Richest Province In South Africa 2022: South Africa is one of the most prominent Countries in Africa. Situated in the southernmost part of the continent, it has about 60 million people as it’s population and prides itself as one of the few Countries yet to experience coup d’etat. It’s ability to resolve most of it national crisis has gone a long way in promoting it’s image in the international community. It has one of the largest wide life habitat and home for tourism and culture. South Africa is known to have about 80% of it population as Black South Africans while the other remaining population comprises of Africa’s largest communities of European, Asian and multiracial (Coloured South Africans).
These accounts for its diversity in culture and heritage. With numerous languages spoken in the country, it is well categorized as a multiethnic society with a wide variety of cultures, and religious belief and worshipers. This peculiarity was aptly captured under the South African constitution whereby it recognized 11 official National languages.
South Africa is known to have about nine provinces and has been recorded as one of the most beautiful Countries in Africa with lots of natural habitation for both humans and wildlife. It is also a very busy country with lots of economic opportunities for both citizens and foreigners alike. It is a very flourishing country in terms of infrastructural development and commercial activities.
Recommended: Most corrupt countries in Africa and why
Top 9 Richest Provinces In South Africa By GDP 2022
1. GAUTENG: The Gauteng province most times referred to as the ‘eGoli’ and ‘City of Gold’ is the richest province in South Africa. It is no news how gold was discovered in the province around 1886. This skyrocketed the economic status of the province from that time. With lots of big multinational corporations establishing their headquarter there to the seemingly advancement of commercial activities in the area.
It has been able to retain the position ever since as a commercial hub being one of the major exporter of over 40 percent of the world gold production. It is one of the province that contribute heavily to the GDP of the country. It is one of the most richest, infact, the richest province in South Africa operating a seperate GDP of about 18,259 US Dollars.
Also see: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Privatization
2. WESTERN CAPE: Western Cape is the hub of tourism. It is one of the busiest province in South Africa. It has been listed as one of the most beautiful and richest province in South African. It has a lot of tourist sites, great nightlife and exquisite hotels. It is one of the best places to visit and have a great experience and adventure.
It is one of the province operating a high GDP and contributing to the economic growth of the country. Apart from being a hub of tourist attractions with a number of visitors coming in annually, it also has lots of establishment. Western Capeis recorded to have a GDP of over 15,673 US Dollars.
Also see: Highest Paying Jobs in South Africa 2022
3. NORTH WEST: The province is also known as the ‘platinum province’ because of its many platinum mines. The North West remains one of the most richest and industrialized province in the country and accounts for about 94% of the country’s platinum. North West is also recorded as a major producer of platinum, producing more platinum than any single area globally.
North west is also home to Sun City Resort, one of the most amazing landscapes and a home of relaxation. It is one of the most visited resorts in the country with amazing sceneries to appeal to the onlookers. It is peaceful and quite. It is part of the tourist attraction contributing to the Economic Growth of the province. With a GDP of about 12, 829 US Dollars per capita, it ranks as one of the richest province in South Africa.
4. MPUMALANGA: The province of Mpumalanga is not as large as other province but certainly not the poorest province either. It is one of the richest province in South Africa owing to the many economic establishments set up in the area.
It is known as the place of sunrise and home of tourists. It has some of the best National Park and other recreational parks and event centers that generate and contribute to bother the National GDP and the GDP of the province. It has a GDP per capita up to the tune of about 12, 585 US Dollars making it one of the richest province even though it is the smallest province in South Africa.
Also see: Highest Paying law firms in Nigeria
5. FREE STATE: The Free State has shown to be the commercial hub for skilled artist and artistry. Apart from being a base and the Judicial capital, it has a very robust and functional economy that is targeted at growing a more productive economic system.
The province is the base of real culture and art. The level of artistic engagement found in the area as well as the festivals of art and culture. It also has a diversified interest in agriculture with maximum participation producing more economic results. It has a GDP of about 12, 584 US Dollars per capita and has been instrumental to the growth of the Country’s overall GDP.
6. NORTHERN CAPE: The Northern Cape remains the country’s biggest province but has a relatively low population. It is quite a home for enterprise and commercial activities bringing the province to limelight as one of the richest province in the country.
Although it is a relatively new province having been carved out in 1994 from the West and Eastern provinces. It has a GDP of about 11, 902 US Dollars which is is quite plausible for a young province with low human population. It has been a major contributor to the National GDP as well.
Also see: Richest States In The US By Income 2022
7. KWAZULU-NATAL: The coastal region and province of KwaZulu-Natal is one of the most beautiful and warmth inducing province in the country and has been considered as one of the richest province in South Africa. It opens its doors to tourists and lovers of nature.
Amongst many other diversified strategic enterprises boosting it’s economy, the province has some of the best tourist centers such as the King Shaka International Airport, Umhlanga and Ballito avails onlookers and tourists a wonderful experience to relax while glancing through beautiful sceneries. With a GD P of about 10, 406 US Dollars and ranks as one of the richest provinces in South Africa.
8. LIMPOPO: Limpopo is known for its openness and beauty. Covered in the natural embellishments of wildlife and has fast become a haven for both wildlife and tourists. The province has been able to harness it resources and infrastructures across the province, harnessing the potential that lies in other sectors other than depending on a streamlined source of income.
The province is known to have some of the best tourist attraction centers which has been a boost to the economic trajectory of the province and the country at large. It has a commendable GDP of about 8,983 US Dollars, slightly above that of Eastern Cape. It is one of the richest provinces in South Africa.
Recommended: Richest Provinces In Canada By GDP 2022
9. EASTERN CAPE: With the Eastern Cape contributing less than 8% to the total national GDP it ranks lower on the list as one of the richest province in South Africa. This is because it is riddled with a poverty that is clearly below the average level and it’s GDP totalling about 7, 893 seem to be the lowest when compared to the other provinces.
Although more effort and plans are being put in place to revitalize the economy of the province by diversifying the economy, it has not been able to placate the deplorable standard of living in the area and has failed to profer a quick approach to alleviating the poverty rate in the area.
Recommended: Richest Musicians in Africa Currently
In a more subtle conclusion, the South African provinces are quite integral to the the political and economic system of the country. The South Africa’s provinces are well governed, in levels and for the purpose of clarity, it is governed on a national, provincial and local level basis. These provinces has done so well for themselves in terms of human capital development and has, on a regular basis, contributed to the National GDP of South Africa.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ACMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.