Why Most Programmers are Single: Most programmers are single, according to popular belief. They spend all of their time typing away in a dark room with a black hoodie pulled over their heads, according to the tale. Because of their age, gender, and workload, the majority of programmers are single. 72% of programmers are under the age of 35, and 91% of programmers are men. Younger males are more likely to be single, with 39% of them being without a spouse. Plus, a programmer’s workload can make it difficult to find a companion.
When you look at the industry, the idea of programmers as being solitary loners doesn’t hold up. Many programmers are single, but it does not mean they are single solely because of their profession. There are other considerations. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at why programmers are single.
Recommended: Easiest Programming Languages to Learn and Master
10 Reasons Why Most Programmers Remain Single
1. Introverted or socially awkward: The ISTJ personality type is the most common among programmers. This indicates that they are more introverted, enjoy the present and facts, are logical thinkers, and prefer things to be in order. They are, on average, less emotional than other people and have difficulty communicating their feelings.
If you have the improper personality type, traits like this can be difficult to live with. But, understandably, programmers won’t be able to find a mate if they aren’t communicating with the correct individuals. It takes a long time to get to know each other and make the other person feel like at the beginning.
2. Workload: A programmer’s workload varies greatly depending on the type of firm for which they work. Small businesses and the gaming industry are known for pushing their developers to their limits. While most developers claim to work slightly over 40 hours each week, the truth might be far more. Working days might continue late into the night when deadlines are approaching or you have demanding customers, especially if you are doing vital work.
The stereotype of the overworked developer has some truth to it. Working hard and putting in extra hours hurts your romantic life. When you’re in the office until 8 p.m. most evenings, it’s difficult to get out and meet people. A heavy task might also make you feel worried and make you less inclined to socialize. Stress is a major depressant that can make you drowsy. Overworked and anxious programmers are less likely to seek out a relationship, which makes it logical.
Also see: Best Programmers in the World 2022
3. Afraid of getting hurt: Every relationship comes with the risk of hurting at some point. However, this isn’t true in every relationship. Some relationships have also ended happily. However, if you want your relationship to work out, you must give it a chance. And there are often none, but you must keep trying. However, programmers are always wary of the nonsense that occurs in today’s interactions.
As a result, the maxim of no pain, no gain cannot be applied, and they refuse to put out much effort since they are already certain that their relationship will fail.
4. Don’t like to be disturbed: The life of a programmer is difficult and requires far too much concentration. However, the majority of programmers are unable to be interrupted at any time. The constant ping irritates them greatly. They prefer to sit alone and work. New ideas are born when you sit alone and chat to yourself.
They dislike conversing with others for long periods, which has an impact on the relationship. They always prefer to be alone and away from everyone, which reduces their chances of becoming engaged.
5. Debugging is easier than approaching someone: Passionate programmers are addicted to coding and programming on their computers. Their computer follows their instructions to the letter. When approaching women, however, there are two responses.
They would either accept or reject the proposition. Being an introverted coder already makes approaching people difficult. And sometimes the other person’s response isn’t always positive. So, even if they like someone, they choose not to attempt (based on my own experience).
6. Higher expectation: Programmers are smart, and they generally have greater expectations, making it more difficult to find a fit. Female programmers are more likely to experience this. Some programmers may not want their partner to be a programmer since they understand how frustrating programming can be.
On the other hand, some people would rather have a programmer as a spouse who makes their life easier. As a result, matching their attention takes a long time in this circle of anticipation.
7. Learning things is more important: They prefer to save time by learning new technology. That is their line of work. If you are not always learning and growing your expertise, you can easily find yourself out of a job. It takes time and effort to learn.
So, do you expect they would be more excited about going to the nightclub to find their life partner or staying next to their favorite computer researching for the area they want to master to help them advance in their field?
8. Self-involved: They only remember work-related responsibilities and ignore others. This hurts their connection. These individuals routinely skip getting a haircut and may go days without showering. Programmers don’t bother to take a bath or follow basic personal grooming rules before having a fling. They may smell like shit or have that “homeless” odor when you get close to them. It was initially unpleasant.
There are also several types of programmers. They appreciate staying in shape and coming to the gym as much as possible. So, between the gym, self-care, and coding, finding time to get to know a girl is always challenging.
Recommended: How to Ask a Girl to Be Your Girlfriend
9. Different interest: Because programmers are obsessed with code, they almost always talk about code, and their dating partners may not be interested in discussing it. Programmers spend hours upon hours at their computers and are uninterested in anything else.
It’s difficult for them to separate themselves and conduct “regular” things. Coding gives them a lot of dopamine and serotonin, so sex isn’t that important to them. They’d rather be in front of their computers. That is where they receive their true thrills.
10. Bad hygiene: Although some programmers are famously dirty, this is not true of all programmers. Some people I know have no desire to get in shape or improve their health. Individuals are likely to acquire teeth disorders and a variety of health difficulties as a result of sitting too long and not taking good care of their health. The majority of their time is spent sitting. They don’t get enough exercise and get major health problems as a result. This is going to put females off.
Some of them do not wash their garments regularly. This is not appealing. To handle being around him, the girlfriend is eventually obliged to wash his clothing for him. They don’t bother to dress appropriately for a date. On a date, they wear filthy jeans, stinky shirts, filthy undergarments, and filthy socks, which is the maximum level of filthiness. It’s also humiliating to be seen with them in public.
Recommended: How to Speak in Public Without fear or anxiety
This article does not apply to all programmers. For some of them, this is correct. Many programmers are happily married or dating their soulmates. Even as solitary souls like the moon, some of them have a good time. They maintain a healthy work-life balance. The reasons why some programmers are typically single are discussed in this article. To make it clear, the amount for a single programmer is far too high.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ACMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.