Best universities to study Pharmacy in Nigeria: Pharmacy is one of the most competitive and prestigious courses in Nigeria. It is also one of the best science courses any student can study in Nigeria because there are many opportunities that are open to graduates of pharmaceutical science in the country.
Nonetheless, the success of any pharmacist in largely depends on the institution he/she attended. While speaking to a professional pharmacist last week, he noted that one of the secrets that contributed to the growth of some of the top pharmacist in Nigeria is the university they attended.
Believe it or not, the school you choose to attend, actually goes a long way to decide how successful you will become in your profession. This is actually why i always advice my students to conduct thorough research before applying for admission in any university.
If you are aspiring to become a pharmacist and you are yet to decide which university to attend, thank God that you found this article on time. Today, i will disclose the best ten universities to study Pharmacy in Nigeria.
Recommended: Advantages and Disadvantages of Studying Abroad
Top 10 Universities to Study Pharmaceutical Science in Nigeria
1. University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN): The University of Nigeria, Nsukka is undoubtedly the best university to study Pharmacy in Nigeria. It was established in 1960 after Nigeria got her independence as the only indigenous university of Nigeria. UNN is located at Nsukka, Enugu state, Nigeria, though the university has campuses in other parts of the country.
Based on my research, UNN faculty of Pharmaceutical sciences started in 1967 as a Department in the Faculty of Science. However, after it was created the department did not function until 1970. This was particularly as a result of the civil war in Nigeria.
UNN faculty of Pharmaceutical sciences had its first set of graduates in 1974 (about 14 students left the school that year).
Since that time till now, UNN has graduated about 4,000 pharmacy (B.Pharm) graduates and 30 Bachelor of Science (B.Sc Combined Pharmacology/Biochemistry) graduates.
If you are really searching for the best university to study Pharmacy in Nigeria, UNN is undoubtedly the best. From the above, it is also clear that the university has one of the oldest faculties of pharmaceutical sciences in the country.
Meanwhile, before you apply, make sure you check UNN admission requirements for all courses here. This will help you to know what is required for admission into UNN this academic session.
2. Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU): Another cool university to study pharmacy in Nigeria is the prestigious Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife (OAU). OAU was established in 1960 as one of the federal institutions that will contribute to the growth and development of education in every part of Nigeria. The university is currently located at Ile-ife, Ilorin, Nigeria.
OAU faculty of Pharmaceutical science did not begin immediately OAU was founded. It was first established as a Department in the former Nigerian College of Arts, Science and Technology at Ibadan Branch, in 1957. It later started its activities after the Senate of Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) upgraded the Department into a full Faculty on the 1st October, 1969.
Around September 1972, the faculty of pharmacy was move to the school’s main campus to ensure convenience and to boost the status of the faculty. No doubt, OAU has one of the best faculties of Pharmaceutical science in Nigeria. I enjoin you to check OAU admission requirements and departmental cutoff marks here before apply for admission in the institution.
3. University of Ibadan (UI): If you are a citizen of Nigeria then you must have heard about the University of Ibadan (UI). It is the most prestigious and competitive institution in Nigeria. UI was established in 1948 during the colonial erra as a way of bringing education into Nigeria. Currently, the university is located at Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria.
As one of the best institutions in Nigeria, you need no one to tell you that UI has one of the best faculties of Pharmaceutical science in Nigeria. However, it is pertinent to note that UI is also very competitive. I mean, only students that meet the university’s admission requirements and departmental cutoff marks are offered admission into the school.
That notwithstanding, UI is still the best if you really want to study Pharmacy in Nigeria. According to the Dean of the school, the aim of the UI faculty of pharmaceutical science is to provide quality education that will ensure the production of highly competent graduates.
Accordingly, the institution is bent on producing students with professional attitude and skills that are able to contribute meaningfully to healthcare delivery.
As at the time this article was written, UI had six different departments under the faculty of pharmaceutical sciences, they include the following:
- Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Administration
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Pharmaceutics and Industrial Pharmacy
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- Pharmacology and Toxicology
Trust me; the University of Ibadan (UI) if one of the best schools in Nigeria to study Pharmacy. You can check out UI admission requirements here before you apply for admission.
4. University of Jos (UNIJOS): The University of Jos is one of the best state universities in Nigeria. The university was established in 1975 as a tool from ensure equitable growth and development of education in Nigeria.
Studying pharmacy in UNIJOS is just like taking a course in Harvard University because, UNIJOS is one of the most equipped Nigerian university. According to the research I conducted, UNIJOS faculty is Pharmaceutical sciences started around October 1983 in the defunct Federal University of Technology, Makurdi. However, when they were merged in 1984, it became a faculty in the university of Jos.
Believe it or not, UNIJOS is actually the best if you really want to study Pharmacy in Nigeria. In fact, there is no ranking of the best institutions on the internet that does not mention UNIJOS. This should tell you how prestigious the institution is.
UNIJOS faculty of pharmaceutical sciences currently has the following departments:
- Biotechnilogy Pharmaceutics
- Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy practice
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- Pharmaceutical technology and Industrial Pharmacy
- Pharmacognosy and Traditional Medicine
5. University of Lagos (UNILAG): The University of Lagos (Popularly known as UNILAG) is equally one of the best and most populated institutions in Nigeria, with about 57,183 students according to Wikipedia (2013). It is a first generation university in Nigeria because it was established in 1962 at Lagos state, Nigeria.
UNILAG faculty of Pharmaceutical science is apparently one of the best in Nigeria. Over the year, UNILAG has produced hundreds of professional pharmacists from this facility. You can check some of the top pharmacists that graduated from UNILAG in the university’s alumni list here.
