Worst Jobs For Introverts: It is very ordinary nowadays to hear people categorize themselves as introverts, extroverts and ambiverts. It goes to show that people have become aware of these personality types in the field of psychology which are capable of influencing their dispositions and attitudes to life. This also shows that people have come to observe that there are individual differences.
This extends to way of thinking (perception), level of tolerance, preferences, and so on. These personality psychology sums up the social orientation of individuals in the society and their likely strengths and weaknesses. In this discourse, our focus is on worst jobs for introverts. And in arriving at this, it would be necessary to briefly discuss the concept of introversion.
Introversion entails a personality orientation towards the self and mental abstraction. An introverted person is one who is considered to be more thoughtful than social. An introvert is more inwardly directed than outwardly. An introvert prefers to be in a non-social environment or situation as opposed to social.
Recommended: How To Become A High-value Man
Introversion is characterized by the following specific exhibitions:
a. Solitude: An introvert would prefer more of solitude situations than otherwise. Solitude entails the state of being alone Of course, no man is an island. So, that is not to say that they do not engage in lively activities or relate with people. Certainly, the degree at which they engage is the factor here, and it is relatively lesser as compared to its counterparts who derive comfort in extreme engagements. Introverts derive their strength from such solitude moments, and they tend to be more productive in such situations.
b. Introverts are thoughtful: Thoughtfulness can be considered a virtue, for it is an admirable attribute. Thoughtfulness entails having careful consideration. It extends to showing kindness and selflessness. That is not to say that all introverts are kind. That would be fallacious. It should be better put that they have the tendency to carefully evaluate or process situations in their mind before arriving at any response. So, it would be correct to conclude that introverts are generally meticulous. They also have the ability to pay attention to details.
c. Little or no social interaction: Introverts do not derive their strength from social interaction. It follows that what doesn’t make them mars them. Thus, social interactions drain their strength. So, they tend to avoid such as much as they can. This does not entail that they do not enjoy social activities. They best enjoy social interactions which the selected few they are settled with.
They do not find noisy and crowded environments friendly and maybe, safe. Even after they have been conditioned to spend time in such social activities and interactions, they usually tend to regain their strength from their solitude moments.
d. Selective: Introverts are selective generally. This their selective nature extends to everything they do, such as the people they interact with, the friends they make, the places they visit, and even the jobs they look out for. This explains why there are certain jobs that are not very comfortable with introverts.
Recommended: Hardest Musical instruments to learn and play
WHAT JOBS ARE WORST FOR INTROVERTS?
From the discussion above, it is clear that introverts are inwardly directed. They usually would avoid every activity that would require them to interact with people, especially people that they are not comfortable with. Certain jobs involve strengthening your network, and to strengthen one’s network, communication and other interactions must be there. These are not what introverts want. This is not to say that they cannot do such jobs. It simply posits that such jobs are worst for them because of the circumstances surrounding their performance.
Worst Jobs for Introverts:
1. Sales representative: A sales representative is a sales assistant that represent a company outside the place of business.
This requires such employee to not just do his tasks but to do it outside his place of business. This is a lot for an introvert. The nature of the job pushes him away from his home office or business environment and put him in a position where he would have to be directly in charge of interacting with people of which are mostly strangers.
Recommended: Meaning & Differences Between Deed and Agreement
2. Compere: A compere is a master of ceremonies. A master of ceremonies is put and tested on the spot. He earns a living by being with the crowd, addressing and controlling them. This could be in a television network or physical events.
A compere basically sees to the anchoring of various ceremonies. Imagine an introvert having this as a job. He would have little or no time to spend in his solitude environment. Where will his strength come from?
3. Real Estate Broker: Being a real estate broker involves initiating real estate contracts which people who are mostly strangers. The job exposes you to interacting with many people. The more interactions you have and maintain with people, the more prospects you get.
4. Receptionist: The job of a receptionist requires the person to be a receptionist in the strictest sense of it, and at all times. It does not excuse the person to be his or her real self. An introverted receptionist is therefore not expected or allowed to have mood swings when he or she gets drained from social interactions which are in fact the nature of the job.
He is expected to talk to people with the most enticing outlook, including strangers. Recall that introverts need to accept people first before they can relate with them, but working as a receptionist does not put into consideration this personality peculiarity.
5. News Reporter: An introvert cannot imagine the thought of being seen by unlimited number of people round the country via a television. And he is expected to perform his or her job right before the entire population. This is a lot for somebody whom by his personality type does not enjoy being put out to the crowd.
Recommended: Worst Universities in Kenya 2024
6. Marketer: Companies grow through marketing. Marketing is one of the vital ways by which companies market their products and services. Man power is well needed for executing marketing. Marketing involves moving from place to place in search of prospective customers. It can be done through online or physical means, or both. But then, the physical marketing strategy remains very efficacious and always used by companies.
It involves moving around and talking to people in order to gain prospects, and there is usually a target for the employees who are designated as marketers. They will have to travel far and wide talking to people, including strangers, about the company’s products and services. This is not a very good one for introverts.
7. Fundraiser: Fundraising is an event undertaken to get money via voluntary contributions of people in respect of a given activity. People can be employed as fundraisers in various establishments such as sports, non-governmental organisations, financial institutions, religious institutions, government institutions, health and research institutions, and so on.
The nature of the job is certainly putting an introvert on a sharp edge.
Recommended: Most Expensive Secondary Schools In Nigeria
The above discussed is not to say that introverts cannot do the jobs. In fact, they will adapt with time but that would not still make it a comfortable job for them. One thing that is peculiar about the jobs listed above is that they are such that do not give the employees a fitted environment. Thus, they are always dealing with new people, and since they are not fitted on a specific environment or with specific people, there is never an opportunity to get comfortable with them.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka, ACMC, is a lawyer and a certified mediator/conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a developer with knowledge in various programming languages. Samuel is determined to leverage his skills in technology, SEO, and legal practice to revolutionize the legal profession worldwide by creating web and mobile applications that simplify legal research. Sam is also passionate about educating and providing valuable information to people.