay
The Academy is notable for equipping students with practical, creative, commercial and practical skills, high tech machineries, equipment, library and IT infrastructure. Students have access to subscription websites such as the Worth Global Style Network (WGSN) which offers an online fashion trend analysis and research. The Academy was founded by Elizabeth Galloway.
Elizabeth Galloway Academy is accredited by the department of Higher Education and Training (DHET), Council on Higher Education (CHE) and South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ACMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.