One of the unique things you will love about UNILAG faculty of pharmacy is the prestige and competitive nature of the faculty. No doubt, UNILAG is one of the best for pharmacy in Nigeria.
The aim of the institution has been to be a world class Pharmacy Educational establishment for the Training of Top Class Pharmacists and Pharmaceutical Scientists at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
6. Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK): Faculty of pharmaceutical Sciences, UNIZIK is another powerful university to study Pharmacy in Nigeria with good reputation. It will also surprise you to know that UNIZIK has some of the best lecturers and professors in the field of pharmaceutical science. Research has also shown that UNIZIK ranks very high in the field of pharmaceutical research in Nigeria along with other federal universities in Nigeria.
To crown it all, the Faculty of pharmaceutical Sciences, UNIZIK is actually one of the cheapest in the country. It is made up of about 7 departments and equipped with the best resources for better learning. Indeed, the university is one of the best for pharmacy in Nigeria.
Recommended: Best Boarding Schools to Attend in Nigeria
7. Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU): Olabisi Onabanjo University is a state owned university located at Ogun state, Nigeria. The university has one of the best Faculty of Pharmacy amongst the hundreds of universities in Nigeria and that is why we are mentioning it here.
Generally speaking, Olabisi Onabanjo University is one of the oldest and largest state university in Nigeria. It was established in 1982 and was name after Chief Olabisi Onabanjo in 2021. Research from various shows that OOU has produced great and wonderful students in the field Pharmaceutical science of the last few years. Apparently, anyone will assume that they are doing the best.
Recommended: Most profitable skills to learn in 2022
8. University of Benin (UNIBEN): The University of Benin (Also known as UNIBEN) is one of the public research universities in Nigeria. It was formally called the Institute of Technology, however, this name was changed not too long after the university was created. UNIBEN was actually created in 1970 at Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria.
The faculty of pharmacy in UNIBEN began its operation in 1970 to cater for the mid-west states in Nigeria. The course is actually a six years course. After the six years, successful students of the institution will be given a B.Pharm.
UNIBEN has one of the best faculties for students that are aspiring to become pharmacists in the future. Nonetheless, it is advisable to check UNIBEN Admission Requirements and Departmental cutoff marks for all courses before going ahead to apply for admission in the institution.
9. Niger Delta University (NDU): Niger Delta University (NDU) is a state own university in Nigeria. The university was established in 2000 at Wilberforce Island, Amassoma, PMB 071, Bayelsa State, Nigeria. Current, NDU is not very competitive (compared with other federal universities in Nigeria) due to the fact that the Institution is actually new. Nonetheless, with time, I strongly believe that the university will become one of the best in Nigeria.
Conversely, if you are searching for a less competitive university that has a prestigious faculty of Pharmaceutical sciences, Niger Delta University is the best place for you. Many students and authors have actually attested to this fact.
Niger Delta University (NDU) is undoubtedly one of the best universities to study Pharmacy in Nigeria. To apply for admission into NDU, make sure you check the university’s admission requirements and departmental cutoff marks first. This will guide you on the things you need to gain admission into this session.
- Cheapest universities to attend in Nigeria: Top 10
- Cheapest universities to study law in Nigeria this year
10. Ahmadu Bello University (Abu) Zaria: Ahmadu Bello University (Abu) is another powerful Public research institution in Nigeria. The university was formerly called the University of Northern Nigeria, however, this name was changed when the it became a federal institution.
In case you do not have, ABU is a first generation university because the institution was established on the 4th of October, 1962, which makes it one of the foremost institutions in Nigeria.
The faculty of pharmaceutical sciences in ABU is one of the best for any student in Nigeria. It accepts applications from any part of the country so any student in Nigeria can apply for admission into the school as long as the university’s admission requirements are met.
According to a publication by the university, ABU faculty of Pharmaceutical sciences was created to produce educated and well-trained students that will be able to provide relevant pharmaceutical services to the public when they even leave the institution.
After studying pharmacy in ABU, students will be certified by the school and given a B.Sc degree in pharmacy.
If you wish to apply for admission into this prestigious university, i enjoin to, first of all, check the ABU’s departmental cutoff marks far all courses here.
10. University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID): University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) is a state government owned public institution in Nigeria. It was established in 1975 at Maiduguri, North East, Borno, Nigeria.
UNIMAID is popularly known for its high number of educated and prestigious Lecturers in the field of science. Just last year, (2019), a lecture of the this prestigious University was reported to have won an award after participating in the world physics championship according ot Sahara Reporters.
UNIMAID is a great place to study pharmacy in Nigeria because the university has a very high status in every field of sciences. The aim of the institution is to inculcate in students a sense of appreciation of the pharmacy profession. Thus, by schooling in UNIMAID, you are being prepared for the pharmacy profession.
I strongly recommend that you check UNIMAID admission requirements and departmental cutoff of marks before you apply for admission into the institution.
Now that you have known the best institutions to study Pharmacy in Nigeria, I strongly recommend that you go through the above list again, then decide which of them will be best for you. Make sure you consider the following; location of the institution, school fees and admission requirements of the institution. By doing this, you will be able to choose the best institution for yourself.
Meanwhile, this is where I am going to end for today. I would like to hear from you if you have any question. I promise to give you a reply as soon as I can.
Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka ACMC, is a Law Student and a Certified Mediator/Conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and React Native. Samuel is bent on changing the legal profession by building Web and Mobile Apps that will make legal research a lot easier.