How to Pass Post UTME Examination: Post UTME examination is one of the prerequisite examinations for students that wants to gain admission into any of the tertiary institutions in Nigeria. The truth is that, not every school in Nigeria conduct the examination, but almost all the federal and state institutions in Nigeria conduct it before offering admission to aspirants.
It is pertinent to note that passing Post UTME examination is a must for gaining admission into any institution in Nigeria today. It is for this reason that I actually wrote this comprehensive article. This article will help you to prepare for post UTME examination and pass it with an excellent score. If you have been searching the internet for a guide on how to pass Post UTME screening or examination of any university, i enjoin you to read this article painstakingly.
Meanwhile, before i discuss the tips to pass post UTME examination, i would like to explain what post UTME examination is all about. Also, you can watch the YouTube video below for more tip on how to pass Post UTME.
- UNN post UTME form for 2023: See how to apply
- Less competitive universities in Nigeria that gives admission easily
Facts about Post UTME Examinations in Nigeria
From the word “POST” which means “After“, one can say that Post UTME is an examination conducted after JAMB UTME examination or screening. The examination is usually conducted by universities in Nigeria after JAMB UTME examination in order to admit the best out of the thousands of students that apply for admission through JAMB every year.
Nowadays, institutions in Nigeria use post UTME examination as the key criteria for admitting students. For instance, in some universities, if you pass very well in JAMB examination; but fail to pass very well in post UTME Examination, you will not gain not admission. Even if you managed to be offered admission, it may not be into your choice of course. From this table of facts, it is quite apparent that passing post UTME examinations is very essential to gain admission into any Nigerian universities.
14 Tips On How to Prepare And Pass Your Post UTME Examination 2023/2024
Below are tips to help you prepare and pass post UTME examination:
- Cultivate A Winning Mindset:
- Be Objective
- Start reading on time
- Get the recommended textbooks for post UTME examination
- Create a reading timetable
- Study likd never before
- Go through past post UTME questions
- Practice with online post UTME apps/software
- Study and memories previous JAMB questions
- Develop a time saving strategy
- Always make sure you understand any question you come across
- Stay informed on your school Post UTME news
- Have Good O/LEVEL Results
- Ask God for help
This is just a list of the tips you need to pass 2023/2024 Post UTME screening. I enjoin you to continue reading this article, as I will quickly explain all the points I raised above. Trust me, if you substantially follow the tips contained in this article, you will pass the impending post UTME examination excellently well.
1. Cultivate A Winning Mindset: Cultivating a winning mindset is essential for passing your post-UTME test because it prepares students to approach the exam with a positive and proactive perspective. Individuals with a winning attitude trust in themselves and their talents, and they remain focused and motivated throughout the exam preparation process.
Individuals with a winning attitude are more ready to deal with the problems and disappointments that may happen during exam preparation, and are more likely to continue and achieve. Furthermore, a winning attitude may assist individuals in developing good study habits, time management skills, and maintaining a healthy work-life balance, all of which are necessary for academic achievement.
Recommended: IPhone Or Samsung, Which Is Better
2. Be Objective: Being objective is essential for passing your post-UTME test since it helps people to approach the exam with a clear and unbiased perspective. Individuals may use objective thinking to objectively evaluate their knowledge and abilities, identify their strengths and limitations, and build a realistic test preparation strategy.
Individuals who have an objective perspective are less likely to be persuaded by emotions or external stimuli, and they are more likely to make sensible judgments about how to invest their time and energy during the exam preparation process. This can assist individuals in identifying and focusing on areas in which they need to improve, as well as developing successful study techniques to address these areas. Overall, being objective is vital for academic achievement, especially test accomplishment.
3. Start reading on time
One of the mistakes you don’t want to make this year, is to start reading for post UTME screening examination when it is already late. The truth is that; you will not cover enough ground if you do so. Post UTME screening examination is not very easy, so don’t think it is just a trivial examination.
In fact, post UTME screening examination in some universities are more difficult than JAMB examination itself. That is why you must start reading on time.
Immediately you are done with your JAMB examination, start reading for post UTME screening examination. Do not relax till it is just one month to the examination. If you do that, then you are putting your chance of success at risk.
