10 Most Popular Programming Languages: The demand for programming skills seems to grow by the minute and it has become a very lucrative venture flowing from the last decade. Developers and programmers are also among the highest paid earners, with a whopping 13-17% increase in income amassed. For this reason alone, a lot of people are rushing into the coding world to get established and earn some bucks for themselves.
With the plethora of programming languages in existence, it is often difficult to make a decision of where to start. This is why a newbie in the coding world needs to know what language are most popular now, or that would be in demand in the nearest future. In our list below, we handpick the best from the lot and put it up for your perusal, and we give reasons why they are relevant in these times in the coding world.
Recommended: Advantages and Disadvantages of the Internet
10 Most popular and fastest growing choices programming languages
2. HTML: HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language. It is used for web development and maintenance. It is actually one of the most important languages to learn if you want to make a headway in the programming world.
It is used for formatting information that appears on a website; it defines a website in ordinary text and merely forms its textual structure. The definitive parts of the website’s content such as links, headings and subheadings and paragraphs all fall under the scope of HTML.
Based on the fact that it quite important in the making of web structures and other programmes, HTML also tops the list as one of the most in-demand languages. Concurrently, it also tops Stack Overflow’s list of widely used programming languages.
3. SOLIDITY: Solidity doesn’t make it up in the list because it is one of the easily accessible, easy to learn languages, or because it pertinent to the structure of every web development project. It amkes it here because it is a groundbreaking and innovative language which has been found to specifically cater to the language needs of programmers navigating the Blockchain industry.
This is new and fresh grounds as well as it represents a major area which is the future of technology in fusion with Blockchain industry. Specialists in this field would be sought after in no distant time.
Many developers have a thing or two to say about Solidity, and it includes a preference for the language especially whe writing Cryptocurrency. In addition, specialists in the field would be in higher demand that they are today.
4. PYTHON: Python is a programming language that is on every ends all encompassing. It allows for the use of distinct styles and functions in creating programe, encouraging language flexibility. This makes it easy to use for both newbies and experience programmers alike.
Python is popular for its multipurpose nature as well as the fact that it has been used to develop many high-end programmes (such as YouTube) which we now use all over the world. It comes highly recommendable as it quite easy to learn. This is because unlike some other language with only allows you to correct errors in coding after you’ve created them, Python allows a ‘correct as you create feature’. It also has a large catalogue of tasks and commands which gives programmers a wide range of options to choose from. It is also used in developing back ends as well as in data science. It is a highly marketable language.
5. GO: Perhaps, what makes Go particularly popular among programmers is its simplicity. A novice can even begin coding with Go and become a pro in a matter of days. It has an efficient system which supports memory management due to its integrated structure which works as a garbage collector.
This, along with the fact that the development of a newer model of the language is on the ranks is a magnet for code lovers. Developers have long began specialising on this one as it has many potentials and favourable features.
6. RUST: Working with ro learning Rust language always feels like using jg multiple languages at a time. This is because, much like C++, it is multi-dimensional and provides users or developers with quite a number of application options to choose from.
A Stack Overflow survey also revealed that it is much loved in the coding community. However, they are not much Rust developers because a lot of programmers are unaware of the many features Rust has. It allows for the use of different styles of programming, as well as enable quicker compilation while coding. It is used to create operating systems and web browsers.
Recommended: List of programming languages and their uses.
7. C#: Brought to front by Microsoft in 2002, C# is a much welcome modification to the C++ coding language and is one of the languages with features focused on object orientation.
It is mostly used to develop all types of applications, including desktop, mobile and web apps, as well as games. It is also a highly sought after skill in the coding world, and it is particularly always in-demand because of its ever useful nature. It allows for the development of more and more games and applications, especially on the web and desktop platforms. In addition, it is in many cases easier to learn than some of the newer, upcoming languages which do not have as much documentation yet.
8. SQL: Structured Query Language, alo know as SQL works with databases. It helps coders to effectively manage and manipulate these database systems. It is used to locate, update and retrieve data or records in a database system
However, it should be noted that SQL doesn’t really work with larger database systems, but only smaller ones, where it is highly efficient.
Typescript was so impressive that it prompted Google to build on it rather than going on to develop theirs.
10. CSS: Cascading Style Sheets or CSS has functions that can be likened to that of HTML. However, while HTML is focused on web text and structure, CSS is focused on the arrangement of web elements, and things such as colour, size and position of these elements. Together, they both work on the basic structure of the site, as well as its appearance. Therefore, the functions of CSS can be categorised under web design and development.
It is time-saving in the sense that its functionality also trickles down to sub-elements. This means that once you work on a parent element, the features trickle down or cascade down to the sub-elements, so that one doesn’t have to code all over again for these ones.
CSS is not a complex language, and so it is easy to learn, master and use.
New programming languages are cropping up everyday, and some of them with even more potentials than their predecessors. However, the singular point to note in the evolution of these languages is that some of them become classics, with functions that never become obsolete, while others needs upgrades to keep up with coding trends. Then there are others developed to have specific functions which require which one can master and become a specialised developer of it.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ChMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.