Also read: UNILAG Admission requirements for 2022 /2023
4. Get the recommended textbooks for post UTME examination: Getting the right study materials is very essential to pass Post UTME examinations in 2020/2021. Yes, this might be difficult but it is prerequisite to pass Post UTME examinations because of the uncertainty in the way post UTME examinations are conducted in Nigeria.
Sometimes, schools don’t just pick questions from JAMB past questions. They ask questions about the current affairs of Nigeria. In this cases, it will be very difficult for someone who read only JAMB past questions to pass. Thus, you have to ask about the recommend textbooks for post UTME in your dream school and read them properly.
Doing this will go a long way to help you perform excellently in post UTME examination. So, it right to say that getting the right materials for post UTME examination, is key to success in the examination.
To get the right study materials, you can ask from aspirants who have written the exam before you. Read textbooks that are recommended by the university you applied for admission.
5. Create a reading timetable: Yes! the next step is to create a timetable. A timetable will help you cover up all you are supposed to read before you exam. It will give you the opportunity to maximise your time effectively, and to prepare aptly for your post UTME examination.
More often than not, students fail to do this on the justification that they can’t strictly follow their timetable. Well, it is important to know that, you must not follow it strictly. Just make sure you do your best to conform to it.
While creating your timetable, make sure you give more time to difficult subjects. Of course, you know those subjects that usually give you trouble. Read them more often than any other subject. This will also help you to prepare and pass 2020 Post UTME screening examination.
6. Study like never before: Students usually think that once they have written JAMB examination and passed with good grades, they have done the most important thing that is needed to gain admission in Nigeria. But this is not actually true.
Suffice to say that Post UTME examinations in some Nigerian universities, holds more water than JAMB UTME examination. Thus, it is very wrong to take Post UTME examination Trivial if you want to gain admission in 2020.
To pass Post UTME examination you have to study relentlessly and smartly too. Reading is the ultimate key to pass any examination in Nigeria and that is what you must do.
It is the only way to pass Post UTME examination. If do not read, just be prepared to fail because, there is absolutely no way to cheat in post UTME examinations.
7. Go through past Post UTME questions: Another prerequisite tip to help you pass 2020/2021 Post UTME examinations is to study previous questions that have been asked by the university in previous years.
Some universities in Nigeria often repeat their Post UTME exam questions. An example is the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (Also called UNN). Thus, studying past Post UTME questions of the university you aspire to gain admission into, is very essential to pass post UTME examination in 2020.
Aside from the fact that Post UTME past questions are likely to appear again in 2020/2021 screening, they also inculcate in you, how the university ask her questions.
Studying past Post UTME questions is prerequisite to pass Post UTME examination and that is just the truth of the matter. This tip will help you a lot. You can get past post UTME examinations questions from either the university, or from aspirants who have written the examination before you.
Alternatively, if you want me to get the past post UTME examination of your school, kindly drop a message in the comment box or contact me from the author box below this article.
8. Practice with online post UTME apps/software: In my article on the secrets to pass JAMB examination, I made a list of some prerequisite material a student will need to pass JAMB examination. Among the list is JAMB CBT app/software.
In the same vain, one of the materials you will need to pass post UTME examination is Post UTME app/software. Well, you need not to bother yourself about how to get the app/software because, i also have an article which enumerates the best free Post UTME apps/software here.
Practicing with online Post UTME apps/software will help you to familiarize yourself with the way post UTME questions are asked. It will also help you to reduce fear and tension during your post UTME examination.
This is basically why i recommend all my students to Practice with online Post UTME apps/software. No doubt, it is one of the tentative steps you must follow to prepare and pass post UTME examination this year.
9. Study and memories previous JAMB questions: This might sound throw you aback but it is just the truth. JAMB past questions are also very important to pass Post UTME screening examination these days. Some universities go more than just repeating their own past questions.
How to pass post UTME
They pick questions that have been asked in previous JAMB UTME examination. I have research about this and have found out that it is really a great tip to help aspirants pass Post UTME examination.
When i wrote UNN post UTME examination in 2017, 96% of the questions i answered in the examination hall was picked from JAMB past questions.
In fact, the reason why i was able to score upto 314 in that examination was because, i read my JAMB past questions and answers very well. Trust me; you can fail post UTME examination in some schools if you study your JAMB past questions and answers properly.
10. Develop a time saving strategy: Due to the large number of applications received by tertiary institutions in Nigeria each year and the limited admission space available, most universities have started using a few strategy to eliminate candidates.
One of such strategies is time constraint. They realize that if all candidates writing post UTME examination are given ample time, chances are that they will all score above 70%, and that will mean more qualified candidates than they can take.
In order to avoid that, they give candidates so much to do within little time. This is why you need to develop your own time saving strategy. In doing that, the following tips might help:
a) Remember that proficiency is developed through practice. The more you study/practice past and likely questions, the more you get used to the questions and faster you become in answering them. So, if you must beat time during the exam, quality preparation is not a suggestion; it’s necessary.
b) Using your past questions, practice solving 60 questions in 60 minutes. That will help you to rate yourself and also to develop a very good time saving strategy for the real exam.
c) One of the best ways to save time while increasing your chances of getting very high is starting with your favorite and easiest subject. When you are done with that, combine with your next easier subject. Continue that way till you are through with all the papers and you will be amazed at how much time you were able to save.
11. Always make sure you understand any question you come across: Believe it or not, Post UTME examination questions are much more confusing than any other exam you can think of. This is why you should develop your understanding skill.
Make sure that while reading your past questions and materials, you are able to understand them. Do not just read and cram them. Try to decipher where the questions are coming from and learn that particular topic very well.
This is very important, especially to aspirants who has not writing post UTME examination before. If you do this, you are making your chances of success in the impending post UTME examination consolidated.
Recommended: Most Beautiful Countries In Europe
12. Stay informed on your school Post UTME news: Keeping track of your school account might help you avoid academic penalties such as being prevented from taking examinations or other forms of disciplinary action. Staying updated about your school’s post-UTME tests will assist lessen exam stress and anxiety. When you know what to anticipate, you may feel more confident and prepared for the exam, which can help you do better.
13. Have Good O/LEVEL Results: In Nigeria, a university entrance test is not the only need for admission; you must also have an O’level certificate. The usual level remains a six-credit pass in all essential disciplines (including English and Mathematics). As a result, you must guarantee that you meet that condition before taking your university admission exam.
In reality, many people have made the error of having inadequate O’level marks, and even if they scored well in their post UTME, they still missed out on the opportunity to acquire admission (which is the ultimate purpose of completing the post UTME test in the first place).
Recommended: Richest Musicians In Nigeria And Their Networth
14. Ask God for help: Lastly, to prepare and pass 2022/2023 post UTME examination with excellent score, you must seek God’s help. The truth is that you can’t pass without a spiritual being to guide you through. Sometimes, unprecedented things will happen to jeopardise your success in the examination, and if you don’t have a God by your side, then you are bound to fail the examination.
By now, you must have heard of instances where aspirants fail CBT examinations just because of a problem in the computer.
It is not that they didn’t read hard or prepare for the examination. It is just because they didn’t have God by their side. So, to pass the impending post UTME examination, you need to pray to God to put you through.
- How to prepare and pass WAEC examination excellently well
- Did you misplaced your WAEC certificate? See how to get it back HERE!!!
Bonus Tips To Pass Post UTME Screening
It is also good that you join extra lessons and group studying if you have enough time to do that. Anyway, I have heard students say that they don’t like study groups. Evidently, some students don’t learn through learning group. But if you can learn that way, then you shouldn’t hesitate to join one.
In conclusion, i must let you know that passing post UTME examination is not very easy. But that notwithstanding, I believe that the tips highlighted in this article will go a long way to fortify you for the impending post UTME examination. All i want you to do now, is to follow the steps above. Trust me; you will pass excellently well. Hope this article was helpful? Meanwhile, if you have any question or contribution concerning this topic, do well to ask me using the comment section. I will be glad to hear from you!
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ACMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.